Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

VTX Surf Wave -

TimD

Hey all -

I'm running a '11 VTX with rear and center stock ballast full(no stock bow ballast). Also have a 750 in the rear and a 250 between the bow seat. Wave is big and powerful at about 10.5 mph. My question is that the wedge actually seems to make the wave more mushy. I don't have the power wedge, so I can't tweak it. It's either deployed or not. Is there something I can do to make better use of the wedge? Is it worth popping for the extra coin to get the power wedge this winter?

Thanks for any advice,

T

Hey all -

I'm running a '11 VTX with rear and center stock ballast full(no stock bow ballast). Also have a 750 in the rear and a 250 between the bow seat. Wave is big and powerful at about 10.5 mph. My question is that the wedge actually seems to make the wave more mushy. I don't have the power wedge, so I can't tweak it. It's either deployed or not. Is there something I can do to make better use of the wedge? Is it worth popping for the extra coin to get the power wedge this winter?

Thanks for any advice,

T

TimD , I noticed that on my 2011 VTX when I added a bunch of extra weight in the back, like you mentioned the platform actually starts to dig in to the wave hard enough it acts like a trim tab. This weekend I am going to remove my platform and fill the rear tank, 750 bag on top in rear compartment, center full, and bow 50%. When we are sitting still and accelerating the wave is nice a long and then the boat seems to right itself from the "lean" we are looking for. I have measured the height that my platform sits at on my 07 VTX and the 11 VTX and the 2011 sits approx 2" lower and sits flat on the water. I will look for a couple of pics for comparison.

Trent

TimD , I noticed that on my 2011 VTX when I added a bunch of extra weight in the back, like you mentioned the platform actually starts to dig in to the wave hard enough it acts like a trim tab. This weekend I am going to remove my platform and fill the rear tank, 750 bag on top in rear compartment, center full, and bow 50%. When we are sitting still and accelerating the wave is nice a long and then the boat seems to right itself from the "lean" we are looking for. I have measured the height that my platform sits at on my 07 VTX and the 11 VTX and the 2011 sits approx 2" lower and sits flat on the water. I will look for a couple of pics for comparison.

Trent

Thanks Trent, I'll be interested to hear what you find.

I don't exactly have a VTX but I have an opinion ;)

I wouldn't waste money on a power wedge.....I don't think your going to squeeze that much more out of it.

I can tell you that there seems to be about an equal amount of people that do run the wedge and those that don't.

I run the wedge...my friend doesn't. I surf behind both boats frequently and while the wave is different, both are equally fun. It is about preference and hull design. If you cant make the wedge work, I would say don't use it then....

Trent

Trent

Seems like you may need a little more bow weight? With only half the front full you may be adding to the trim tab effect of your rear platform. I run a 400 on the seat and well as a 400 in the bow and pick the speed up to 10.6 regular and 10.8 for goofy. I do however find with this much weight the boat is super sensitive to passenger position. We noticed the same on Penners 10 VLX but mostly on the goofy side. I found a very very slight turn away from the wave kept it really clean.

Rob. I ddnt have the bow tank on my 07 and had a great wave with the same weight. I have tried the bow tank full and end up with the same issue. I am heading out today and may try removing the platform and see what happens..

More Bow weight if the swimdeck is digging. Your wake may not look as tall but will be tons more rider friendly. You may want to raise your speed some 11.6+

This was a pic with only a 750lb in the locker and a 2/3 full bow sac with all 4 factory full

post-6438-058455100 1315773742_thumb.jpg

Edited by CRASH
  • 2 weeks later...

More Bow weight if the swimdeck is digging. Your wake may not look as tall but will be tons more rider friendly. You may want to raise your speed some 11.6+

This was a pic with only a 750lb in the locker and a 2/3 full bow sac with all 4 factory full

Surf wave looks great Crash.

Do you have your wedge down in this photo (or when you surf)? I've been finding I get some wash coming over into the wave when I'm not riding with people in the boat. If I run 750lbs in the locker, 3 tanks full, power wedge 100%, I get the wash. I need 2-3 people sitting on the surf side and then it's good. Do I need to get a bow sac like you run??

Just wondering, but why all 4 tanks full?

Surf wave looks great Crash.

Do you have your wedge down in this photo (or when you surf)? I've been finding I get some wash coming over into the wave when I'm not riding with people in the boat. If I run 750lbs in the locker, 3 tanks full, power wedge 100%, I get the wash. I need 2-3 people sitting on the surf side and then it's good. Do I need to get a bow sac like you run??

Its hard with a Power wedge to get rid of the wash. I have a man or floating wedge wedge on the VTX. Bow weight helps alot of the time I run a x2 sac in the walk through i believe it to be 450lbs.

I do run all4 tanks full the extra 225 on the right helps get the boat in deeper making a deeper pocket, more room to ride out from the wake.