Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Adding front ballast to 2006 247

TallRedRider

I know the answer is already in here somewhere, but I cannot find it. It does not help that the search engine won't allow me to use the search term 247. Lots of ballast threads that do not relate to my boat...many of them are direct drives. So I got bogged down in too many threads.

The previous owner of my boat did not realize the value of having front ballast, so he did not order it with front ballast. Seems foolish to me, but now it is my problem.

I am adding front ballast to my 2006 247. The part I am having the hardest time with is going to be running new ballast hose. Looking into the center compartment, the gas tank and ballast tanks are visible. There is a ballast pump for the intake that has a hose that disappears under the drivers seat. There is another ballast pump that is attached to the bottom of the tank for the discharge that also goes into the area under the driver's seat. There are 2 hoses each coming from the rear corners of the tanks, and they disappear into that magical compartment under the driver's seat. The overflow is in front of the driver and there is one outlet for the overflow and 1 for the discharge. So I am a bit confused as to where the hoses are going. There has to be a T somewhere in there, or there is a return line with a vented loop. But there is no vented loop to be found...Anyone know where it is at, and is it easy to find?

The reason any of this is important is because I have to somehow get my intake hose and wiring for the front ballast from the center compartment up to under the driver's feet. Threading it from the compartment, then under the driver's seat and then up next to the subwoofer is going to be mighty tricky. So I had the genius idea to thread a wire through the ballast hose, pull the old ballast hose and then pull a wire, a new ballast intake hose, and then rethread the old hose all using a rope that I had pulled and looped through the original ballast hose. Sorry if that does not make sense, read it slowly. :rofl:

However, I cannot pass a wire through any of the hoses. They get stuck 3-5 feet into it. I assumed that the dishcharge hose was a straight shot with no loops or anything, but I cannot get it to thread either. Maybe it just makes a sharp curve and won't let it pass. I only tried one of the 2 hoses from the top of the tank, so maybe the third hose is a straight overflow?

This will all be a little easier if I completely take out the subwoofer, but I would like to keep the boat fully functional as that I am still using it. Our season is awesome right now, and water is generally glassy. I generally work on the boat a piece at a time and would like to keep everything functional.

I found this thread that has a nice explanation of a new tank install up front, but he never mentions how he threaded the hoses. I suspect on his VLX that the distance was shorter?

That is my thread. Ask any thing you want. The bow ballast is the same for all the boats in my year range regardless of size.

Thanks John! I was hoping you were still around. The main question is how did you thread the hose from the center compartment to the front? I guess that was one very long post above when that is my simple problem. I think it might be very difficult even if I remove the woofer.

The only hose that comes out of the bilge is the fill line. It runs in the stringer and pops up behind your sub. You then run it up the wall to a antisiphon. From the antisiphon the fill line runs over the wall and back down the gap in the corner and over to the tank. The drain line will follow the same path from the tank only after coming over the wall it will go to the thru hull. The vent should run next to the tank and up in the same corner to its thru hull.

The only hose that comes out of the bilge is the fill line. It runs in the stringer and pops up behind your sub. You then run it up the wall to a antisiphon. From the antisiphon the fill line runs over the wall and back down the gap in the corner and over to the tank. The drain line will follow the same path from the tank only after coming over the wall it will go to the thru hull. The vent should run next to the tank and up in the same corner to its thru hull.

Makes sense...but I did not see the antisiphon when I had the sub out earlier this year. But I was not looking for it either. Anyone know where it is at?

Why doesn't Malibu just use a check valve on the intake hose to stop the siphoning issue? That way, water can go in, but cannot go out. Would seem to be simpler than the antisiphon valve.

The anti siphon for the midship tank is in the observers compartmentl. the antisiphon is used so the tank will not auto fill. the check valve theory will not stop that from happening.

Edited by liljohn

The anti siphon for the midship tank is in the observers compartmentl. the antisiphon is used so the tank will not auto fill. the check valve theory will not stop that from happening.

Mine is definitely not in the observers compartment....unless they carpeted over it? I have been in there removing batteries and amps and double checked last night after I saw someone else's thread about the broken ballast hose. Unless it could be under the carpet? The previous stereo installers were a bunch of yahoos, and who knows what they could have done. I will search for it again.

Maybe if it got moved and kinked a hose, it might explain my 12-15 minute fill time on that tank.

Siphoning...of course I was thinking the purpose of the valve was to stop it from emptying like I would siphon a gas tank. Wasn't thinking of siphoning the lake into the tank. Makes sense.

Edited by TallRedRider

The antisiphon should be on the lower right corner of the walkthru wall. There should be two holes in the floor line in line out. If you pull the gas tank floor board you can see up in there real well. That might help you.

Mine is definitely not in the observers compartment....unless they carpeted over it? I have been in there removing batteries and amps and double checked last night after I saw someone else's thread about the broken ballast hose. Unless it could be under the carpet? The previous stereo installers were a bunch of yahoos, and who knows what they could have done. I will search for it again.

Maybe if it got moved and kinked a hose, it might explain my 12-15 minute fill time on that tank.

Siphoning...of course I was thinking the purpose of the valve was to stop it from emptying like I would siphon a gas tank. Wasn't thinking of siphoning the lake into the tank. Makes sense.

The antisiphon on my 2006 247 was under the driver's helm. The lines from the midship ballast came up through the hole in the floor to the antisiiphon and back down. I located the new antisiphon for the bow ballast right next to the midship one.