Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

taking on water

Well once again my day on the lake was cut short due to our new Bu taking on water. A couple months back our waterline going from the pump to the engine burst. Indmaar covered the hose, stated " the new one coming is new and improved" Now today Auto bilge kicked on and had a good 3 to 4" of water in the bilge. immediately shut down and had someone tow us in. Guessing I blew another line? Anyone else experiencing problems like this? Boat only has 50hrs on it and I'm getting pretty frustrated

Well once again my day on the lake was cut short due to our new Bu taking on water. A couple months back our waterline going from the pump to the engine burst. Indmaar covered the hose, stated " the new one coming is new and improved" Now today Auto bilge kicked on and had a good 3 to 4" of water in the bilge. immediately shut down and had someone tow us in. Guessing I blew another line? Anyone else experiencing problems like this? Boat only has 50hrs on it and I'm getting pretty frustrated

Sorry about your problems...what did Malibu/Indmar say the reason was for the last hose bursting?

Was the boat under an extreme load? Could it be just a clamp came un-done? :unsure: It may be something that can be fixed quickly and get you back on the water...

Edited by srintx

I was having similar issues this summer, but it was only while surfing and when I had 5+ guys in the boat. My dealer said it was coming in through the rub rail. I was thinking more that it was the vent for the blower, but the area under the vent tube hose in the engine compartment was dry. I check just about EVERYTHING else including ballast lines, raw water intake hoses, etc. and could find nothing else. When I surfed with only 4 guys in the boat, I had only minimal water get into the bilge. My dealer indicated that since the rub rail is the "seal" for the top and bottom halves of the hull, it is possible to get water entering there. They have seen that a lot with those that surf. The next time I get 5+ guys in the boat to surf (prob not till next spring :cry:), I was going to try duct taping the vent, see if we get water, then removing that tape and duct taping the rub rail where it gets submerged. If it is the rub rail, I may take it in to have the dealer remove it, apply marine sealant, and then re-install the rub rail. If it is the vent, I may try to make some magnetic cover that can be easily attached and removed (will it hold with the water rushing by at ~12mph?).

Good luck finding your culprit!

Look on the bright side, at least your automatic bilge pump works! Actually, my center ski locker gets about 2-3" of water in it daily. I assume it's a combination of wet people, cooler ice melt drain off and a leaky stuffing box. Was your engine overheating?

If you are going to own a boat you are going to be a mechanic.

So did you try to figure out where the water was coming from?

Did you close the seacock on the raw water intake after you saw the water and shut down?

I had a issue but it was a clamp for the shower that was never tightened from the factory on the backside on the motor. Check all your clamps on the hoses with a flashlight.

You didnt say if the second time it was a hose burst or something else....I'm thinking when the dealer replaced that hose that maybe they did not tightened another clamp??

Good Luck

That is the most brilliant post put on here in a while. It should be the banner marqui on the opening page on here...

LOL, I was paraphrasing Pistol Pete... but it is a good point. If the boat is sinking, you can't just pull over to the shoulder and wait for AAA.

Thanks for all the info guys. Gonna look at it today before I take it in. Last time it blew the water line apart not just a clamp. They didn't have a reason for it. they pressure tested everything and said it was good. Yesterday when it happened bilge kicked on when I throttled down to go back and get my boarder engine sputtered like it was gonna stall. opened up engine compartment and saw water spraying up, but it was tough to tell where it was coming from. I understand that i need to know stuff and learn stuff, and I'm a somewhat mechanical. The frustrating part is that this shouldn't keep happening on a new boat. I guess my other frustrations are this isn't the only warranty fixes I've had to endure. But like you guys said it's a boat. Thanks again

Edited by Hozzr1

OK so that really helps -- it suggests that your leak is after the raw water pump, not before.

If your boat were really sinking because the raw water inlet hose burst, then shutting down really wouldn't help because it wouldn't stop the flow of water into the boat from the big hole in the bottom.

The seacock is the big lever type thing that's on the through hull where the hose picks up water under the boat (there are also similar valves on each of your ballast intake pumps). It allows you to turn off the flow of water into the boat altogether. If the intake hose had burst or come off, you'd want to shut the flow of water off asap.

Edited by shawndoggy

Awesome shawndoggy, That helps. I am mechanical but I learn a lot as I go. The pressure line after the water pump is what burst last time. Blew it completely apart. Would having a hole in the line cause the engine sputter ? or was that just a fluke? I just took a look at all the line and nothing is slidding off, nothing is lose, just need to hook it up and run it with water to find the leak. part of me says take it in though since it is under warranty. Thx again

Would having a hole in the line cause the engine sputter ? or was that just a fluke?

It could have been going into "limp mode" if the engine was overheating. That would feel like it was sputtering.

Try to identify the source of the leak before taking it in. Could be something simple and not worth the hassle and time of dragging it to the dealer and leaving it until they have time to fix it. For future reference...when out on the lake and an "issue" presents itself, try to identify the problem immediately so you have a leg up on fixing it.

Good Luck. :thumbup:

ok.... So here is the deal. feel a little embarrassed but I wanted to share the information. Apparently the culprit of the water leak was two broken over flow lines on the rt and lt rear ballasts. Reason that my buddies say water shooting up was that apparently I had the left tank on. (rookie move) anyway just FYI on my boat they only used corrugated abs tubing, same stuff they use to wrap wires. When zip tied and pulled tight they're subseptable to cracking. Both lines have been replaced and hooked the fake a lake up and no water leaking out of engine. Again I'm embarrassed but thought I'd share the info otherwise. Also Just an FYI while looking for broken lines I noticed the raw water line ( black with green stripe) run right along the bottom of transmission. mine was pulled tight enough that I was starting to get a wear mark in the hose. Just something to look for. Thanks again for all the info guys.... Hopefully all my little new issues are done with the boat?

that had to be the blige pump hose. the ballast hose looks like this:

3_4_inch_ballast_hose.jpg

also, you can't really break the pumps from leaving them on. The tanks will just vent out the side of the boat till you turn 'em off.

Sounds to me like you might have two things going on. First, water coming in from somewhere. Second, your bilge pump hoses (those ARE the flimsy accordion plastic stuff) came off, so the bilge pump was spraying water everywhere.

Hmmm. Ok now I'm little puzzled. Dealer told me they were the ballast over flow lines so when I filled ballast and let the pump run instead of venting out of the boat they were spilling into bilge area. Said for whatever reason they used that flex tubing instead of the

rubber tubing. Does this sound right? Maybe they ran ou tthat day lol.

Edited by Hozzr1

My fill lines and drain lines coming off the pumps are the lines you have pictured. Overflow lines are accordion abs. Tears were low enough the as the pumps kept running they overflowed in bilge vs outside. Dealer said they had problems with this kind of hose there for they no longer use them and only used them from short time. Dealer just replaced them with like hose and didn't pull them as tight just to get me thru till I bring boat in for service then they will replace with hard line.