Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Which Barefoot Boom for a 2001 SS LXI?

WoodyBC

I'd like to put a barefoot boom on my 2001 Sunsetter LXI. What do you recommend? Is one brand better than the others? If you know the model #, it would be helpful because I intend on looking for a used one first. Do I want a straight one or one with a bend in the bar that attaches to the pylon.

Thanks, and loving my new boat!

Woody

The Skylon boom is an excellent choice, and a favorite of mine. Bemman boom is a good option, but at this point it's more expensive. The BI boom is heavy as crap, and the clamp is a great knee gasher. If you want to adjust it you need to buy an additional "adjuster" or carry a 3/4" wrench with you. The Skylon has two cables with ratchet straps for a perfect fit on any boat you are using, whereas the BI uses cable pinch clamps to set up on one boat only. The worlds best barefooters don't use BI, but everyone has an opinion.

Skylon (ECI) boom is $499.

Peter

Edited by SmoothWaterMan

Do your research and make your own decision but I ended up with a Barefoot International B202 Contoured Boom. It has an offset bend to get it behind the windshield on the gunnel. A buddy has an ECI and frankly, I'm not impressed. My BI has a MUCH more substantial pylon clamp and two cables that go forward to the bow eye. I got my most helpful information from a guy that I ski with who at one time in his younger years was a nationally ranked barefooter and his comment was "I would never use anything but a BI".

Good luck with your decision. Maybe head over to a footin' website and ask your question there...

Do your research and make your own decision but I ended up with a Barefoot International B202 Contoured Boom. It has an offset bend to get it behind the windshield on the gunnel.

I have the same boom and it is great.

I have a BI becuase I got a good deal on it. I like it, but Peter's points are good. Its heavy, the clamp is an accident waiting to happen with kids in the boat, and the cable's are not easily adjustable.

I'm not saying I wouldn't buy another one, I would just look at the others.

I have the ECI boom. I chose the ECI cuz it was used, at a good price, from a guy that had it on an Echelon, so I knew it would fit. I have a buddy with a Nautique and the BI boom. His pylon clamp is very awkward, hard to adjust, and stays mounted in his boat. My ECI clamp is a very quick on/off/adjust. I've had a lot of people learn to barefoot and wakeboard off of it, no problems. Two things I don't like are 1) there is no extension available for it, and 2) it only mounts on the spotter's side. My buddy's BI boom has an 18" extension available to get away from the spray, and the boom can mount on either side, which is nice for tight turns on little lakes like ours.

<snip> it only mounts on the spotter's side. <snip>

Drill a hole 90 degrees from the current one, and you can use it on the drivers side. I would guess that the BI your friend has must be a straight boom, for their curved one can't mount to both sides due to the milled end.

Peter

Drill a hole 90 degrees from the current one, and you can use it on the drivers side. I would guess that the BI your friend has must be a straight boom, for their curved one can't mount to both sides due to the milled end.

:no: Not true. :fingerwag:

I have my BI boom set up for use on the drivers side. No modification required. The "milled" end is square so technically it is "rotated" 180° from where it would be if used on observers side.

I got the extension to get out of the chine spray and a height adjuster which makes it really easy to adjust for different size athletes. With the height adjuster the pylon clamp sits directly on the floor and the height adjuster "tower" extends up on the drivers side of the pylon. Completely out of the way and a much more solid connection than a quick-release clamp thing.

I'll try to get some pictures.

I bought the BI boom from Peter a few years back and I have gotten plenty of use from it. I went through the

same process as you and I looked at all of them and talked to multiple people as well as members of the crew.

You will be happy with whatever boom you choose...one thing I will say is that I hear time and time again about

people hitting their ankles on the bracket that is for the most part a permanent fixture on your pylon...it does

happen but not nearly as much as you would think...if you have not seen one in person you would think it is

a monster of a clamp that reaches out and chews ankles!!! My last point is that I have a 2001 Sunsetter LX...

I'm not sure if the spray from the chines is a little more then the LXI but Peter suggested that I get the "extension"

and it was good advice!!! Good Luck!!!

Edited by CLOUT1

We use the contoured BI on our Response LXI and have used it for 6 years on our closed bow Response before that. It's a heavy boom, but good quality.

We have an old ('79 - so I'd say classic.....) Ski Nautique as well and have a straight Bemman on that boat. The boat could use some overhauling, but the Bemman is still in good shape. I can only say that both booms are extremely durable.

Awesome advice from everyone, I really appreciate all the experience that you guys share. Already been offered a used one from a crew member. This is an awesome group..Thanks!

I have a buddy with a Nautique and the BI boom. His pylon clamp is very awkward, hard to adjust, and stays mounted in his boat.

Adjusting the BI clamp requires a ¾" wrench (two bolts). Hardly awkward and hard to adjust. That said, to make adjustment easy I got the height adjuster. Now I have the solid mount of the BI clamp with one push-pin adjustment for height. And as far as "an accident waiting to happen..." the clamp is not quite that large. And it is set-up to be on the drivers side (no modification required). The only downside to setting it up for the driver's side is that the printing on the clamp is upside down. :crazy:

post-45-087453400 1315714900_thumb.jpgpost-45-010146300 1315715011_thumb.jpg

The BI should be here on Thursday. Sucks tho. Broke my ankle yesterday wiping out on my slalom ski. There's always next year! Thanks for the pics and advice Norcalibu!

Norcalibu,

I like that idea of the height adjuster with the pin. Your pictures answered a lot of my questions without me even asking. I would've had it mounted about 18 inches too high! Thanks very much for posting. :clap:

Keep in mind that the height of the clamp from the floor will be different in different boats. The gunnel acts as a fulcrum point so the lower the gunnel the lower the clamp will be on the pylon to achieve similar bar height. My Sporty has really low gunnels so even before the height adjuster the clamp was mounted pretty low. Your clamp location will be different. I do highly recommend both the height adjuster and the 18" extension. The cables are a complete PITA to adjust so if you want the extension I would get it before you adjust the cables to fit your boat otherwise you'll be adjusting them all over again. :Doh:

Good call.

Well, the BFI is lying here on my living room floor taunting me. Not this season boom. You have to wait to abuse me til next season. The extension and adjuster seems like a great idea. Maybe stocking stuffers?

Awesome advice, and I was totallly hooked up by a crew member on the sale of his BFI boom. I had no idea these things were so big and heavy. (Especially to ship). I absolutley love my Malibu boat! Cant wait to learn to barefoot. Although, I can wait until the rainbow of colors disappears from my ankle. Try to hold a cup of coffee and move to a different room on crutches. This sucks.

Good call.

Well, the BFI is lying here on my living room floor taunting me. Not this season boom. You have to wait to abuse me til next season. The extension and adjuster seems like a great idea. Maybe stocking stuffers?

Awesome advice, and I was totallly hooked up by a crew member on the sale of his BFI boom. I had no idea these things were so big and heavy. (Especially to ship). I absolutley love my Malibu boat! Cant wait to learn to barefoot. Although, I can wait until the rainbow of colors disappears from my ankle. Try to hold a cup of coffee and move to a different room on crutches. This sucks.

:lol: I know that feeling. Well, both the ankle and the tempting boom. Watch lots of video. Sit on the floor and practice your 3 point. Footing is a blast. Last time I had crutches I built a little cup holder on the side....but it wasn't for coffee.