Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

hammerhead383

MARiley

what was the big deal with the hh383? i know there have been lots of complaints, but i've never really picked-up on exactly what they were.

i'm just looking for an relatively brief answer, and if i find a boat with a hh383, should i consider it, or ignore it?

Extremely low oil pressure. I think the complaint has been about 5psi at idle, sometimes less. They "solved" the problem by adding more oil to the oil pan. They also go through oil too, so you have to check the oil level before every time out on the water. Sometimes they go through about a litre of oil each session. I have a 383 hammerhead in my 07 sunscape. I haven't had any issues at all, however I only have 49.7 hours on my boat. I'm hoping it keeps its trouble free attitude with me. It has great oil pressure at both idle and cruise speeds and it doesn't go through oil either. So, I'm not sure I'd avoid one if you found a boat with that engine. They have awesome power too.

Extremely low oil pressure. I think the complaint has been about 5psi at idle, sometimes less. They "solved" the problem by adding more oil to the oil pan. They also go through oil too, so you have to check the oil level before every time out on the water. Sometimes they go through about a litre of oil each session. I have a 383 hammerhead in my 07 sunscape. I haven't had any issues at all, however I only have 49.7 hours on my boat. I'm hoping it keeps its trouble free attitude with me. It has great oil pressure at both idle and cruise speeds and it doesn't go through oil either. So, I'm not sure I'd avoid one if you found a boat with that engine. They have awesome power too.

50 hrs for an 07...you need to get out more. ha ha

We had an 07 HH in a LXI. AFter WOT the engine oil pressure alarm would go off. I put a oil pressure guage at the oil filter, and what I found was that the electric sending unit/what the electronic dash was showing was not accurate. IT was an easy fix although a good quality oil guage is about $75.

Went to the 50W and that helped a tad too. But was always viligent about checking oil levels. Helps being the anal retentive type.

The low end torque (idle to 1500 rpm) was a tad weak, even after changing props, but after you got to 1500 rpm and beyond, it was a beast. For that idle to 1500 rpm, the monsoon is the best engine out there. Indmar power curve comparison substantiates that.

After 07 they got the bugs worked out of them . Mine has been great in every respct. No oil pressure issues and no burning oil.

:plus1:

No problems with my 09, 225 hrs.

Terry

06 with 210 hours. don't get out as much as I would like. I don't see much oil loss. Installed the repalcement dipstick and refil with 6 qts instead of 5. USe a 50 wt oil. My idle oil pressure is still 10 lbs.

06 with 425 hours. I don't see much oil loss between oil changes. I also make it a habit to check all fluids before each outing.

Running 20w50 Castrol oil.

She runs like a champ (knock on wood!). :crazy:

Our dealer says they have replaced several Flex Plates on hammerheads, between 04-05. They say it is not whether it will happen but more when it will happen and of course easier to take care of before it explodes

Wow, my idle pressure is 31 lbs, running pressure is over 50 lbs.

Terry

That's about what my idle pressure is too, 31-33lbs and average 55lbs running. How many hours do you have on your HH?

That's about what my idle pressure is too, 31-33lbs and average 55lbs running. How many hours do you have on your HH?

same 31-34 psi at idle... 55 at running speeds... no oil use.... I use 40 wt as per the manual.... 230 hrs

Our dealer says they have replaced several Flex Plates on hammerheads, between 04-05. They say it is not whether it will happen but more when it will happen and of course easier to take care of before it explodes

Wrong engine.

Wow, my idle pressure is 31 lbs, running pressure is over 50 lbs.

Terry

I only see 10 lbs when I back out of it quickly (down rider, etc.) At startupo it sits around 30psi. I believe the low oil pressure alarm would go off at 10 psi. I was not very clear before. The low oil pressure alarm has ceased since going to 50 wt oil.