Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Replacing 5 amp breaker for "auto bilge"

Fman

Looking to upgrade the current 5 amp auto bilge breaker located under helm/gear shifter in drivers area to a 15 amp. I am now running 2 bilge pumps, but the 5 amp will not handle the draw and needs to be bumped up to 10 or 15 amps. Has anyone replaced one of the manual breaker switches? The inline fuses are complete, now I just need the breaker replaced.

Thanks,

Travis

Edited by Fman

Fman, I was having issues with the (10 amp) fuse for my starter continually blowing. When my kid was cycling the Malivue on/off to look at the screen as kids will do :dontknow: the starter fuse would see a power spike one too many times and get too hot and blow I guess . I replaced it with a 20 amp fuse and have had no issues since. I understand that under normal circumstrances that this would not be a good solution and probably indicate another/bigger problem that needs to be looked into, but in my situation I don't think that the jump from a 10 amp to a 20 amp fuse is a beer can and bailing wire fix. Going 50, 80 amp definately a redneck no no! IMO in your case I don't think a jump to a 10 or 15 amp fuse is going to create a safety issue, especially on something that sees little normal use at least for me. I did replace some inline fuses on my older boat with manual breakers and loved the convenience especially for my amps. Be careful that you get ones that are quality/brand name. I initially bought some cheap ones and when I was screwing them in by hand with a screw driver I over tightend one and it wouldn't work when the body cracked.