Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Thinking of selling my boat

RTS

I am contemplating selling my boat. Uncertain economic times for me combined with lack of use are driving the decision. I have the impression that I would possibly get more money for the boat at the start of next season, but wonder how much the difference would be versus selling now. Does this thoery even hold true in warmer climates like Florida?

This would be no fire sale. This is (currently) a pro active decision on my part that will be met with heavy resistance from my wife. The boat is paid for so costs me very little monthly. The boat is in prime condition (9.5+ easy) with low hours, and as such I would be looking for top dollar. I'm just wondering if top dollar would be easier to come by at the start of next summer.

Any ideas on if I should list it now or wait until next summer?

i have a friend in the orlando area looking for a boat thats in really good shape about that year. can you email me some pics, specs, and asking price

[email protected]

thanks

as to your question, i dont really think it matters in fl...little slower this time of year but you can always throw it on craigslists etc for zero effort.

I will send some pictures tonight. As for specs, not quite ready to get detailed, but some basics are...2002 Sunsetter Lxi. No tower, stock stereo. A little less than 200 hours on the Monsoon. Perfectly maintained with records to prove it. Stored at indoor valet storage place (gelcoat looks new...boat has been in the sun only when it was in the water...never spent a night outdoors) Price? I don't know, but would guess mid 20's, minimum.

Edited by RTS

If I were in your shoes, I'd spend a bit of time pulling together a good group of pics as well as a detailed description...along with a firm price that's inline with what you want out of the boat. Put it out there now and see what happens.

Your contributing knowledge / history on this site will help justify the price. Also, the SLXi continues to be a very sought after boat.

FWIW - I did the above when I sold my old SLXi...had a gent fly 2,000 miles to buy it sight unseen for my slightly inflated asking price. He was overjoyed with the purchase.

Best of luck in your decision,

edwin

If it were me I'd make sure it's listed on websites that those from Australia and NZ get views of it. They pay top dollar because boats there cost so much more and it's cheaper to buy them and have them shipped, plus it's spring just about there.

I'm in the same shoes you are and decided to go ahead and put it up for sale. In no hurry but unfortunately it is time to sell it before I get to the point where I have to and don't have the time to wait.

Here is the link if anyone is interested in the Skier http://www.themalibucrew.com/forums/index.php?/topic/34361-88-malibu-skier/

Edited by skier_88

If it were me I'd make sure it's listed on websites that those from Australia and NZ get views of it. They pay top dollar because boats there cost so much more and it's cheaper to buy them and have them shipped, plus it's spring just about there.

When I listed my vride on onlyinboards.com I had several legit (or at least seemingly so) hits from australian buyers.

But I ended up selling locally via craigslist on the day I listed.

When I listed my vride on onlyinboards.com I had several legit (or at least seemingly so) hits from australian buyers.

But I ended up selling locally via craigslist on the day I listed.

Not to hyjack this thread, but when you're selling via Craig's List, are you asking for all cash (i.e., does the buyer bring $30,000 in hundred dollar bills)?

Thanks.

Donnie

If it were me, I'd put it up for sale now for slightly more than I wanted since you're not in a "have to sell" mode yet. That way you can come down to what you really want rather than selling below. If it doesn't sell then it probably will at the beginning of the season. If it does sell now, then you've gotten what you wanted and saved in winter storage fees(if there is a winter in Florida :crazy:). Good luck with your decision.

• 1 year later...

Any ideas which website/forums get the traffic from Australia and NZ? I am getting ready to list my LSV for sale and I want to exhaust all options. Thanks!

Not to hyjack this thread, but when you're selling via Craig's List, are you asking for all cash (i.e., does the buyer bring $30,000 in hundred dollar bills)?

Thanks.

Donnie

Cashiers check, drawn on local bank. If you are not comfortable with that go to the bank with the buyer and have them draw the check while you are there. That is assuming you hold titles to your boat and trailer. Otherwise they will have to make the check out to the title holder.

EDIT - I new that RTS had considered selling his boat a while ago, but I didn't even catch that the post I replied to was a year old :blush: since this thread got new life yesterday.

Edited by MalibuTime
  • Like 1

If you do have to sell, you wont have any problem with interested buyers.

But, I noticed in your original post about the wife, boat being paid off and I'm sure you enjoy the boat. Those things have huge value, maybe more than that 20 someting grand ? I think so.

Hope in the end, you dont have to sell, but if you do, best to you on the sale. A boat like that may be my next one...

Steve B.