Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

1998 320hp fuel injected engine any good ?

uk_exile

Hi

I'm thinking about buying a malibu and found a 1998 Response LX, ex USA (exported to NZ 2004) with a 320hp indmar fuel injected engine. Is that engine a good model ?

There aren't many used avialable in New Zealand so may need to consider importing if this one isn't ok.

Hi

I'm thinking about buying a malibu and found a 1998 Response LX, ex USA (exported to NZ 2004) with a 320hp indmar fuel injected engine. Is that engine a good model ?

There aren't many used avialable in New Zealand so may need to consider importing if this one isn't ok.

Bulletproof !

Yep, it's just an earlier generation of the Monsoon 340 that is still in use today. Over the years they were able to get a bit more power out of it by, I believe, redoing the intake manifold and putting on the new ETX exhaust manifolds.

Can't go wrong with it.

Mike

Yes the 320HP Monsoon is a good engine..same GM 5.7 liter Vortex engine in the Monsoon used today but uses a GM MEFI III Electronic Control Unit and different Intake manifold. I have one in a 96 RLX and it is still pulling strong.

Excellent, it's likely worth the flights to go look at it then. Shame it's worth so much here compared to what it's worth in USA. Asking price is equivalent to US$29000 ! Shocking.gif That's for a 1998 Response LX with tower on single axle braked trailer, done 300hrs. See http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/B...on-44805341.htm

Looked into importing myself from USA and seems to cost approx US$4000 for freight, US$700 insurance, plus import duty, plus tax meaning a used malibu brought for US$20000 in USA would cost me almost 50% more by the time it's landed here & ready to go. And of course I'd be buying without trying, no come back if problems etc.

Malibus are also made in Australia and there is a New Zealand dealer who sells the Australian made mals. While he has plenty of new boats :) (equiv US$45k+ :( ), there are very few used examples avialable & almost all used Australian made mals sell for equiv to US$35000+ (sadly above my max budget Cry.gif )

That boat looks pretty nice...The only issues it might have is that the gel coat may be cracking where the tower meets the deck. The installer should have added some aluminum backing plates to strengthen the area and distribute the load. They don't come with the tower so that boat may not have them.

I think it would really be a hassle to find a good boat in the USA and ship it back to NZ. It would take weeks just to find one. I spent 3 months trying to find one and drove thousands of miles. Shopping for a boat is not how I would want to spend my vacation...I would rather pay more and enjoy the boat during my time off.

Yep, it's just an earlier generation of the Monsoon 340 that is still in use today. Over the years they were able to get a bit more power out of it by, I believe, redoing the intake manifold and putting on the new ETX exhaust manifolds.

Can't go wrong with it.

Mike

What he said, and as LS-1 said "Bulletproof".

You ought to buy one on the East Coast of the US and Drive it back!!

Um......didn't you mean west coast? Tongue.gif

I'd never take a towboat into saltwater. Not great for the boat plus salt water tastes nasty !