Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

transom fading...how to restore

boat is maroon and the stern/transom above the swim deck is fading a little from the previous owner keeping it on a lift (rear sun exposure). it has that faded white look to it. can you guys recommend a product/process to restore?

thanks

boat is maroon and the stern/transom above the swim deck is fading a little from the previous owner keeping it on a lift (rear sun exposure). it has that faded white look to it. can you guys recommend a product/process to restore?

thanks

The process I used to restore mine was:

-Wetsand with a sanding block 400/800/1000/1200/2000

-3M Marine Rubbing Compound with buffer (synthetic wool pad)

-3M Marine Polish with buffer (soft sponge pad)

-Collonite's Marine Wax (by hand with microfiber cloths)

I did the entire boat and took me about 5 days. If you're only doing the transom, then you'll probably want to do the rest as well, because the color will end up deeper and shinier than the rest of the boat, which is also certainly oxidized as well.

Here's a pic after wetsanding to get the faded outline of the old graphics off:

image_url-14611-1306362267.jpg

And the final result:

image_url-14611-1307048899.jpg

image_url-14611-1307048857.jpg

Have fun! it's very rewarding to bring gelcoat back to life.

The process I used to restore mine was:

-Wetsand with a sanding block 400/800/1000/1200/2000

-3M Marine Rubbing Compound with buffer (synthetic wool pad)

-3M Marine Polish with buffer (soft sponge pad)

-Collonite's Marine Wax (by hand with microfiber cloths)

I agree with this, did a similar process to my boat when I bought it, and took it from pink back to red again. In your initial sanding with the 400 grit, sand it until you see the true color. Be patient, work on a small 12x12" area at a time. All of a sudden you will see the original color come thru, it's a great feeling. Then do the rest of it until that color comes thru. Then when you move on to the 800 grit, you will no longer be exposing color, but will be sanding out the 400 grit scratches. The 1000 grit sands out the 800 grit scratches. Etc. Take your time, and make sure you are not missing any areas with each incremental grit. I did my transom, and about halfway forward up the gunnels, then everything above the rub rail. It does take a lot of time, but it will come out amazing.

thanks

I had some decent oxidation on my 1997 in the rear from lift sun exposure when I got it earlier this year. As long as your oxidation isn't extreme, Collinite 920 does a fantastic job at removing oxidation. All I did was put a small ammount on a microfiber towel and rub it on the boat till it was buffed out. You can also use it on a buffing wheel too. I removed the "Echelon" decals from the rear of the Bu and it left a clear-as-day "ECHELON" in perfect gelcoat on a back drop of oxidized gelcoat. After I was done with the Collinite 920, you can't see the "Echelon" at all. It took an hour and about 12 microfiber towels. I then followed it up with some Collininte 925 wax, and the Bu looks like new.

Collinite 920 is kind of like a rubbing compound, but it is a cleaner too. Wet sanding starting with 400 grit is a very aggressive method. You might ultimately need to wet sand, but, if I were you, I would start with something a whole lot quicker and easier on the gelcoat.

I had some decent oxidation on my 1997 in the rear from lift sun exposure when I got it earlier this year. As long as your oxidation isn't extreme, Collinite 920 does a fantastic job at removing oxidation. All I did was put a small ammount on a microfiber towel and rub it on the boat till it was buffed out. You can also use it on a buffing wheel too. I removed the "Echelon" decals from the rear of the Bu and it left a clear-as-day "ECHELON" in perfect gelcoat on a back drop of oxidized gelcoat. After I was done with the Collinite 920, you can't see the "Echelon" at all. It took an hour and about 12 microfiber towels. I then followed it up with some Collininte 925 wax, and the Bu looks like new.

Collinite 920 is kind of like a rubbing compound, but it is a cleaner too. Wet sanding starting with 400 grit is a very aggressive method. You might ultimately need to wet sand, but, if I were you, I would start with something a whole lot quicker and easier on the gelcoat.

going to start with the 920......not ready to sand that hard!!! thanks

Beautiful restore. Wish I had that much patients. Just wondering you said it took you 5 days about how may hours a day did you send on it? Plus is that a Stainless Steel Prop known as the deadly CVP. Its time to put that thing on the shelf before a blade comes off and damages your boat! Words of Caution.

Edited by CumminsBu