Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

More Hp

fedupracer

Martin, the Vortec's would be a very good selection, will allow you to easily squeeze an extra 100hp if you want (I am assuming you have the pre Vortec heads on your engine now). The Vortec's flow much better and were introduced in '96 on the C/K pick up's. I am running a set of fast burn 385's which are great, and for me as a slalomer, losing the weight was also a key to picking those over a cast iron cylinder head.

PS: 400 hp will push a light weight Response/Echelon to the mid 50's, the added weight for the wake crowd does have a significant impact on top end as it adds that much more to the wetted surface area. Hard to outrun those 1800 pound bass boats!

Yeah I figured the Vortecs were the way to fly. I will force me to get another intake mani too which should help increase flow as well. Thumbup.gif I'll have to keep my eye out for a set of Vortec heads. If a pair comes up it would be worth grabbing, but I'm fairly happy with the extra ponies the exhaust has gotten me for now. If I get the itch or a pair of Vortecs pop up I might have to go for it. Biggrin.gif

Yeah, I agree there are almost no ski/wake boats out there that will hang with those bass boats that run with 6 inches of their lightweight hull in the water. Speeds over 60 in a ski/wake boat = some really impressive power numbers.

I never really understood why they were in such a hurry to go fishing? I thought fishing was about slowing down and relaxing and all...Seems like one fisherman puts in on one side of the lake, racing to the other, while he passes another fisherman doing the opposite!Biggrin.gif And shouldn't we start a rumor that fish bite better in the rough water? Does a fast fishing boat catch fast fish? I know a fast car can catch fast women, but that may be different.....So many questions...

I never really understood why they were in such a hurry to go fishing? I thought fishing was about slowing down and relaxing and all...

Obviously you've never driven a bass boat, lol. Its a hoot. Ask Kevin VanDam if he's in a hurry to get to his spot before someone else does. I'd take his paycheck :) Is it completely necessary? No, but neither are 150mph street cars.

Obviously you've never driven a bass boat, lol. Its a hoot. Ask Kevin VanDam if he's in a hurry to get to his spot before someone else does. I'd take his paycheck :) Is it completely necessary? No, but neither are 150mph street cars.

Not only that, but the big tournaments are timed. The faster you can get to a spot, or to the next spot, or back to the weight in, the more time you can spend with bait in the water pulling in the big bass. Thumbup.gif

Ok, I have to ask?

What are you thinking that is smaller that will out perform the crate motor ZZ572? The ZZ572 are built around an all-new generation VI one piece main seal tall deck 572 cid with approximately 9.6:1 compression, 620 hp at 5,500 rpm, and 650 ft./lbs. of torque at 4,500 rpm with a recommended max rpm of 6,000.

Pump gas friendly, massive torque and horsepower...

"urh, urh, urh," Tim Allen -- Home Improvement

I now want that motor for every thing I own. :)

Ok, I have to ask?

What are you thinking that is smaller that will out perform the crate motor ZZ572? The ZZ572 are built around an all-new generation VI one piece main seal tall deck 572 cid with approximately 9.6:1 compression, 620 hp at 5,500 rpm, and 650 ft./lbs. of torque at 4,500 rpm with a recommended max rpm of 6,000.

Pump gas friendly, massive torque and horsepower...

Lets keep that torque figure in mind as we all know it's what pushes the boat thru the water! I stayed with pump gas to play fair.....Biggrin.gif

There is a nice supercharged 350: Edelbrock's E-Force supercharged crate engines produce a powerful 507 hp and 487 ft.-lbs. of torque! I bet both are throaty...

LS9 crate motor. Little less torque (but at a lower RPM), but more HP. Will also redline 500 RPM higher, lighter, smaller, and more fuel efficient. :) And very easy to make a pile of extra power out of it for not a lot of money.

LS9 crate motor. Little less torque (but at a lower RPM), but more HP. Will also redline 500 RPM higher, lighter, smaller, and more fuel efficient. :) And very easy to make a pile of extra power out of it for not a lot of money.

Looks like double the cost for the same power! Not sure I understand where the value of the small/high tech engine comes into play. I doubt the fuel brun at high power settings are very different. Perhaps the 6.2 would be better at crusing. I would much rather have an engine that I can easliy maintain so count me with the big displacement camp. Heavy wakeboard boats are a good thing.

Looks like double the cost for the same power! Not sure I understand where the value of the small/high tech engine comes into play. I doubt the fuel brun at high power settings are very different. Perhaps the 6.2 would be better at crusing. I would much rather have an engine that I can easliy maintain so count me with the big displacement camp. Heavy wakeboard boats are a good thing.

He asked for a motor, so I listed one. An LSA with a pulley swap would be about the same cost as that big block and achieve similar numbers as well. :)

Martin, the Vortec's would be a very good selection, will allow you to easily squeeze an extra 100hp if you want (I am assuming you have the pre Vortec heads on your engine now). The Vortec's flow much better and were introduced in '96 on the C/K pick up's. I am running a set of fast burn 385's which are great, and for me as a slalomer, losing the weight was also a key to picking those over a cast iron cylinder head.

PS: 400 hp will push a light weight Response/Echelon to the mid 50's, the added weight for the wake crowd does have a significant impact on top end as it adds that much more to the wetted surface area. Hard to outrun those 1800 pound bass boats!

Are you sure about the mid 50's?? I have the LS3 in a 2010 Repsonse LXI (425 hp and 425 TQ so they say), and I can't touch 50. And I have a 515 prop (13X13 with some cup).

There is sooo much drag via the wetted surface that even going to s/c (over 550 hp) you'll not see any signficant leaps in top speed at WOT.

Maybe if you put that LS3 in an older skier, you'd see those mid 50's, but not in the newer Malibus.

I have the 555 hp supercharged motor in our 23 LSV. 51 mph WOT with stock prop. 52 mph with a 17 inch prop. I don't think there is a thing that you can do to get more speed out the wakesetter hull.

I have the 555 hp supercharged motor in our 23 LSV. 51 mph WOT with stock prop. 52 mph with a 17 inch prop. I don't think there is a thing that you can do to get more speed out the wakesetter hull.

NOX

Are you sure about the mid 50's?? I have the LS3 in a 2010 Repsonse LXI (425 hp and 425 TQ so they say), and I can't touch 50. And I have a 515 prop (13X13 with some cup).

There is sooo much drag via the wetted surface that even going to s/c (over 550 hp) you'll not see any signficant leaps in top speed at WOT.

Maybe if you put that LS3 in an older skier, you'd see those mid 50's, but not in the newer Malibus.

My 01 Sunsetter (1st year for the Diamond Hull) does 47 MPH on the GPS (both my Garmin and iPhone TomTom Ap GPS), and that's below WOT as otherwise it will keep bouncing hard off the rev limiter - it is very clear it has more in her. And that's 375HP, running an Acme 381. I think I can get 50+ with the right prop on the stock motor...not that I'm really looking to do so.

NOX

I assume you mean N2O (nitrous oxide). I've ran it for years in my Formula, but I don't think it would be all that great in a general boating application.

NOx: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NOx

Edited by Nitrousbird

Yes, a couple of key notes, weight has an effect, the LXi is 2800#, my Echelon is much less and the LXi also has more wetted surface area.

Yes, a couple of key notes, weight has an effect, the LXi is 2800#, my Echelon is much less and the LXi also has more wetted surface area.

give it a try and let us know that turns out....Miid 50's is not never gonna happen!! even going downhill with the wind out your back. If you want a faster boat, buy a Sanger

Edited by jkendallmsce

My 01 Sunsetter (1st year for the Diamond Hull) does 47 MPH on the GPS (both my Garmin and iPhone TomTom Ap GPS), and that's below WOT as otherwise it will keep bouncing hard off the rev limiter - it is very clear it has more in her. And that's 375HP, running an Acme 381. I think I can get 50+ with the right prop on the stock motor...not that I'm really looking to do so.

I assume you mean N2O (nitrous oxide). I've ran it for years in my Formula, but I don't think it would be all that great in a general boating application.

NOx: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NOx

That's cause it is not a linear function....you'll need exponentially more power that attain marginal additional top speed. Changin the prop will not offset the drag

and I was joking about the NOX

Edited by jkendallmsce

Dropping a lot of names here ... Kevin's grew up on my lake and stayed at his grand parents right next door to me on School Section Lake

Tim Allen, went to WMU with him ... played football with him on Sunday at my place back in college on Eagle Lake ... the next day was the day he got, um, errr, got in trouble.

The only reason fishing boats go fast is they are after flying fish.

give it a try and let us know that turns out....Miid 50's is not never gonna happen!! even going downhill with the wind out your back. If you want a faster boat, buy a Sanger

That's cause it is not a linear function....you'll need exponentially more power that attain marginal additional top speed. Changin the prop will not offset the drag

and I was joking about the NOX

mid to late 90s echelons and responses are a significantly faster hull than a 2010 lxi. They are lighter, narrower, and the non-diamond is also faster. I have personally ridden in a 97-era response with the gen 1 monsoon (320 hp) and it ran a clocked 52. Steeper prop with 400hp, mid fifties are certainly possible. Anyone have the numbers on the response ss in + or - 2000-2002 era?

mid to late 90s echelons and responses are a significantly faster hull than a 2010 lxi. They are lighter, narrower, and the non-diamond is also faster. I have personally ridden in a 97-era response with the gen 1 monsoon (320 hp) and it ran a clocked 52. Steeper prop with 400hp, mid fifties are certainly possible. Anyone have the numbers on the response ss in + or - 2000-2002 era?

and if I put my LS3 in an old skier I could hit mid 50's maybe low 60's...coulda, woulda, shoulda

I saw a picture of a direct drive Sanger skiboat that had a big block engine installed that was in the 800 - 900 hp range. The owner claimed to get about 80 mph out of it. It was in an old HotBoat Magazine article years ago.

I saw a picture of a direct drive Sanger skiboat that had a big block engine installed that was in the 800 - 900 hp range. The owner claimed to get about 80 mph out of it. It was in an old HotBoat Magazine article years ago.

Sangers started out making very fast flat bottom boats, then shifted to making tournament types boats....but they have always been fast boats.