Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

All 4 trailer wheels... Bent?

bmontini

2008 model year, Boatmate trailer for a 08 WS 23LSV....

All 4 wheels are leaning in at the top. Causing DRASTIC inner edge tire where...

If I put a level on the wheel top to bottom, over 1 bubble off from plumb....

The inner edge of the tires look like they have 50k miles on them. the rest of the tires look like they should for the 6k miles on them...

Even looking under the boat, the torsion axles seem to all be NOT perpendicular to trailer axle...

Any thoughs at all? my dealer has never seen this.. Any one have a contact at boatmate?

Any thoughs at all? my dealer has never seen this.. Any one have a contact at boatmate?

I sent an email through the Boarmate website and got an almost immediate response from them when I had questions on tires.

You might start with that.

I have a similiar problem with my 04 BoatMate trailer. But its just the 2 rear wheels.

I sent an email to boatmate (Owen) thinking there was an adjustment for the alignment.

They responded that I must of hit something and bent an axle or torsion arm.

I have never encountered this problem before on any of my other trailers (none were BM) .

Ken

All 4 wheels are leaning in at the top. Causing DRASTIC inner edge tire where...

If I put a level on the wheel top to bottom, over 1 bubble off from plumb....

The inner edge of the tires look like they have 50k miles on them. the rest of the tires look like they should for the 6k miles on them...

Even looking under the boat, the torsion axles seem to all be NOT perpendicular to trailer axle...

What you are describing is a bent axle, not wheels. If the wheel was bent it would oscilate when turning, not always be canted inward at the top.

Wow - both axles? Couple ways to do it, but basically you esxceeded the design spec weight on the axles and they bent. Some places will say they can be straightened (they can be) but I woudl not do it. just replace both. This can be done in your driveway if you order the axles.

Thanks to everyone for all of the replies...

1. No overloading... the only thing that I trailer in the boat besides the stock (as delivered gear) is life jackets, and wakeboards (NEVER extra ballast! )

2. Checked the bearings, no slop at all

3. never jackknifed

4. Dealer told me Boatmate warranty is one year only, so I didn't talk to them yet, however, dealer is checking to see if BM has ever heard of this..

What is really strange is that if you look closely at the where the torsion arm clamps onto the spline that goes intot he axel tube... that splined connection actually seems to be angling up ever so slightly causing the torsion arm to appear out of plumb...

EITHER WAY.. I would love to continue this conversation to see what may have happend/caused this...

I want to give props to another member who PM'd me.... I don't know if I should put his name up (but you know who you are!), so I will just tell you. You might have another option.. PM me ONLY IF you REALLY need help with this. I just saved about $1300 by not having to get new axels from BM...

THANK YOU MalibuCrew member xxxxxxxxxxx