Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Response LXI ordered - Questions

hukk

I currently have a 98 Sunsetter that I purchased new and just ordered an 06 Response LXI. I have a few questions I hope I can get some help and feedback on.

1. The boat comes standard with a machined 3 blade Nibral prop. I ordered 3 blade stainless instead as my Sunsetter has a stainless, not machined, prop which came stock. I have never damaged this prop even though I have hit numerous sticks at my local area. Any recommendations stainless or nibral? Not sure if the 06 stainless will be machined and I do want 3 blade.

2. The interior vinyl material for 06 has some areas that are an M-Grain material. The build sheet for the boat has an option for no M-Grain at additional cost. What is the M-Grain? Is the M-Grain material harder to care for or less resistant to wear?

3. Who is the person to contact for factory pictures of the boat build in progress?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

I currently have a 98 Sunsetter that I purchased new and just ordered an 06 Response LXI. I have a few questions I hope I can get some help and feedback on.

1. The boat comes standard with a machined 3 blade Nibral prop. I ordered 3 blade stainless instead as my Sunsetter has a stainless, not machined, prop which came stock. I have never damaged this prop even though I have hit numerous sticks at my local area. Any recommendations stainless or nibral? Not sure if the 06 stainless will be machined and I do want 3 blade.

2. The interior vinyl material for 06 has some areas that are an M-Grain material. The build sheet for the boat has an option for no M-Grain at additional cost. What is the M-Grain? Is the M-Grain material harder to care for or less resistant to wear?

3. Who is the person to contact for factory pictures of the boat build in progress?

Welcome to the site,

As far as the prop goes the new C&Ced nibral props are very, very accutately made, so the performance gains with the SS props are decreasing. If you hit a rock hard enough with the SS it can transfer into you power train and cost a load. The nibral prop should just bend and crush, hopefully protecting your drive shaft, strut, and tranny.

I have no advice on the vinyl. To get factory support or to schedule a tour just call the phone number on their site. They are very cool to work with and they will set you up with one of the customer relations people to talk to you and email you progress pictures.

If you have a chance schedule a tour while your boat is being built, it is well worth the drive IMO.

Keep us posted.

Joe

Caongrats on the new boat!!!

On the prop, depending on what you do most and where you are located will better help us to answer the question. If you ski mostly then you may want to increase the dia. or pitch- there are some threads about props by GalaxyToad where he has gotten a bigger prop and likes it better. At sea level the standard prop, ACME 515, pulls very hard for slalom. If you are going to be wakeboarding mostly then you might like the increased RPM's of the ACME 515. Stainless, as a general rule, has less flex and therefore provides a stiffer pull for slalom.

I don't know about the rest....

The M-Grain you referred to is the textured vinyl on the interior. On a 2006 RLXi, there is alot of M-grain. IMO it is very durable, but will require more of an effort to clean. Wherever you see white in these 2 pics is M-grain. I tell customers to leave it in, it isn't worth paying extra to not have it. If you want a 100% smooth vinyl interior, than this option is for you.

As far as production pics, what plant is your boat being manufactured at ? That makes a difference as far as who to email.

MM

Thanks for the great, fast feedback and the congrats.

Regarding location and use, I am in Portland OR, so esentially sea level. Primarily slalom skiing. I start with both feet in bindings and weigh about 210. Current Sunsetter with Monsoon 325 pops me up fine, but it's pretty much give it full throttle. Guess I am concerned about damaging a Nibral prop on sticks and debris early in the spring. Most of the time we are on the Willamette River which has bunches of debris early and somtimes even in summer.

Thanks for the info on the textured vinyl. Based on this I will stay with textured. Interior will be Moonbeam with Dark Blue trim, so shouldn't be nearly as bad as White for keeping clean.

My guess is also that the boat will be built in Merced. I'll contact the factory, Mike Sanchez.

I would assume that since he's in Portland, Or that it would be constructed in Merced therefore, contact Mike Sanchez.

OOps, my bad. I didn't notice his location.

One correction:

Wherever you see white except the top of the engine cover, which is smooth. Either way, congrats on the purchase of a great boat. You won't be dissapointed, no matter what prop you decide on.

Edited by Madmanacrossthewater
Actually, Mike isn't taking care of the pictures anymore. Talk to either Ellery or Jorge. They'll set you up with the pictures.

Jorge sent me mine and he also was the one who followed up on my 6th month customer survey. A man of many hats I guess.

Thanks for the great, fast feedback and the congrats.

Regarding location and use, I am in Portland OR, so esentially sea level. Primarily slalom skiing. I start with both feet in bindings and weigh about 210. Current Sunsetter with Monsoon 325 pops me up fine, but it's pretty much give it full throttle. Guess I am concerned about damaging a Nibral prop on sticks and debris early in the spring. Most of the time we are on the Willamette River which has bunches of debris early and somtimes even in summer.

Thanks for the info on the textured vinyl. Based on this I will stay with textured. Interior will be Moonbeam with Dark Blue trim, so shouldn't be nearly as bad as White for keeping clean.

My guess is also that the boat will be built in Merced. I'll contact the factory, Mike Sanchez.

Welcome to a great site.

Your comments on needing full throttle to get up behind your '98 surprise me a bit. I have the same boat, and although I don't go 210, if anyone tried full throttle to get me up I wouldn't have attached arms anymore. We pull 2 slalom deep starts simultaneously, again without full throttle. Just curious.

Thanks for the additional factory contact person names for pictures.

The full throttle start is likely due to my form or lack of it on the start. On a softer or more gradual pull up I tend to drag real bad and eat lots of water or get too far forward and pulled over the front. On a hard start it's pretty much instant up.

Thanks for the additional factory contact person names for pictures.

The full throttle start is likely due to my form or lack of it on the start. On a softer or more gradual pull up I tend to drag real bad and eat lots of water or get too far forward and pulled over the front. On a hard start it's pretty much instant up.

I know exactly what you mean! ;)

For me it is easier to start full throttle as well, because of balance issues.

And I never felt my arms get ripped of. Maybe with 145 pounds i'm lightweight enough. :lol:

Don't be too worried ordering a Nibral prop.

Ours took lots of logs and floating wood, and sticks. It always sounds catastrophic hitting these crap you'll find in high waters but the prop is very solid and did not show any sign of damage nor I can feel any vibration.

Go for the std ACME CNC prop!

Noone makes a machined SS prop, so it would be cast. I haven't seen anyone mention how much smoother the machined NiBrAl props are, which is huge IMHO.

I would never consider going with anything but a machined prop.

Mike

Noone makes a machined SS prop, so it would be cast. I haven't seen anyone mention how much smoother the machined NiBrAl props are, which is huge IMHO.

I would never consider going with anything but a machined prop.

Mike

I agree, the performance, accuracy, and holeshot difference are un-comparable I'm guessing if you had the nibral prop on your existing boat you wouldn't need the full throttle like you mention. CNC all the way!! Congratulations on the new boat and welcome to the site. :)

Can someone explain the differences between SS and Nibral? I can see them being different but not noticeably. Sounds like it is noticeable but how and why?

SS tends to break while Nibral will bend.

(The difference is in the material itself.)

I tried the spare OJ SS 4 blade that I had from my old RLX just for kicks last year. Lost about 4 to 5 mph and all the PP rpm settings needed to be bumped up about 250 rpm. Other then that there wasn't much difference on how the boat ran.

Can someone explain the differences between SS and Nibral? I can see them being different but not noticeably. Sounds like it is noticeable but how and why?

I'm not an expert by any means and chime in if my numbers are incorrect.... I have several reference texts related to raw material and I looked up the differences in Stainless Steel and Nibral (Nickel, bronze, Aluminum Alloy). I always thought SS was harder and had higher Tensile and Yields than Nibral, but Nibral has a Tensile of 118 ksi and a yield of 75 ksi. I don't have exact numbers for 24-10 SST Alloy stainless used in props, but 400 series stainless in bar form has lower Tensile and Yields.

Bronze and Aluminum are common prop material as well and these two materials have significantly less strength (50% less strength) than the materials above.

People have talked about the strength and efficiencies gained through the use of stainless, but I believe that was based on the comparison to Aluminum or Bronze. By using Nibral (Nickel enhanced Bronze), you gain strength over traditional Bronze as well as gaining the precision of CNC machining versus an "as-cast" surface of the SS.

I believe that is why you see little performance difference between Nibral and SS. Aluminum or Bronze and Stainless is a different story.

Rip....

Actually, Mike isn't taking care of the pictures anymore. Talk to either Ellery or Jorge. They'll set you up with the pictures.

You'll need your PO number too, from your dealer. Jorge's email is Jorge Martinez [[email protected]] - he took my photos and since I don't get the boat until April or so (can't boat on ice) its all I have to look at!!

I just purchased a 2005 RLXI Promo boat. Does anyone know if production pictures would still be available? Do they take pictures of every boat that is produced or just if they are asked during the production process? Thanks!

I just purchased a 2005 RLXI Promo boat. Does anyone know if production pictures would still be available? Do they take pictures of every boat that is produced or just if they are asked during the production process? Thanks!

I don't think so.

They take pictures on demand.

Ask the first owner if he/she "ordered" building pics.

Good luck anyway!