Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Beginer slalom ski from Radar (advise please)

Bamburo

Hi,

I am new to salom skiing and I'm in the process of achieving most of my hard attemped deep-water starts. So far I have been using an Obrien Performer (Combo), which feels wide, stable and heavy. I am 52, 190 pounds and 5,10 and I ski behind a 21 Vride 2008. I believe that I'm ready for a new Slalom ski and after watching my daughter really improve on her new Radar Theory (65), I am tempted towards a Radar, either the P Six or the Theory.

I need a wide body ski to help with the deep-water starts but I do not want to grow on it too fast and be in the market again in a couple of months for a new ski. Most of the time I will be free skiing, although they have just set up a slalom course nearby in my home lake, but as of now...I'm terrified of the hugh wake of my Vride as still I ski at very moderate speeds (38 Kms <=> 24 miles approx).

Please I need advice: which of these two skies would you recommend for me, the Radar Theory or the Radar P Six?.

Thanks and regards from Spain.

Thanks guys for your suggestions. Actually a 68 would be great but I they only have it on 67 or 69. The P six max with is 7,651" versus the Theory which is 7,347"...but then again I could choose a 69 size instead and be better off. Most of you recommend the Theory...why?...is it because the P Six is too wide?. I have to say that my first deep-water start was on a HO Rival...but I do not think that I need such a wide ski.

Thanks again.

I too would say the Theory over the P6. You would progress quickly past the P6, while the Theory will allow you to progress into much more aggressive skiing. The 67" should be fine for you. We are similar size and age and I was on a 67" HO Triumph for a number of year. The Triumph and Theory are very similar skis. I found the 69" to feel like I was skiing on a big plank.

If possible, it is always good to demo first.

I too would say the Theory over the P6. You would progress quickly past the P6, while the Theory will allow you to progress into much more aggressive skiing. The 67" should be fine for you. We are similar size and age and I was on a 67" HO Triumph for a number of year. The Triumph and Theory are very similar skis. I found the 69" to feel like I was skiing on a big plank.

If possible, it is always good to demo first.

Great, thanks. I will trust your suggestion as I can not demo that ski around Madrid area. Besides, the 67 looks like a good "motivation" to get rid off those extra pounds around my waist.....

I have owned a 67" Radar Senate...currently own a 67" Strada (primary ski) and also a 67" Theory.  I am 5ft 10in, was 195 lbs when I purchased all of them, now down to 183.  <div>I was going to say that the 67" Theory would be perfect for you...then noticed that you are skiing at a very slow 24 mph.  Thus you will have a hard time getting good feedback anywhere, since it is an unusually slow speed for an adult slalom skier.   Have you tried skiing closer to 30mph....the wakes will be smaller.  The 69" Theory is a surfboard.  It has been discussed that the Radar recommended ski sizes seem to steer you towards a bigger size then needed.  I have a 67" Theory that I occasionally use.  I'm 5ft 10in and was 195 lbs when I got it and it was plenty big skiing at 30-32mph. <br><br>Here is the dilemma or tradeoff w/ wider skis....while they may be stable and easier to get up on, you really want to the ski to be on edge during wake crossings....particularly if your boat puts out a big wake.  This is not always easy for beginners to do...especially if you are afraid of the wakes.  If I hit the wakes on my Theory w/ the ski riding flat, it "launches" me far more than my regular ski (Strada).      For this reason alone, I would eliminate considering the even wider P-Six.  You can grow w/ the Theory.    Don't be afraid of a Radar Senate either....an excellent all around ski and a very good choice...and easy to get up on and grow with.

</div><div><br></div><div>I guess you need to determine what your goals are as far as boat speed goes...to determine which size is best suited for you.  My vote would be to learn to ski at a faster boat speed and go w/ a 67".</div>

Edited by davemac

+1 on the theory, Picked up a 2011 69" this year. I have not been on a ski for 10 years, and it was a very easy transition. I was looking at the 67 VS the 69 and was told the same thing, it would be easier to deep water start with the 69. To be honest, I dont notice the extra length, but I am a recreational skier and do not ski a course. Love the ski, but dont have anything to compare it to. The Radar boots are Great too!!!! So comfy Vectors!!

Great!...thanks to you all for your much apprecaited advice!. Actually I reckon that I'm skiing at very low speeds, but I have just begun free-ride slalom ski. This is what I will do: I will progressively increase the boat speed to gain confidence. At the same time, I will try hard to edge the ski when xing the wakes (this I still do not do and I get launched a bit) and little by little I will gain confidence and improve my technique.

All this without abondoning my very severe diet...mumm I love tapas & wine sooo much!.

As for the ski...I think I will go for the Theory 67...unless I find a good deal on a Radar Senete (this Xmas I will visit Miami).

Hasta pronto!

Fernando

I too just picked up a 69 Theory. I absolutely love it. I feel like it grips the water great and is very stable. I am 6' 2.5" and hover at around 195 lbs. I typically ski at 32/33 mph and wake crossings are smooth. I couldn't imagine crossing a wake at 24 mph. You should try to bump the speed up to 30ish just to see what it does to the wake on your boat. You can always have the driver slow back down with hand signals. I know the wake behind my Echelon really starts to flatten and soften out at 28-30, and at 32 it is even better. Any way you go, you are going to love it compaired to a combo set.

Another choice would be a Connolly Concept.

http://www.connellyskis.com/connelly_slalom_ski_concept.php

I own a fleet of H.O. skis which is what I have been buying for the last 20 years or so.

I currently ski on an H.o. Vengeance that I bought in 2004 or so.

My ski buddy, Dennis has a Connolly Concept.

It is a better ski than mine in two regards.

It is worth an extra foot or so going around the balls on our local ski course.

And it is easier to get up on.

This is from actual practice of interchanging between both skis.

These two skis appear very similar. But the Connolly is better.

Another choice would be a Connolly Concept.

http://www.connellyskis.com/connelly_slalom_ski_concept.php

I own a fleet of H.O. skis which is what I have been buying for the last 20 years or so.

I currently ski on an H.o. Vengeance that I bought in 2004 or so.

My ski buddy, Dennis has a Connolly Concept.

It is a better ski than mine in two regards.

It is worth an extra foot or so going around the balls on our local ski course.

And it is easier to get up on.

This is from actual practice of interchanging between both skis.

These two skis appear very similar. But the Connolly is better.

Wow, it is funny how different styles and weight give preference to different Skiis, I have skied on a concept for more than 8 years and thought it was the perfect for me. I could really carve it up on that ski but sheer laziness and a few xtra pounds found me riding the HO Triumph which I feel I perform at the same level on with less effort. It took me about a week of messin with the fin and boot set up in that ski but once I got the right combo, I was hooked. The concept edges real well but edge transitions were less subtle. Now I'm thinkin of tweekin the concept again.