Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Bow rail rust

Johcha

My '04 Response is having rust issues on the drivers side stainless steel bow rail. It is mostly on the posts where they emerges from the gelcoat. The rust stains is also beginning to color the gelcoat. Anyone else having this issue? Any suggested remedies for removing the stains ans preventing them from coming back?

My '04 Response is having rust issues on the drivers side stainless steel bow rail. It is mostly on the posts where they emerges from the gelcoat. The rust stains is also beginning to color the gelcoat. Anyone else having this issue? Any suggested remedies for removing the stains ans preventing them from coming back?

I haven't had any problems with rust on my '05. Are you using the boat in salt or brackish water?

My '03 is showing signs of this, nothing but freshwater usage, wiped down religiously after each use. Not a large scale thing by any means, just hard to clean right at the base of the attachment points. I suspect the only way to clean it up would be to remove the rails, clean the ends, and clean the gel.

Are they stainless for sure? Or could they be chromed aluminum and the chrome is starting to fail? My suggestion would be pull them off and polish them up and buff out the spots on the gel...

Same issue on my 08 wakesetter. Cant really get at the spot, even a qtip is too big. I was thinking about pulling the rail this week actually. I'll post a write-up if I do.

Has anyone tried a toothbrush and polish? That should work. Used to do that a lot with motorcycles. Toothbrush and polish, the bristles work their way into the smallest spaces. Clean the toothbrush, then hit the area with the dry and clean toothbrush. Then hit the area with the same toothbrush and wax.

I haven't had any problems with rust on my '05. Are you using the boat in salt or brackish water?

Only fresh water!

My '03 is showing signs of this, nothing but freshwater usage, wiped down religiously after each use. Not a large scale thing by any means, just hard to clean right at the base of the attachment points. I suspect the only way to clean it up would be to remove the rails, clean the ends, and clean the gel.

My issue is not large scale either, but I don't wan it to get worse. Removing the rails is going to be one of my end of season projects. It was suggested by a neighbor that the bolt holding the rail may not be as high quality of stainless (or not stainless at all) and it is causing the problem.

Are they stainless for sure? Or could they be chromed aluminum and the chrome is starting to fail? My suggestion would be pull them off and polish them up and buff out the spots on the gel...

It is definately stainless.

It is definately stainless.

But not "stain proof" Stainless can still have ferrous material in it and rust. I see it all the time since we have a lot of salt water customers around us. If you polish it you can remove rust out but I've seen it on everything from Power wedges, Titan towers, Malibu emblems to even cup holders.

Just polish it out and you will be all good.

-Paul