Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Right Rear Tank Pump Not Working

JTech

Boat: 2010 LSV with all four tanks. Don't have time to take it to the dealer before the weekend. The Right (rear) tank will fill, but will not drain. I understand there is a pump for the fill and one to drain. The tank is currently full.

Is there anyway to: Drain the tank manually and does anyone know where the drain pump is? The fill is located next to the tranny, but I don't see the other one.

Thanks!

Jason

Boat: 2010 LSV with all four tanks. Don't have time to take it to the dealer before the weekend. The Right (rear) tank will fill, but will not drain. I understand there is a pump for the fill and one to drain. The tank is currently full.

Is there anyway to: Drain the tank manually and does anyone know where the drain pump is? The fill is located next to the tranny, but I don't see the other one.

Thanks!

Jason

Have you checked your fuses? On my 2011 VLX they are located under the helm area in the back. I was crawling under there yesterday and noticed the bank of ballast fuses. There are two fuse boxes, the one in the rearv (towards front of bow) controls all fuse relays for the ballast system. Might be worth a look.... and I believe the ballast pumps that drain are located in ski lockers in a little boxed area that can be removed. Have not confirmed this, but I believe this is where they are located. You could always swap one out pretty easily, but I would check your fuse first.

I had my my center ballast pump fail with a full tank. I put it on the trailer and pulled it just barely out the water, pulled the pump and drained it into the bilge with the plugs removed.

I have a recurring problem with my 2011 VTX where the rear ballast tank drain pumps will airlock. To clear it I turn on the fill pumps for a few seconds and then turn on the drain pumps. This clears the issue. This problem occurs any time we are doing p-turns.

In case you need the pump to get back on the water in a hurry, the cheapest most convenient place I've found is these guys. You better know your specs ahead of time, I don't think many of their employees have ever been on a boat, let alone a wakeboat.....:whistle:

Pump

To drain the tank into the bilge just to get thru the weekend......its that small box furthest back against the transom...remove the lid... get down in there to ge to the pump, you can remove the pump cartridge with just one small phillips set screw removed..... then twist off that blue nut/ around the cartridge fasterner....takes 5 mins.... as soon as you remove that cartidge it"ll start to drian into the bilge and it"ll drain for 20 mins or so...

Thank you for all the replies/suggestions! I also didn't realize that there were fuses under the helm. I thought the only ones were the breakers below the throttle.

I am sure my dealer told me about them at delivery, but I forgot until I asked here and then climbed under the helm this morning. 5 Amp fuse was blown, swapped for another one and it works great now. :rockon: Still good to know where everything is in case I am out on the water and have to fix it.

-J

Thank you for all the replies/suggestions! I also didn't realize that there were fuses under the helm. I thought the only ones were the breakers below the throttle.

I am sure my dealer told me about them at delivery, but I forgot until I asked here and then climbed under the helm this morning. 5 Amp fuse was blown, swapped for another one and it works great now. :rockon: Still good to know where everything is in case I am out on the water and have to fix it.

-J

Isn't 5 amps a little weak? I always thought the pumps could draw up to 5 amps.

Pirahna website says they draw max 4.5 amps...

http://www.shurflo.com/marine-products/marine-pumps/livewell-pumps/piranha-livewell-pumps/default.html#tab03

No wonder you blew a fuse. I am no electrical genius, but I do know that you do not want fuses that are so close to the normal max amp draw.

Edited by TallRedRider