Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Diesel Malibu?

85 Barefoot

Wish I had more to share other than I can personally confirm, that is a diesel engine in a malibu. I'm going to fancy a guess that anyone interested in a diesel-powered inboard will now have that option. More details will be public soon, I would expect.

Oem option through Malibu, or someone doing a 3rd party conversion, etc?

From what I understand, the engine in the picture I posted was not an OEM engine option. However, I have reason to think that diesels will now be available much easier than they have been for inboard use. Does that mean OEM, I honestly do not know.

The boat and the company that offer the diesal was at Surf Expo. I picked up spec sheet, but for some reason I can't put my hands on it. I believe it was a 6 cyl, 250 hp closed loop marine. I'll post up more info when I get home if I can find the sheet.

We got to watch them test the Yanmar diesel in the Mastercraft and CC here in Fla. near our dealership , they gave me there test charts to look at , the 310 hp motor creates the performance of a 6.2l and burns 8.5gph, the 260hp performs close to the standard 5.7l and burns 4.5gph, the option will cost 22,000, at this time I cant see an advantage over the gas engine as far as recuperating cost over time in fuel economy.

We got to watch them test the Yanmar diesel in the Mastercraft and CC here in Fla. near our dealership , they gave me there test charts to look at , the 310 hp motor creates the performance of a 6.2l and burns 8.5gph, the 260hp performs close to the standard 5.7l and burns 4.5gph, the option will cost 22,000, at this time I cant see an advantage over the gas engine as far as recuperating cost over time in fuel economy.

If that's true that is retarded. Like you implied, $22k will feed a gas motor an awful lot of fuel.

I'm looking seriously at converting my truck from the old 390 FE big block to a T444E diesel this winter. I have about $4k budgeted for the project. If it were a brand new diesel and tranny going in the truck I think it would cost me about $9k.

If that's true that is retarded. Like you implied, $22k will feed a gas motor an awful lot of fuel.

I'm looking seriously at converting my truck from the old 390 FE big block to a T444E diesel this winter. I have about $4k budgeted for the project. If it were a brand new diesel and tranny going in the truck I think it would cost me about $9k.

Have never seen IH conversion would be interested in details when you get started. I have done two chevrolet cummins conversions am current working on third, cut down 1981 chevrolet crew cab dually to short bed single wheel truck but am still doing body work.

Have never seen IH conversion would be interested in details when you get started. I have done two chevrolet cummins conversions am current working on third, cut down 1981 chevrolet crew cab dually to short bed single wheel truck but am still doing body work.

Yeah, if I do the project I'll be sure to take lots of pics and throw a thread up in the Off Topic section.

The IH T444E is basically the Ford 7.3L Power Stroke that was in the Ford's from 94'-early 03'. The differences in the Ford and IH motors are very few. The biggest is the ECM. The Ford ECM comes with a huge wiring harness. The IH you bolt to the firewall and apply power. Thumbup.gif I was certainly hoping I could find an IH and a trucking company has a 00' IH 4700 truck that had the engine rebuilt 40k ago. Guy told me they would help me pull my motor and install the IH out of it. I can do it all except fab the motor mounts and pull the motor (no engine hoist). They told me I could use the corner of their garage over the winter and just let them know when I need help. How cool is that! Yahoo.gif

That Chevy project sounds like a cool one. The guy I bought my truck from (71' F250) just finished a Bronco, F250 hybrid he made. It ended up being a quad cab, Bronco rear 73' Ford. Awesome truck!

22K? really? How much is the HH option - around 7K? I read that a HH engine order direct from Indmar is about 21K. subtract 7 - and you get 14k, so the diesel will cost 36K? I bought a brand new Dodge Ram CTD for 36K back in 2005. Amazing.

I don't even burn that with my boat.

The perfect motor for a SurfSetter... heavy and lots of low end and high end rpm and horsepower wouldn't matter.

If they ever really do build a SurfSetter I will be very close to the front of the line... we live in a farming community and I can get dyed diesel everywhere... dyed gas only comes in regular.... I should pay the $22K upgrade back in the first 17 years of ownership.

Just so we are all square... if it truly becomes a $22K option... you know there are people will buy it... to say they have one vs really needing it... kind like the LSA :whistle:

Edited by G-Mack

22K? really? How much is the HH option - around 7K? I read that a HH engine order direct from Indmar is about 21K. subtract 7 - and you get 14k, so the diesel will cost 36K? I bought a brand new Dodge Ram CTD for 36K back in 2005. Amazing.

A brand spanking new ZR409 PCM bobtail is less than 11k, which is PCM's comparable engine I believe.

http://www.skidim.com/prodinfo.asp?number=ZR409

This might be an obvious question, but I would think that you could put a prop on a diesel that might not even exist right now due to the better torque. If they ran the diesels with the same prop/tranny setup, then I might expect similar fuel consumption. Did they put high pitched props on them?

IIRC, the MC diesel was a 35K option. Even MC owners did not buy it often.

I wonder if they use that diesel fluid like Ford uses, to reduce black smoke and smell.... It'd be more of a problem in boats like ours, as you are so much closer to the engine and exhaust than in a 40ft offshore....

I wonder if they use that diesel fluid like Ford uses, to reduce black smoke and smell.... It'd be more of a problem in boats like ours, as you are so much closer to the engine and exhaust than in a 40ft offshore....

the fluid is urea base - it does nothing for smoke, it just changes the chemical compund of a few things to reduce certain greenhouse gases. smoke is the product of too much fuel and not enough air (turbo.) As for smell, run bio-diesel. It smells like a McDonalds. :biggrin:

The DPF (diesel particulate filter) would be what reduces any smoke and soot. I would think that would get a little too hot during a regen to be in a boat.

For sure, they also cost big bucks so until you see regulation for PM emissions from marine engines no way they will think about putting them into a marine application.