Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Broken Ankle, Seasons Over!

WoodyBC

What an awesome summer. I was able get the boat of my dreams, my skiing has improved , and bang. A simple slide out and wipeout on the slalom broke my ankle. My rear foot came out when the rear of the ski kicked out, and my front foot stayed in the binding. The ski snapped side to side, and I heard a crunching sound as I slid to a stop. I knew it was bad even before I stopped sliding. Pulled the ski off quickly and climbed out of the water. My son drove me to shore and neighbors helped put me on the deck. Ice, xrays, and yup a cast. I see the surgeon in a few days. My season is all done, thankfully the year is almost over. Still, I've had an awesome summer. I love the boat, and I can still drive if anyone wants to ski! Thanks Malibu Crew for everything, very awesome site.

So I'm looking to avoid this happening again. I have a binding that locks my front foot in solid. My foot never comes out. Ever. Do I need to get a rear binding to keep my rear foot locked in too so when I crash everything stays put, or do I get a different kind of binding that allows my front foot to come out when I wipe it. I like the binding and have had it 3 seasons. Any suggestions? I don't want some sloppy binding that my foot swims around in….

This is the reason why I went with double boots on my slalom ski. Not that the same thing can't happen, but it sure lessons the chances.

Good luck with your recovery.

Tha's a bummer, sorry to hear it. Like you say, at least it's the end of the year, and not the start.

A couple of years ago when I first got my Echelon I came from an I/O. Well, this wake, with the wedge down, was a night-and-day difference...much bigger. I cut hard into the wake to attempt a front roll, and partially caught the front edge of the board. So there I am, flying upside down across the wake, with one foot in and one foot out. I just kept thinking "DISENGAGE, DISENGAGE!!" and wishing I could pull a cord or something.

I dont know how you managed to get the boot off your foot without passing out(oh right adrenaline). yikes! Good luck on your recovery.

I learned to slalom with a rear toe plate and moved quickly to a double boot. And very tight ones. I think any time you manage to pull a foot out of a binding/boot the outcome can be broken ankle, torn up knee or dislocated hip.

I have a pair of Approach boots and I have not come out of them yet. I am a recreational open water skier only tho...

God Bless you man, stay postiive and the healing process will be over by spring, do everything your physical theripest says to do and it will help strenghten the ankle. I still do the excercizes to keep the injuries down (not fool proof but I am sure it helps).

I had double bindings in college, you might want to look into those. As mentioned above it wont keep this from ever happening but it will lesson the chances.

I have double boots on my F1, if I crash hard enough both feet will come out, rather get away from my ski than having it smack me! :thumbup: It swhat is confortable for you, if you feel like its is better too not come out just tighten up your bindings moe. Mine are very tight, but they still alow me to come out. Ski at 34mph and 15 off in the course, so not a pro by no means. My buddy had the same thing happen, but both feet stayed in his bindings, broke his rear ankle. you just never know! good luck with the recovery, the next season willl be here sooner than later! :clap:

Since this happened, I'm shocked that it didn't happen sooner. Hindsight is 20/20 and makes sense that you are gonna tear something up eventually. I'm a free skier, and good enough that I plan to put a course on my lake in the spring. I usually run at 35 and it feels really stable. I have tried a ski with two boots, but found it difficult to get up on. It was a small ski, and behind my old I/O. Maybe things are different now with the BU, certainly gonna yank me up quicker, gotta do something, I certainly don't want this to happen again. Love the speed on slalom, and I've got a little show dog in me so its a fun thing to do.

God Bless you man, stay postiive and the healing process will be over by spring, do everything your physical theripest says to do and it will help strenghten the ankle. I still do the excercizes to keep the injuries down (not fool proof but I am sure it helps).

I had double bindings in college, you might want to look into those. As mentioned above it wont keep this from ever happening but it will lesson the chances.

:plus1:

You've got a great attitude! Glad to hear your lovin' the Bu. Sorry to hear about the ankle. Take it easy and heal up right over the off season then you'll be ready to rock in the spring. Rockon.gif

Positive thinking!!!!! One of our crew broke his leg late last year. He had surgery the next day. A plate and 13 screws and he is back this year. We skied twice today and I think he skied the best I have seen him ski this afternoon.

It is best if you keep two in or two out, no question. Radar Strada binding are getting very good reviews many from people coming back from injuries.

Good luck.

I feel you. Had a OTF and both feet stayed in. Radar Senate with Rail bindings. Pretty much my fault, I had the tops of the bindings too tight, feet didn't release. Like you I heard popping and crunching, but mine is a bad sprain. I picked up a 2012 Senate, debated about the Strada bindings, but I went with the Wileys. Hopefully to lesson chances of getting hurt again.

Positive thinking!!!!! One of our crew broke his leg late last year. He had surgery the next day. A plate and 13 screws and he is back this year. We skied twice today and I think he skied the best I have seen him ski this afternoon.

It is best if you keep two in or two out, no question. Radar Strada binding are getting very good reviews many from people coming back from injuries.

Good luck.

Have not tried the Strada binding, but have skied in Wiley double boots for about 24 years and have never come out when I didn't want to, and have never not come out when I needed to. I think the idea of the boot coming off of the ski is a good one though. Would love to try them sometime.

I sure appreciate the feedback. I'm couching it with a laptop, a credit card, and a lot of time on my hands.. Maybe a big brown truck will be a honkin' out front in a few days. She'll be thrilled with me.

My beautiful wife (God bless her, she is so good to me) says, "you never got hurt on the old boat." I quickly responded, "true, but I looked awesome doing it behind the BU!"

Have not tried the Strada binding, but have skied in Wiley double boots for about 24 years and have never come out when I didn't want to, and have never not come out when I needed to. I think the idea of the boot coming off of the ski is a good one though. Would love to try them sometime.

I am a Wiley's guy myself and love them. I have had one or two falls that only one foot released but no damage and never felt bad so I think the release was not needed.

I have watched and read binding reports and discussionstions for years. I have not skied Strada binding so my input is from other people. I would not hesitate to ride Wiley's

and do not see myself changing any time soon.

Took a fall yesterday both feet out only thing hurting was my head. :biggrin:

bummer man, this same exact accident happened to me last season when i was skiing behind my 25. my back foot flew out when i went to cross the wake and bam broken ankle. i now ride a double booted ski so my foot cant fly out, u never know whats gonna happen, also bought an old malibu skier that actually has decent wake to slalom behind. that 25's wake is just unforgiving. hope it works out for you man, good luck