Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Speedo Not Reading

BlknYlwT22

We had the Marina on the lake pull the boat out for an oil change (used a forklift) and when we got the boat back the display was changed so I pressed the display button to change it to what I wanted. In the midst of doing this I may have accidentally hit the speedo switch that is next to the display switch. Now the analog and digital speedos are not registering anything. This is our first year with a Malibu and the speedo has worked just fine on the boat all year. I tried pushing the speedo button numerous times to see if that would bring it back but had no success. Is the speedo broken or is it a simple setting that needs to be changed. Thanks for the help!

no ideas?

Have you tried the gauge test to see if the needle still moves during the test?

Is the paddlewheel under the boat damaged, perhaps by the forklift?

Edited by Indyxc

I am guessing forklift crushed the paddlewheel. Very easy to do lifting that way.

Not to sound dumb but what is the guage test and how do I perform it.

I am guessing forklift crushed the paddlewheel. Very easy to do lifting that way.

I'm not sure of what to look for on the hull of the boat. Where is the paddlewheel located.

port side of the boat.

If boat is out of water pull the center rear seat and it will be the thru-hull fitting on the port side of the v-drive. It can be unscrewed without tools. pull it out and look at it. the paddle wheel itself should spin freely and not be missing any paddles.

If still in water - you will need the dead plug for that hole you can swap them quickly. Otherwise you need to get in the water to check.

port side of the boat.

If boat is out of water pull the center rear seat and it will be the thru-hull fitting on the port side of the v-drive. It can be unscrewed without tools. pull it out and look at it. the paddle wheel itself should spin freely and not be missing any paddles.

If still in water - you will need the dead plug for that hole you can swap them quickly. Otherwise you need to get in the water to check.

The boat is sitting on a lift so it should be fairly easy to check. Thanks for the pointers.

The boat is sitting on a lift so it should be fairly easy to check. Thanks for the pointers.

Yup, it's right next to the v-drive on the starboard side. Hop under the boat, and see if it's crushed, or even still spins.

Since you said both your digital and analog mph doesn't work (I missed read that) it's probably the wheel.

Edited by Indyxc