Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Broken wedge- Need answers on "Floating" upgrade

Foatin' Doats!

My wedge found a stump this weekend and bent one of the actuator arms. I tried to fix it by heating it and bending it. Put it on an anvil and with the first strike of the hammer, Crack!... It broke in two (the actuator arm) right at one of the pin holes. So, now I've got a foil and one arm for sale...

I've read several threads on the floater, but can't seem to get a clear picture. My question is, could someone verify for me that to upgrade to the "floating" wedge, not only do you have to buy the new wedge, but also a new bracket? And that the bracket must be installed by the dealer? To clarify, will the bracket used to mount my old wedge to the transom not fit the new floating wedge? I saw a bracket for the floating wedge for sale on ebay, which seems to counter the claim it is dealer installed only. It was like $475 for the bracket alone. That's a lot of cheddar for a piece of metal IMO.

Yes, a new bracket is needed.  I just upgraded mine a month ago 04VLX, dealer game me a quote and I faxed it to my insurance.  When the dealer received the new parts I went and got them.  My buddy and I installed it.  I used the original backing plate in the bilge since it was already sealed to the hull and looked the same as the new one.  The only issue we had was that the wedge arms were actually to tall for the bracket meaning we could install it but it wouldn't swing down, I guess quality control had the day off.  We used a grinder and rounded the top corners to get it work, but this created a new problem because the arms are hollow and grinding the corners made holes, luckily my buddy works at a shop with welders who filled the holes.  All in all with insurance the upgrade cost me around $200.  I sure that if my dealer did the work they would have had my boat a week+ and I would have had to pay their labor.

I did not have to drill new holes for the new bracket, my hole spacing is:

center to center of horizontal holes 7"

center to center of vertical holes 5¼"

Edited by JustinOSU

Yes, a new bracket is needed.  I just upgraded mine a month ago 04VLX, dealer game me a quote and I faxed it to my insurance.  When the dealer received the new parts I went and got them.  My buddy and I installed it.  I used the original backing plate in the bilge since it was already sealed to the hull and looked the same as the new one.  The only issue we had was that the wedge arms were actually to tall for the bracket meaning we could install it but it wouldn't swing down, I guess quality control had the day off.  We used a grinder and rounded the top corners to get it work, but this created a new problem because the arms are hollow and grinding the corners made holes, luckily my buddy works at a shop with welders who filled the holes.  All in all with insurance the upgrade cost me around $200.  I sure that if my dealer did the work they would have had my boat a week+ and I would have had to pay their labor.

I did not have to drill new holes for the new bracket, my hole spacing is:

center to center of horizontal holes 7"

center to center of vertical holes 5¼"

I just posted what is needed on the other install forum. Search Gilby1604 for the how to.

good luck.

When I did it I was told that the dealer can not sell a new bracket....maybe that has changed now. Regardless I found a used one (ironically from a dealer). Like I say the policy might have changed don't know.

It is a bolt on application. Make sure you seal everything very well. The backing plate does not need to be changed. I recomend leaving it as it is difficult to remove anyway.

It is going to be way more durable and might actually kick up if you hit another stump.

There is probably a small improvement to both the surf and wakeboard wake.

Thanks for the replies guys. Yeah, I was actually thinking the biggest advantage would be the ability for the wedge to kick up if I do hit something. This has never been a problem where we ride, but our lake is getting low, and now those stumps that were never a problem have started rearing their ugly heads. A friend lost her prop and tranny to one a few weeks ago in the same area.