Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2008 VLX. Prop grind out of water

please help I'm freaked out

started engine out water last week ran prop

for 2 seconds real quick. shut down. came

back yesterday and started. put

in gear with fake a lake. prop grinded really

loud. I know it's out of water. is that way it's

doing that?? do I need to grease? it's not the v-drive. fluid is full

and looks good! when hand turn I can feel it

in the prop. grinding

please help!

please help I'm freaked out

started engine out water last week ran prop

for 2 seconds real quick. shut down. came

back yesterday and started. put

in gear with fake a lake. prop grinded really

loud. I know it's out of water. is that way it's

doing that?? do I need to grease? it's not the v-drive. fluid is full

and looks good! when hand turn I can feel it

in the prop. grinding

please help!

It might be your strut bushings got damaged turning the prop out of the water, there is no lubrication on the strut bushings when you spin the prop when the boat is not in the water. Have you tried spraying some WD-40 in the strut bushing and then turn the prop to see if the noise goes away? do you feel any slop or movement if you grab the prop and try and move the shaft?

Edited by Fman

dude thanks man. I'm stupid for running prop out of water as an engineer I should know better

I sprayed lubricating oil all round the shaft and bearings. no more nasty grind and it's not loose or anything

I should be good now right?

It might be your strut bushings got damaged turning the prop out of the water, there is no lubrication on the strut bushings when you spin the prop when the boat is not in the water. Have you tried spraying some WD-40 in the strut bushing and then turn the prop to see if the noise goes away? do you feel any slop or movement if you grab the prop and try and move the shaft?

maybe, but you won't know until you take it out on the lake. The bushings are water lubricated. If you ran it dry long enough to wreck it, its wrecked. Hopefully, you didn't and when you put it in the water it will work fine.

any way to tell before take it out? think my dealer might have one on hand? they are open sat.

maybe, but you won't know until you take it out on the lake. The bushings are water lubricated. If you ran it dry long enough to wreck it, its wrecked. Hopefully, you didn't and when you put it in the water it will work fine.

thanks for your help! really appreciate it

I sprayed oil all around the strut and

in the shaft it spins good now. no grinding at all

no my problem is the trailer. ran over the damn reciver plug

and cannot figure out the wires from the trailer. I tried trial and

error figuring it out. I will eventually. but

if any of you have the extreme trailer and know which wire is what

that would help. I know the blue is the brakes but there is also two white and

two black that I can't figure out. I can get half the lights

to work. it's frustrating

2 seconds won't damage anything but as you've learned you should never run the boat in gear out of the water. If you're worried just check for slop in the bearings by trying to wiggle the shaft back and forth.

2 seconds won't damage anything but as you've learned you should never run the boat in gear out of the water. If you're worried just check for slop in the bearings by trying to wiggle the shaft back and forth.

:plus1: