Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Gas Shocks

Where's a good place to get replacement gas shocks that hold the compartment cushions open. The one on my observer's seat has about had enough... it really can't hold the seatback up anymore unless I hold it in the open position for a few seconds first.

I remember someone posting the exact part number for the shocks Malibu uses on MBO a long time ago. I know they can be had for cheap but I can't recall the manufacturer. Where's Tom when you need him?

Any auto parts store or RV supply should carry them or order them for you if you don't want to go through the dealer. They will want to know, however, the pressure needed in pounds. I don't know what the number is for those, but the dealer should know or find out for you.

I put new ones on my boat last year and purchased them from the local Napa auto parts store.

On the body of the shock it will tell you how many pounds of force they are, and then all you do is match up the stroke and the end mounts.

CB

I just ordered a replacement one from service plus... not cheap, but it is a direct replacment of the origional.

I had a difficult time finding a replacement from the local parts shops, including west marine. I found the length when closed to be the issue - the ones I could get (other than the service plus replacement) didn't compress enough

The part I bought, was for the rear locker.. which is the same as the engine cover - I think it is also the same as the observer seat. Part number is SPD-GS-5200-30

Totally agree - that the right part is worth it. Having to shop around, to find replacments, then to discover they didn't fit- then return them was worth the extra $20 (even if it is 80% more)

Totally agree - that the right part is worth it.  Having to shop around, to find replacments, then to discover they didn't fit- then return them was worth the extra $20 (even if it is 80% more)

You ain't kidding, especially for those who have limited time on their hands to make repairs.

Yea - they ARE only $27... but they F-ya in the drive thru...

One shock (should have ordered a bunch..)

Subtotal: $27.28

Discount: $0.00

Tax: $0.00

Shipping:$15.00

Total:$42.28

I got a replacement one from NAPA for my glove box.....$30

The new one was only a little stronger than the old one so, I asked if I could get one with more pressure. No problem, they took the special ordered part back and ordered me a new one with twice the pressure at no extra charge and I'm twice as happy with it.

• 8 years later...

I had to get 2 replacements today for my motor cover on my 01 VLX. O'reilly's had something similar to them in stock, hood lift for 02-06 Jeep - part number SG314037 @ $22.99 each.