Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

gas tank vent getting close to water

Danno

Will the engine run OK if I close off the gas tank vent that is getting pretty close to the water when we load our 2011 LSV 23 up with ballast and people? There is an allen key hole in the vent so opening and closing is pretty easy. Thanks.

post-15160-011560900 1315708458_thumb.jpThe gas vent has an allan key hole in the middle and if you loosen it off enough, it comes out and there is a small stainless mesh filter in it. We will load the boat up tomorrow with ballast, shut it off and see what happens.

Wonder if replacing my current vent with one of those might be easier than moving it to the other side. That is on my to do list.

I would assume that there is a vaccuum created once the tank starts to go down...but frankly, I am not convinced that my gas caps are 100% air tight, so it might not make any difference.

I have placed a shut off valve in my vent line and have forgotten to open it once or twice with no problems. :whistle: I did this for a few reasons, one is I was tried of the fuel smell when taking the cover off.

I see Overton's sells the new Attwood flush mounted vent. Something to add to the winter project list.

I have placed a shut off valve in my vent line and have forgotten to open it once or twice with no problems. :whistle: I did this for a few reasons, one is I was tried of the fuel smell when taking the cover off.

I see Overton's sells the new Attwood flush mounted vent. Something to add to the winter project list.

oh yeah, gettin one of those!

My mechanic suggested that if I close the vent while surfing on that side, we might want to open it between rides to let a bit of air back in to the tank.

My mechanic suggested that if I close the vent while surfing on that side, we might want to open it between rides to let a bit of air back in to the tank.

Ding, ding, ding.

Like I said, I would only close that vent off for short periods of time.

And, I wouldn't close off the vent while the boat is in storage. If it's outside, in the sun, the tank is gonna swell.

or just crack open the fuel cap on the other side of the boat once in a while. personally, i doubt that makes a difference but then i am not a mechanic and i have never played one on tv.

Edited by Cervelo

I thought if you tightened the allen nut the entire way, there was still a vent gap. Am I wrong about that?

IS THAT WHAT THE *&%$! GAS SMELL IS? It's been drving me crazy all summer! I've been poking around in the engine compartment looking for an open vent or fuel leak. Never occured to me that it was the outboard vent. I'll have to check out the aftermarket atwood vent. Wonder how it would be any different with regards to fumes. A vent is a vent, right?

T

I just installed the new Attwood fuel vent, with the center all the way tight the vent is still open. With the new design I think water has a less chance of getting to the fuel tank. The allen is for taking the screen out to clean it.

I just installed the new Attwood fuel vent, with the center all the way tight the vent is still open. With the new design I think water has a less chance of getting to the fuel tank. The allen is for taking the screen out to clean it.

How much did the new vent cost? Do you feel comfortable not moving the vent to the other side, or would you still do that? I assume it was easier than drilling a hole in the opposite side and running the hose to the other side?

I bought mine from Amazon for under $25.

I can't really answer your other two question because I don't know how the vent line is routed or mounted on the v drives.

This Attwood does fuel surge and doesn't allow water in.

http://www.attwoodmarine.com/store/product/P-Trap-Fuel-Surge-Protector

Edited by CumminsBu

I have a dumb question. With the advent of surfing, would gas vents be better off on the transom? I'm thinking in the middle of the transom, up higher, like maybe right above the handle?

It would be until you get that jerk to drain off right above it. Plus when you accelerate with a full tank you might slosh some fuel out, with all the fuel rushing the back of the tank. Unless the vent line is connected to the front of the tank. Mine is connected to the rear of the tank on the RLX.

• 1 year later...

Did it fit right into your original location without moving it? i have a 99 and would like to use the all in one surge/ptrap vent and would like to know that it works.

appreciate hearing your comments...