Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2011 Malibu owners, problems, hours this season?

Fman

I was just curious how many 2011 owners had problems this season, what they were and how many hours you used your boat? favorite features? items you think need improvement? overall rating? (1 being the worst, 10 being perfect)

My list of problems:

MTC replaced and software updated - 64 hours (had 2 lock ups in 64 hours, has been perfect ever since replacement)

Fuel vent line leaks fuel when tank is filled up

Screw/stud fell out of maliview bracket under helm area

Tachometer malfunctioned one day - 81 hours - has been fine ever since

Dripless shaft seal is leaking - 102 hours

"T" drain handle in vdrive compartment has worn into transmission cooling line - not leaking, but will need to be replaced

Swim platform pad peeling up

I have put 125 hours on the boat this season

Rating: I give my malibu a 9 out of 10....

Favorite feature: definitely the wake, G3 tower, and I also like ballast system and programmable rider pre-sets to auto fill/shut off ballasts.

Improvements needed: Higher drivers seat (adjustable would be nice), front docking cleats moved forward on boat, more space between quad board racks

Edited by Fman

2011 VTX -

Got boat after 4th of July weekend. Put 110 hours on so far. The boat has been perfect mechancially, with only minor detail issues as follows:

- Swim platform pad coming up in one corner. Was re-adhered during first service but still not perfect.

- Higher driver seat bolster would be nice.

- Cover doesn't breathe well for some reason. The under side of the cover is completely soaked when I open it in morning. Annoying.

- Fuel economy is not great but that's probably the 410hp L96. I didn't select that option, the boat came equipped that way.

- Couple nitpicks with upholstery. Being taken care of under warranty.

- Slight blemish in hull gelcoat below waterline. Being taken care of under warranty.

Favorites -

- Speed control is great after coming off a boat without it.

- Dual heating system is great. The heated seat seemed silly when I got the boat but it's nice on 50 degree mornings like today.

- Steering, handling and throttle response are all great.

- Motor/hull combination delivers very smooooth and quiet power. Diamond hull wake is better at 32mph + than I thought it would be.

Overall satisfaction rating: 9

11 LSV

Got in may, put about 95 hrs on it. love the boats power, handling,room and comfort. Problems started at 20 hrs,when we lost power and the exhaust manifolds had to be replaced. Lost a week of use over this issue. Subwoofer died, replaced. tach quits or acts strange sometimes,power on and off seems to cure it. My swim platform padding is peeling up at the corners. The upholstery stiching job is the worst i have seen ,compared to my last 2 malibus. Hope this will be a warranty isue. The boat puts out a picture-perfect wakeboard wake. we surf alot and put about 2000 extra lbs of ballast over stock, and the l96 410 hp is the only way to go. love its power, allthough it"s a bit thirsty. Would give the boat a 9. If my upholstry was perfect, i would give it a 10! Wish malibu would add plug and play, like the Axis to the wakesetter line. I wish the drivers seat was higher. I also wish they would move the cooler to the left or front, so ballast could be hidden under the starboard seats.

2011 VTX -

Got boat after 4th of July weekend. Put 110 hours on so far. The boat has been perfect mechancially, with only minor detail issues as follows:

- Swim platform pad coming up in one corner. Was re-adhered during first service but still not perfect.

- Higher driver seat bolster would be nice.

- Cover doesn't breathe well for some reason. The under side of the cover is completely soaked when I open it in morning. Annoying.

- Fuel economy is not great but that's probably the 410hp L96. I didn't select that option, the boat came equipped that way.

- Couple nitpicks with upholstery. Being taken care of under warranty.

- Slight blemish in hull gelcoat below waterline. Being taken care of under warranty.

Favorites -

- Speed control is great after coming off a boat without it.

- Dual heating system is great. The heated seat seemed silly when I got the boat but it's nice on 50 degree mornings like today.

- Steering, handling and throttle response are all great.

- Motor/hull combination delivers very smooooth and quiet power. Diamond hull wake is better at 32mph + than I thought it would be.

Overall satisfaction rating: 9

What kind of blemish in the gel coat do you have?

My boat is starting to get alot of brown spots on the hull under the waterline. They will not come out and look almost like they're deep in the gelcoat. They are most noticeable when the boat first comes out of the water wet. After it dries for a day or so they are less noticeable.

Only 73 hours so far this year... going to push for 100 before season is up, but it may not happen. We have been so busy with other stuff this year.

A couple more issues popped up this year, but my dealer is really great about taking care of them.

We'll call it 8/10. :) If I could easily hear my stereo while surfing I'l give it another point. Hopefully that will be solved this winter or early spring.

Mine is actually a 2010 LSV but I took delivery in December. Have about 125 hours on the boat with no problems.

Favorite features (in no particular order):

Maliview - really like the presets. I had no speed control on my last boat so that is also great.

Stereo - I have the factory stereo and added an AudioControl EQ and the stereo soounds awesome.

Remote oil filter. My old boat didn't have this and made it tough to change the oil. With the remote filter it is a 20 minute job with no mess at all.

Wakes - I have the cut diamond hull and both the wakeboard and slalom wakes are awesome. surf wake is also really nice.

Tower - This tower is great. All our skis / boards fit in the racks. Would be great if they would have offered a ski and kneeboard rack but I modified mine so I now have those.

Handling - At 23 feet this thing handles like my old 18 foot direct drive nautique. Turns on a dime and has a good rough water ride.

Seating - we have had a lot of days with 10 teenagers out and had plenty of room. This year has been so great with the kids and their friends. That has made buying this boat worth every penny.

Trailer (CTW) - Towed the boat on a trip from CA to North Idaho. Over 2,000 miles and no issues. Couldn't even tell it was there other than the gas mileage. :)

Dealer - Sporting Edge in Antioch has been great to work with. Not high pressure on the purchase, great price on the new boat and a fair price on my trade in. Everyone their is really nice.

Looks - This boat is a super looking boat. Both inside and outside. Great layout inside and nice lines outside.

Heater - This definitely extended the season in the Spring and I am sure will do the same thing this Fall.

Rear Walk Over - This is nice as it makes it easy to get on the swim platform and is still comfortable to lay on.

Trash can- this is so convenient.

What could be better:

My tach occasionally freaks out. The dash RPM dial will sometimes show really high RPM's. I go to the RPM's in the Maliview it has the right reading.

Not sure if it is the diamond hull but at wakesurf speeds the people in the bow get some spray.

Needs a cup holder on the passenger front seating area by the glove box. This boat has 16 cup holders by no where for someone sitting in the front by the glove box to put a drink.

They should offer a better non-slip option for the top deck. I modified to added my own and used the SeaDeck material which is the same that comes from the factory on the swim deck and walk over.

Cooler - Mine is already leaking. Work out a deal with AO and give us a real cooler. This would cost them less than $100. At least offer it as an option.

I would give this boat an 11. I love it! So happy I upgraded from our Centurion (which was a great boat for us).

Kris

2011 23 LSV. Right at 94 hours.

Issues we've had:

Throttle Control and Throttle body had to be replaced (Warranty)

Wake Setter raised decal peeling off (Will be fixed when we take it to have it winterized)

Swim Platform Bubbles (Will be fixed when we take it to have it winterized)

Features we love:

Maliview

Wetsounds Sub and Pro-80's

The Surf Wake

Space....so much room for activities

Snap-out Carpet

Kids love the heater on cold mornings and rainy days

Overall we LOVE the boat. Has been a great addition to the family.

Pablo -

Hull blemish is a small "dimple" about the size of a dime that is a slightly indented from the rest of the hull. Looks like a mfr. gelcoat defect. I bought the boat after a wet test and never saw the thing on a trailer until my 20 hour service. I still would have bought it but I might have used it as a negotiating point. I'm told it'll be 100% invisible when they do the warranty repair.

T

I do love my old boat, but only had it out 7 times so far this year at 3 hours each. :whistle:

When she's revving, she sounds and runs like a million dollars, even with the 1000 hours. Roomy, comfy, reliable, great stereo.

My one and only issue is a weak idle. I'll tidy that up before next season.

I baby her, and felt terrible when I nosed her hard into the dock once this year. No damage, but I'm sure she was mad at me.

Steve B.

probably 30 hours or so.

-the blower toggle went out last weekend, $5.

-finally getting a new steering cable. it was kinda sticky last year, and early this summer it would stick, but would loosen-up after an hour or so. as summer's winding down, it's a bear to turn. not bad for a 10 year old boat, $200.

i love my boat.

EDIT: WHOOPS, misread the title. 2001, 2011, pretty much the same thing :crazy:

Edited by MARiley

mechanically, everything has been great. No problems. I have the boatmate trailer with upgraded wheels and tires - no problems there as well. The only problem I have had is my bimini - the pin on the left hand side is about 1/4 of an inch off so it doesn't go in the hole very easily. I have found a workaround, but it still irritates me.

only complaints I have is that driver's seat is too low and the factory cover isn't good for much other than keeping the dust out. Mine leaks - especially at the seams.

mechanically, everything has been great. No problems. I have the boatmate trailer with upgraded wheels and tires - no problems there as well. The only problem I have had is my bimini - the pin on the left hand side is about 1/4 of an inch off so it doesn't go in the hole very easily. I have found a workaround, but it still irritates me.

only complaints I have is that driver's seat is too low and the factory cover isn't good for much other than keeping the dust out. Mine leaks - especially at the seams.

My bimini did the exact same thing!! After pestering the dealer about it, Malibu sent them some new parts. Rather than the bars of the bimini being riveted together, they are now connected by an allen screws. I can now adjust it if it ever becomes misaligned.

2011 Malibu Wakesetter 23 LSV

36 hours so far...yes I know that is embarrassing

Problems or Issues

1.) Engine warning fault has been coming up lately

2.) snap in carpeting does not have buttons in the correct places

3.) tower wakeboard racks are starting to pit

4.) front ballast tank empties by itself

5.) if you hit the "All Off" button on the rear control the engine turns off even if your going fast pulling a wakeboarder!

6.) seat is not high enough

7.) front cup holders foam padding is curling up and shrinking

8.) Water spots under the boat by the prop will not come out, even with boat bling

9.) Tower speakers chrome is impossible to clean and has bug marks

10.) Its kind of complicated switching between screen in Malivue especially when using the video camera

11.) ballast pumps are slow

12.) I added 2-1100 lb sacs in rear compartments, it would be nice to have plug and play ballast pumps or system available

13.) drain is needed in fiberglass floor when boat takes on water from the front

14.) Malivue has frozen up a few times (maybe 3 time) but just hitting power switch off and restarting works

15.) 1 knob for G3 tower keeps coming loose

16.) Wiring for headunit came loose, dealer came out and put it back together and zip tied it so it wont happen again

17.) Broke my paddle wheel using my hydraulic hoist and lifting the boat out of the water. And no the bunks cannot be widened

18.) The heated seat control does not turn off and will kill your battery if you leave it on

19.) The radio am/fm reception stinks

20.) glove box would not close - local dealer was able to adjust it but there is no more room for any adjustment

21.) Flo cam recorder should turn on and off with the boat

22.) should have another heater outlet in rear seating area of the boat

23.) Bimini storage on the tower is not the best as it will bang against the tower if its stored forward

Hightlights

1.) Video camera - best option by far

2.) 410 hp engine is great and powerful

3.) Docking lights are great

4.) Happy with the stereo - sound pack 3 with sub and 4 tower speakers

5.) Ballast system

6.) G3 tower is amazing and easy to fold

7.) Boats are supper customizable

8.) heated seat works great

9.) 3 outlet heater is always hot whether running high rpms or not

10.) Everyone who sees the boat falls in love with it...enough said

So yea I see many issues but i am an engineer and I find every flaw possible. Is it perfect no, but nothing is. I could not be happier with choosing a malibu. The 23 LSV by far as the best wake I have seen as long as you have 10 people in the boat or 2-1100 lb sacs otherwise a vtx has better stock wake.

My bimini did the exact same thing!! After pestering the dealer about it, Malibu sent them some new parts. Rather than the bars of the bimini being riveted together, they are now connected by an allen screws. I can now adjust it if it ever becomes misaligned.

Same as mine! I like the consistency... :crazy:

2011 247 LSV

Well I just bought my boat 2 days ago, and havent had it on the water yet, but I noticed that none of the in boat speakers work, just the tower and the sub. (sound pack 3) , so its not looking good so far!

2011 247 LSV

Well I just bought my boat 2 days ago, and havent had it on the water yet, but I noticed that none of the in boat speakers work, just the tower and the sub. (sound pack 3) , so its not looking good so far!

Uh oh! My rear interior speakers didn't work..unscrewed them to find one of the wires wasn't connected on both. A little silicon glue and hopefully that problem is fixed.

LOL! I need to get my dealer to get me some of those adjustable pieces....

At least all my speakers work :rockon: LOL!

Second that, mine have never lined up properly either.... little tough on the fingers to secure... another item to add to the winter warranty list.... although, I am sure they have never heard of this happening before... I always seem to be the first for everything.

I've had mine for about 2 1/2 months. Has about 30 hours on it.

1. Bimini top issue since first day.

2. My wedge completely broke and came disconnected from the hydralic actuators. This being an issue since I was told this was a common problem on the 2011's (and actually had it happen to a friend of mine as well), and it wasn't covered under warranty.

3. Subwoofer amp went out.

4. My tower speakers (wet sounds) are now coming apart. The black cushion that lets the speakers move back and forth has been pinched by the chrome ring. I was told there is an update for it.

Nothing I'd complain too loud about. The guys at Central Texas Water Sports are more than accomodating. I can't say enough good about them. And I can't say enough good things about my boat. This boat is 10000 times better than my 2008 247 LSV.

Ryan

Can't help with the adjustment but for your seams you can apply a canvas "seam sealer" from just about any outdoor supply store. Works great and really quite easy to apply. Don't recall the name brand I have used in the past but it's the one that came with my Floe canopy.

2011 247 LSV

Could be a fader issue. If you have it faded to the front (I believe) it will only allow sound to the tower and sub.

Can't help with the adjustment but for your seams you can apply a canvas "seam sealer" from just about any outdoor supply store. Works great and really quite easy to apply. Don't recall the name brand I have used in the past but it's the one that came with my Floe canopy.

a big thank you! been looking for something like that. I will head to tractor supply and look for it.