Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Surf style boards in rack?

swankrides

So I just purchased a Ronix One Skimmer and it is my first surf style wakesurf board. The salesman who sold me the board said that he didn't recommend putting it in rack on the tower and that he just keeps his up in the bow. He mentioned that rack and the force applied by the bungee could damage the board. I know that the surf style boards are more fragile than the compression molded boards, but are they too fragile to put in the rack? The reason I ask is that my new board doesn't fit in my wakeboard racks, so if I want to keep the board off the floor, I will need to get a surf rack that it will fit in. But before I drop the cash for a new rack, I want to make sure that the rack won't cause any damage to my board. I guess I should let you know that I have a Titan II tower and am considering just replacing the wakeboard forks with the vinyl dipped double surf forks from Star One. So let's hear it from you guys, have any of you had any trouble with your racks causing damage to your surf style wakesurf boards?

I have a new XXX slasher 5.0 that is a surf style styro core and glass. I have a large rack and bungee that I have been storing this board all summer. No problems at all. My surf rack is quite a bit larger than the board so the only pressure on the board is the bungee and the inside two points. Certainly seems a little loose but it stays there when we are traveling on the water.

So I just purchased a Ronix One Skimmer and it is my first surf style wakesurf board. The salesman who sold me the board said that he didn't recommend putting it in rack on the tower and that he just keeps his up in the bow. He mentioned that rack and the force applied by the bungee could damage the board. I know that the surf style boards are more fragile than the compression molded boards, but are they too fragile to put in the rack? The reason I ask is that my new board doesn't fit in my wakeboard racks, so if I want to keep the board off the floor, I will need to get a surf rack that it will fit in. But before I drop the cash for a new rack, I want to make sure that the rack won't cause any damage to my board. I guess I should let you know that I have a Titan II tower and am considering just replacing the wakeboard forks with the vinyl dipped double surf forks from Star One. So let's hear it from you guys, have any of you had any trouble with your racks causing damage to your surf style wakesurf boards?

Been using two boards in our VLX all summer with bungees, and no problems. To lighten the tension, just hook the bungee on one spline of the rack, it will hold the board but wont put a lot of pressure on them.

I keep my Slasher XXX Pro in a rack as well. Just be careful and make sure the bungee isn't like a banjo string. The skim boards will wear over time. Not much you can do - they are just very delicate. I would be willing to bet mine would get beat up worse of it didn't live in the rack, but on the floor.

Surfers have been strapping boards to the top of their cars for decades. I'd be more afraid of someone stepping or sitting on it if it wasn't in a rack.

Stoked to hear you decided on a board! I might have to poach a ride on that thing one of these days :biggrin:

We keep Ruffdogs XXX Slasher slid in between the driver seat and gunnel with the nose of the board down by the drivers feet and back of the board resting on the seat above the cooler. Works pretty well. Only a pain when you need to use reverse and then you just bump the board up with your elbow slightly. Not a bad option if you decide you don't want to put it in the rack (the floor doesn't seem like a viable option to me, too risky)....

When on my boat (and not BS001s) I put my board in a surf rack. What I did was put pipe wrap on the legs of the rack. It takes up some of the slack and is nice and soft. I don't believe my rack has caused any damage to the board at all....and its a very fragile board.

I would venture to guess you would be ok putting that board in a surf rack....if there is any sloppyness at all try the foam pipe insulation.

However......putting in behind the drivers seat like BS001 described hasn't damaged it either.....A cheaper alternative for sure. I sometimes feel like its a bit of a PITA though especially if you load your boat up with people.

Edited by Ruffdog

Stoked to hear you decided on a board! I might have to poach a ride on that thing one of these days :biggrin:

We keep Ruffdogs XXX Slasher slid in between the driver seat and gunnel with the nose of the board down by the drivers feet and back of the board resting on the seat above the cooler. Works pretty well. Only a pain when you need to use reverse and then you just bump the board up with your elbow slightly. Not a bad option if you decide you don't want to put it in the rack (the floor doesn't seem like a viable option to me, too risky)....

You can ride it any time. :surfing: I owe you a pull too, so let me know what days work best for you and we'll make it happen. Trying to get as many rides as I can before the season ends, so maybe we can go during the week after work if that works for you. Ruffdog, you're welcome too, for that matter any other local Crew Members.

i have a Ronix Coal that i used to put in the racks all of the time. however, one time we were on the river and it got pretty choppy on the run home. when we got home, my board was cracked and the corners were damaged where the bungees were holding the board. now the board lives in the bow.

i have a Ronix Coal that i used to put in the racks all of the time. however, one time we were on the river and it got pretty choppy on the run home. when we got home, my board was cracked and the corners were damaged where the bungees were holding the board. now the board lives in the bow.

Ouch! Ok, good to know.

Anyone else have their surfboards damage in the racks?

You can ride it any time. :surfing: I owe you a pull too, so let me know what days work best for you and we'll make it happen. Trying to get as many rides as I can before the season ends, so maybe we can go during the week after work if that works for you. Ruffdog, you're welcome too, for that matter any other local Crew Members.

During the week is great. I'm available after work tomorrow....then again every day next week. Shoot me a PM if any of that works.

I also have longer bungees so they are not so tight on the boards.. If you order a pair of forks remind me of this thread and I will give you a killer deal on the longer one. Maybe even free :biggrin:

I also have longer bungees so they are not so tight on the boards.. If you order a pair of forks remind me of this thread and I will give you a killer deal on the longer one. Maybe even free :biggrin:

Thanks Brett, I'm still trying decide what I want to do. My surfboard will fit in my wakeboard dipped forks, but it is just too tight of a fit for my liking; the forks compress the foot grip/pad making the fit so tight that I worry the forks will dent the board. It looks like your Wide Surfboard rack is way too wide for my board; I don't want too much slop. Your Double Surf forks look like they are not as wide. How thick of a board will fit in your surf forks? Also, are the surf forks longer than the wakeboard forks? Sorry for all the questions.

One guy on my lake took a 3.5' length of heavy poly tubing, bent it into a U shape and pushed it onto the end of his forks. This extends the fork arm and provides additional support under the boards. Seeme to work pretty well for him. When he's not surfing, he just pulls the tube off.

T

Sweet thanks for the offer! Always good to have a bigger network of people as sometimes its difficult to find a third.

If I know in advance I can be at the river by 3:15.....somedays earlier.