Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Hull stain

I have a white hull and am starting to get large brown stains on the hull. They are below the waterline. The boat Has only been in the water for a max of 12 hours a day. It is usually only in the water for about 4-5 hours at a time and I wipe it down and clean after every time out. Any idea what these big brown spots are from and what can I do to get rid of them?

I use a product called Zing. People also use toilet bowl cleaner and hydrogen peroxide mixed 50/50. You can also get powder form Oxalic acid which is cheap and mix it with water.Just watch your eyes and dont' get the stuff on your trailer, dont get it on your skin and stay up wind from it.

I use starbrite hull cleaner. its strong and fast and you know its good because its eats your skin also...great stuff

+1 for starbrite. I just tried this stuff and it works great... The bottom of my white hull was starting to turn brown from sitting in the water. Starbrite removed the brown stuff completely.

I use starbrite hull cleaner. its strong and fast and you know its good because its eats your skin also...great stuff

HEhe, #2 for Starbrite. I think it's muriatic acid. Nasty stuff. But cleans it right up. Takes weeks for it to grow on my boat though. If I pull the boat every couple weeks I can clean it with soap & water.

I use a product called Zing. People also use toilet bowl cleaner and hydrogen peroxide mixed 50/50. You can also get powder form Oxalic acid which is cheap and mix it with water.Just watch your eyes and dont' get the stuff on your trailer, dont get it on your skin and stay up wind from it.

This sound like some sort of BioHazard! Not sure I would use this!!!!! :crazy: Do you need to wear a MASK????

HEhe, #2 for Starbrite. I think it's muriatic acid. Nasty stuff. But cleans it right up. Takes weeks for it to grow on my boat though. If I pull the boat every couple weeks I can clean it with soap & water.

Bill

Do you keep your boat on a lift?

Bill

Do you keep your boat on a lift?

I wish. I live in a shared waterfront community. We have 17 boat slips on a floating dock. Each slip is about 20' long x 20' wide & holds 2 boats. The docks are a few years old & pre-date wake sport boats. But we make it work. These days we have 4 Malibus, 3 Mastercrafts, a Sanger, a Wake Challenger & a few I/Os or fishing boats. The guy right next to me has a nice older MC 205. Most of us have made the PVC standoffs so we don't have to use bumpers at all, and can unhook or rehook up easily.

So long story short is we'd have to use a lift that is tied to the dock, no anchors or resting on the bottom, and only takes up a 10' wide slip. I've thought about using an AirDock or a JetDock, but have not ever pulled the trigger.

This sound like some sort of BioHazard! Not sure I would use this!!!!! :crazy: Do you need to wear a MASK????

All three of these I mentioned are considerably less potent and dangerous than muriatic acid.....which seems quite common for this application.

People also use toilet bowl cleaner and hydrogen peroxide mixed 50/50.

Works great, cheap, but watch where you spray it!!! The mixture does wonders to drip molded decals and chromed finished pieces like vent covers.

I have used Zing, Starbrite, and Muraitic Acid. They all work the same, and Muraitic Acid is the cheapest, you can get it by the gallon at the hardware store. Muraitic Acid is the same as hydrochloric acid, and I think the other two are based on the same chemical. So basically you can get the diluted stuff by purchasing Zing or Starbrite, or just buy the Muraitic Acid and dilute it yourself. I spray it on with a little spray bottle, but I think a garden pump sprayer would be the best. It's corrosive, but totally water soluble. It won't eat away your carpeting on your bunks, or your paint, or gel coat, and I have not seen it affect the decals on my stuff. Pretty much it attacks organic material. I use full strength, spray it on a dry hull on one side, then rinse. Then the other side, then rinse. Then reach under and do the bottom of the hull, then rinse. No problems.

That said, it is a tough chemical. At less than 25% pure it is an irritant. At 25% or more pure it is a corrosive. Again, the good news is that it is water soluble, so it is very easy to clean up and rinse if you do get some on your hands (bound to happen).

• 3 weeks later...

Tried Tonys toilet cleaner today and It worked like magic.

Mixed the 50/50 hydrogen peroxide and toile cleaner and the brown stains came right off.

Just wanted to say thanks

Which product is best suited for our Bu's that stay on lifts?

Or which will not affect the galvanized frame & plastic tanks and have the least affect on the lake water?