Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

selling boat that needs a new block

myimprezasti

Long story short my dealer says I need a new block. I was planning on selling the boat in the offseason, so my question is should I just sell as is and discount the price or pay to have it fixed before selling it? If I sell as is would around 28k be a reasonable price for a 2004 Wakesetter LSV, or should it be lower? Thanks.

Your also selling some unknowns..... like is the transmission OK? Or the v-drive? Or all the other systems people test when they test drive a boat. So you will get chewed down on the price, even from $28k, till you find the right guy who is mechanical enough to do the rebuild himself.

$28 is going to be tough with no motor, to put it in perspective I just bought mine for nearly that and everything on it works. Either way the real problem is that the average person will subtract the price of a new block and installation from what they are willing to pay. For me it would have been ideal though as I had even thought of yanking mine to have some fun with it. Going to need to find a buyer like that though for it to work out but that being said they might be a Craigslist listing away. Definitely worth a shot.

I would never buy a boat for that price that is advertised as "needs a block".

And, I've swapped one or two motors in my life.

Like Bill said, I'd be questioning everything else on the boat. Me no likey no test drive.

There are guys out there that are looking for winter projects but, you'll have to adjust motor or price accordingly.

I learned this when trying to sell a Ducati that I advertised as "needs motor". Found it was waaaaaay easier to swap the motor myself and get a few more smiles out of her.

It is my opinion that the price is on the high side considering it is the end of the season and it needs a new block. I am betting you will start to see that boat with a good block this time of year selling for 28k.

Your price will be wayyyy lower. People will low ball the heck out of it when it needs an engine. Others will just walk away, without an offer. So I'd say fix it. A little money now gets you a bunch more when you sell it.

Having purchased a boat that needed a new block last year, I would agree with the folks that think you're way too high for a boat that needs an engine. Buyers like me will wonder what else is wrong with it. So, you can't just discount the boat by the price of the engine swap - it will go much lower due to these unknowns. If you're wanting to get the most you can, then swap out the engine yourself before you sell it. If you don't want to do that, then be prepared to take a huge haircut on the boat.

When I've bought boats that needed a new block I pay the low end of the boat value minus retail cost of a new engine install, I'd say you'd be looking at low to mid 20's to unload the boat.

Also hammerhead or monsoon engine? Makes a big difference in the cost of replacement. Location will also play a factor.

Long story short my dealer says I need a new block. I was planning on selling the boat in the offseason, so my question is should I just sell as is and discount the price or pay to have it fixed before selling it? If I sell as is would around 28k be a reasonable price for a 2004 Wakesetter LSV, or should it be lower? Thanks.

I couldn't imagine spending $28k for a potential basketcase. My first thought is what else is wrong with it. For $28k I can find a boat that needs nothing. The fact that you don't want to fix it just screams that the problem is either really expensive or the problems are greater than the block.

Not a knock. Just giving you my first impression. Good luck.

Thanks for the advice, I think that I'll just have it fixed and then have the dealer sell it.

Dealer said something broke off (dont remember what the name of the part he said), and dumped most of the oil. When they replaced the part, the engine was still running rough so they did a compression test. They still have it and I'll look at the estimate this weekend to see what exactly broke.

Thanks for the advice, I think that I'll just have it fixed and then have the dealer sell it.

Dealer said something broke off (dont remember what the name of the part he said), and dumped most of the oil. When they replaced the part, the engine was still running rough so they did a compression test. They still have it and I'll look at the estimate this weekend to see what exactly broke.

Now, if you can get it running at all, that changes the calculus a bit.

I think you might find many buyers that would purchase a "rough running" or "underpowered" boat for $28K.

That being said, I am curious where you are located, the color of your boat the hours and so on. I might be willing to sell mine for a project boat, but it would have to be for the right one.

That being said, I am curious where you are located, the color of your boat the hours and so on. I might be willing to sell mine for a project boat, but it would have to be for the right one.

The boat is in north NJ at the malibu dealer on Lake Hopatcong. The hours are about 610 and the colors are red, black, and white. Has 4 ballast tanks, manual wedge, hammerhed engine, skylon tribal tower. If you want more pictures or more info let me know.

post-14800-019306600 1315600230_thumb.jp

Define "new block" as I have a feeling the proper term is NOT being used.

Is the block itself damaged (cracked from improper winterazation, rod go through it, etc.) or does the shortblock just need a rebuild and the block itself is perfectly fine?How is the top end of the motor? Can you get away with just purchasing a shortblock (or doing a rebuilt), or are the heads/cam/valvetrain trashed?

Pulling a boat motor isn't all that big of a deal.

Having purchased a boat that needed a new block last year, I would agree with the folks that think you're way too high for a boat that needs an engine. Buyers like me will wonder what else is wrong with it. So, you can't just discount the boat by the price of the engine swap - it will go much lower due to these unknowns. If you're wanting to get the most you can, then swap out the engine yourself before you sell it. If you don't want to do that, then be prepared to take a huge haircut on the boat.

Talk about being stuck between a rock and a hard place. I guess it depends on what exactly is wrong with it and your mechanical knwoledge. If you can do the work yourself and have the time, it probably would be worth repairing. If you need a new block and pay someone to do it, dont expect to get your money out of it unless you keep it. Plus there will be questions if everything else is ok even with a test drive. If i was you and it needed a new block (im not mechanically inclined), I would dump it and take the wash. Just my .02

OK I'll say it. You'd be lucky to get 15K for that boat as is. the guy who is wiling to assume the risk on something like that isnt going to go to the bank to get a loan for it. It"d be a project.

spend the 5-6K to replace the motor and then sell or keep it for yourself. With a new motor, that boat is likely worth mid 30s.

The boat is in north NJ at the malibu dealer on Lake Hopatcong. The hours are about 610 and the colors are red, black, and white. Has 4 ballast tanks, manual wedge, hammerhed engine, skylon tribal tower. If you want more pictures or more info let me know.

Is that a water stain on the bottom of the hull or a bad reflection?

I thought the same thing looks like a BAD water stain to me.

boat on same lake. its a bad stain. leave a boat in the water long enough, a few weeks, it looks like that. good washing will take it right off

Ill just fix it and then sell it. Yea the boat stays in over the summer so that is a stain. Attached picture is from right before it went in this season, it gets a bottom cleaning at the end of the season when it gets winterized.

post-14800-048344200 1315703961_thumb.jp

Update: the dealer jumped the gun in saying i needed a new block... it was a stuck valve causing the compression problems so they said hopefully that is all that is causing the low compression