Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2011 Malibu owners, problems, hours this season?

Fman

Doesn't appear that the 2012 MXZ 22 is any better than what I'm seeing for issues in his thread. I've had my boat for 3 weeks and 2 of those weeks, it's been at the dealer having replacements and repairs done.

List of issues:

-Drivers side dash stitching is coming apart in multiple places and requires a FULL dash replacement

-All 4 boat cleats were hand tight when the boat was delivered; allowing them to move around, scratching the exterior paint

-Rear right transom seat cushion stitching has come apart; requires complete replacement of the cushions

-Swim platform pad started coming up; was not glued down properly

-Nuts, bolts and washers were found all over inside the engine bay

-Rub rail on the right side of the boat is rusting and needs replacement

-G3 tower does not align properly with the hinges and is buckling on itself

-Drivers side (walk way to the bow) leather trim panel is popping off by the speakers, right by where the drivers left knee would be

-Panel is loose and screws that are supposed to hold the panel in from the back side are either a) missing or b) stripped

-Drivers side panel below the throttle/above the cup holder (near the turn key) is loose and moves around - Appears to never have been tightened during construction from the inside – very flimsy

-Screw holes are stripped at the base of the driver’s seat on the 6-screw panel near the base of the floor

-Large storage compartment that opens up into the engine, right side, shock hinge that holds the compartment open has completely broken off

-MXZ 22 Non-skid Deck Trac is rolling up on the edges near the bow of the boat and appears that it will not last more than one season

-On both sides of the boat (on the black colored paint) there is some kind of rub rash

At this point, I don't know what to do.

I've contacted the dealer and Malibu both to figure out the best way to move forward but I refuse to bring the boat back in again just to sit in the shop the rest of the summer.

Oh and by the way...my boat has 9 hours on it. Yeah.

At 155 hours, here are the additional issues

- rear middle seat split right at a seam

- wake setter decal for the 4th time

Other than that she's running like a champ. I'd say 100 ofthose hours are surfing

Doesn't appear that the 2012 MXZ 22 is any better than what I'm seeing for issues in his thread. I've had my boat for 3 weeks and 2 of those weeks, it's been at the dealer having replacements and repairs done.

List of issues:

-Drivers side dash stitching is coming apart in multiple places and requires a FULL dash replacement

-All 4 boat cleats were hand tight when the boat was delivered; allowing them to move around, scratching the exterior paint

-Rear right transom seat cushion stitching has come apart; requires complete replacement of the cushions

-Drivers side (walk way to the bow) leather trim panel is popping off by the speakers, right by where the drivers left knee would be

-Panel is loose and screws that are supposed to hold the panel in from the back side are either a) missing or b) stripped

-Drivers side panel below the throttle/above the cup holder (near the turn key) is loose and moves around - Appears to never have been tightened during construction from the inside – very flimsy

-Screw holes are stripped at the base of the driver’s seat on the 6-screw panel near the base of the floor

-Large storage compartment that opens up into the engine, right side, shock hinge that holds the compartment open has completely broken off

-MXZ 22 Non-skid Deck Trac is rolling up on the edges near the bow of the boat and appears that it will not last more than one season

-On both sides of the boat (on the black colored paint) there is some kind of rub rash

I've contacted the dealer and Malibu both to figure out the best way to move forward but I refuse to bring the boat back in again just to sit in the shop the rest of the summer.

Be careful, you will ID yourself as a complainer, and folks will call you a liar (till you start posting pics as proof of what you claim) and you'll be considered a general nuisance. because they've had Malibus that were flawless for 45yrs and they are best buddies with everyone in the industry so they get on the spot anything you need treatment others dont. So this must be some type of exaggeration, or an anomaly. Can't be true. I hope you feel my sarcasm, ive has tons of issues also, much worse than yours x10.

Lets move on and get your stuff fixed. To be honest, we all know the fit an finish stuff can wait till OCT/NOV. Not real issue there from you enjoying your summer, dissappointing yes, ruining your summer, no. Anything mechanical/eletrical/plumbing keeping you from using your wakeboat?

The real question is, how has your dealer responded, Who is your dealer? most of the stuff you listed, if ordered now, can be scheduled for a 3-4 hr appointment to get worked off . hasnt your dealer offered that?

I've got 120 hours on my 2012 MXZ. Only one issue so far which was promptly fixed by my dealer and that was a faulty depth transducer. It was only an intermittent fault and they were able to troubleshoot it in an afternoon. Sorry to hear about people having problems and issues, maybe I'm just lucky, but I have found Malibu's to be by far the most reliable wakeboats out there!

Be careful, you will ID yourself as a complainer, and folks will call you a liar (till you start posting pics as proof of what you claim) and you'll be considered a general nuisance. because they've had Malibus that were flawless for 45yrs and they are best buddies with everyone in the industry so they get on the spot anything you need treatment others dont. So this must be some type of exaggeration, or an anomaly. Can't be true. I hope you feel my sarcasm, ive has tons of issues also, much worse than yours x10.

Lets move on and get your stuff fixed. To be honest, we all know the fit an finish stuff can wait till OCT/NOV. Not real issue there from you enjoying your summer, dissappointing yes, ruining your summer, no. Anything mechanical/eletrical/plumbing keeping you from using your wakeboat?

The real question is, how has your dealer responded, Who is your dealer? most of the stuff you listed, if ordered now, can be scheduled for a 3-4 hr appointment to get worked off . hasnt your dealer offered that?

Thanks for the good chuckle and yes, I enjoyed the sarcasm as you laid it down fairly thick :)

To answer your question... No. My dealer has not done anything to help remediate this issue YET. They said they'd figure out a plan of attack and call me back. That was 3 days ago.

I'm definitely not trying to come off as a complainer but when a guy pays $90,000 cash for a product that he expects to be flawless, it should be.

I can't imagine walking into my local Porche dealership, drive a brand new 911 off the lot and find seats coming apart, dash stitching frailing off, panels not bolted down, screw holes stripped out, etc.

I know there will always be a few products that slip through the cracks and make it to the dealer with a few defects; completely understandable. I come from a long family history of Malibu owners and I fully support the products they deliver. But i'm also wise enough to know that the quality issues I've seen in my boat in particular are NOT reflective of the quality Malibu produces.

I'm sure everything will get taken care of in a timely and professional manner.

2011 LSV and 75 hours total.

Problems this season:

• Center ballast tank not draining - I installed a warranty replacement pump.
  • Swim platform pad peeling on our surfing corner - reglued and no further problems
  • Front tank self draining - corrected by installation of a check valve in the fill line
  • Transom remote too sensitive - replaced remote with a different model

My favorite features would be the looks of the boat and tower; the interior space and the surf wake.

Favorite gripes would be the usual - booster for the drivers seat and a better drinks cooler!!

Overall, my rating would be a 9 out of 10.

You realize as far as the wakesetter decals are concerned, they are decals. Yes. They can take some wetness, but if you are loading your boat and your decal is below the water line, your doing the damage. I can't believe 4 stickers have come off and the decal is above the water line. Or smacking the trailer guides. My 2010 had the same issue with the stitching, had to order a new seat cushion as well

To answer your question... No. My dealer has not done anything to help remediate this issue YET. They said they'd figure out a plan of attack and call me back. That was 3 days ago.

3 days to respond to fit and finish issues...isnt unreasonable in mid summer.....

collect your issues, swing your boat by for a quick inspection by the service guys, then take your boat home and continue to use it, let them get all the stuff on order and then set and appt to work them off, even in batches if necessary. You should be putting 10-15hrs a week on that bad boy.

Also, just FYI, Malibu Customer Service is supposed to get a detailed report on any new boat that has more than 3 quality fails.

jkendallmsce

List of issues:

Must have been one of those boats made on a Monday or Friday!!

Sorry to hear/see your problems. Hopefully your dealer steps up and takes care of all your warranty problems.

3 days to respond to fit and finish issues...isnt unreasonable in mid summer.....

collect your issues, swing your boat by for a quick inspection by the service guys, then take your boat home and continue to use it, let them get all the stuff on order and then set and appt to work them off, even in batches if necessary. You should be putting 10-15hrs a week on that bad boy.

Also, just FYI, Malibu Customer Service is supposed to get a detailed report on any new boat that has more than 3 quality fails.

Do you know if I'm able to leverage other dealers closer to my home location?

The reason this has been such a pain is because the dealer I bought the boat from is out of state.

I WILL say that the guys directly at Malibu are fantastic! They've already contacted me twice this afternoon and had me send in pictures and a detailed review of the issues. I'm guessing that covers the report on 3 or more quality fails?

Must have been one of those boats made on a Monday or Friday!!

Sorry to hear/see your problems. Hopefully your dealer steps up and takes care of all your warranty problems.

Hope so too! I'm sure it'll get worked out.

I'm sure I came off as a hot head when I initially posted in this thread but it's hard not to get whipped up when things like this happen.

Sorry guys.

Leverage? Ummm I wouldnt use that word. Proceed with caution.... call them and ask them nicely if they will warranty a few issues on your new Malibu. You stand a chance of them being pissed you skipped them and bought elsewhere and punish you with long wait time or refuse to deal with you at all. Ask nicely!

2011 vlx, I now have 236 hours on it.... So far this season my only fix was the dash bezel loosing the bolts that hold it in place. Malibu is covering under warranty, part is at dealer.

Vinyl is holding up great, boat still feels rock solid.... And imo, has the best stock wake I have ever seen... Towed a couple advanced riders last week and they were blown away that it was not sacked out and stock hard tanks with wedge...awesome!

I had some minor warranty issues last season, otherwise nothing major. Less issues with my vlx than my last 08 Supra which was purchased new.

Edited by Fman

Hope so too! I'm sure it'll get worked out.

I'm sure I came off as a hot head when I initially posted in this thread but it's hard not to get whipped up when things like this happen.

Sorry guys.

Your dealer needs to take care of you... Your boat has many issues that are unacceptable. Many should have been caught at the factory and by your dealer when they took delivery. Sorry you had so many issues. I agree with Nryan, fix the necessity items and go use it until fall... Don't loose time on the water during peak season...

BTW, on your swim pad, mine did the same thing... Use Gorilla glue and it will never come loose again...that stuff is crazy.

Your dealer needs to take care of you... Your boat has many issues that are unacceptable. Many should have been caught at the factory and by your dealer when they took delivery. Sorry you had so many issues. I agree with Nryan, fix the necessity items and go use it until fall... Don't loose time on the water during peak season...

BTW, on your swim pad, mine did the same thing... Use Gorilla glue and it will never come loose again...that stuff is crazy.

Totally agree. These things should not have slipped passed quality control.

I'll give the glue on the swim platform a shot. Thanks!