Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

New Instrument Panel

AdeL

Guys

Recently a few of you gave me your words of wisdom when I asked if a Perfect Pass was worth it. Some one also helped me with a panel maker contact. Thank you all. Here is the result:-

I spent approx $2,000 on a new carbon fiber panel made by Marcus at:-

Central Composites

541-280-6704

4628 SW 21st St

Redmond,Oregon,97756

Marcus was very helpful in that he turned this around very fast, I think I had it back in 12 days which included 7 days of shipping time (thanks Marcus). He also questioned one of my design sizes and he was correct, I got a hole size wrong, good catch!.

I also installed a StarGazer Wake Edition, a depth sounder which gives air and lake water temperature readings and a complete set of new gauges which includes a volt meter which my boat never had before. You will notice a blank on the right hand side, that's for future somethings?

Let me know what you think.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/-adel-/6117088650/in/photostream

Looks good.

Marcus just went off your dimensions?

He didn't need to have the boat at his shop?

I drew the layout which included measurements. He needed the old panel to replicate the angles on the Echelon panel. It fitted perfect as did all the new gauges.

Looks good! I love updating an older Bu with the newer features like PP! Nice job! Rockon.gif If your new to PP - you'll love it! Thumbup.gif

Thanks MA, I've had the PP running for about 4 days now and I've got problems. It won't hold speed and the RPM reading is very flaky (check this video out)

I like the look of the old BU's, very sleek, low to the water. Although I'd like a 'V' drive one day.

Thanks MA, I've had the PP running for about 4 days now and I've got problems.

My understanding is that the RPMs are part of the equation that includes the GPS info so no RPM's (or flaky RPM's) = the problem you have.

I'm assuming you've checked the connection at PP. Anyone know if the tach signal comes off the CAN Bus?

Mike

Beautiful job. What depth system did you use?

Looks like it says Faria on the gauge.

My understanding is that the RPMs are part of the equation that includes the GPS info so no RPM's (or flaky RPM's) = the problem you have.

I'm assuming you've checked the connection at PP. Anyone know if the tach signal comes off the CAN Bus?

Mike

CAN bus on the boat? 94 was all wire for wire. Old school.

Check connections for tach, hopefully it resolves both issues like stated above.

And yeah, nice job.

Edited by jk13

I read your post and was ready to have you check the wiring at the tach, but after watching that video it looks like it might be an issue with the PP unit. It's weird how it's totally flakey and then you push a button the the display and it's fine. Push another button and it goes to 0? I would talk to PP and even send them a link to that video after describing that it changes and becomes erratic with button inputs.

Double checking you have a good connection at the tach and the Master module are a good place to start just in case it is a wiring issue, but the timing of the button presses and it acting up seem to perfect.

I read your post and was ready to have you check the wiring at the tach, but after watching that video it looks like it might be an issue with the PP unit. It's weird how it's totally flakey and then you push a button the the display and it's fine. Push another button and it goes to 0? I would talk to PP and even send them a link to that video after describing that it changes and becomes erratic with button inputs.

Double checking you have a good connection at the tach and the Master module are a good place to start just in case it is a wiring issue, but the timing of the button presses and it acting up seem to perfect.

Hi Martin

I made the video for PP to review. I checked the wiring before that video was made. Your correct, looking at the rpm's and the effect a button press has made me think of a firmware issue or a faulty piece of hardware. I spoke with PP today after they watched the video. They suggested that I disconnect the grey PP wire from the grey tacho wire and connect only the black PP wire to the grey tacho wire. I did this and testing on my driveway at no more than 1500rpm the rpm was stable. It has done this before though so it's not a conclusive test. I'l be going out on th elake tomorrow to test further. If this works I think PP thinks noise was interfering with the PP system. looking at the gauge lights this eveninh whilst running at 1500 rpm I could see them flickering, not enough to be an issue to me but it is evidence of noise. I'll let you know how it works out tomorrow evening.

Looks like it says Faria on the gauge.

CAN bus on the boat? 94 was all wire for wire. Old school.

Check connections for tach, hopefully it resolves both issues like stated above.

And yeah, nice job.

Thanks JK13, I'm hopefull that the tacho issue is resolved, I'll find out tomorrow evening. See my response to MartinArcher as to what PP suggested.

Mike

Hi Mike

No can bus on old boats. I can't think of a reason that the RPM and GPS speed would be linked as they serve different functions. One being speed measurement & control and the other rpm measurement and control. Of course there's no way to know unless you have the source code, which I highly doubt PP will share.

Beautiful job. What depth system did you use?

I used the Faria model that includes lake and air temperture. Earlier this year I was on the Mississippi in Wisconsin, in a body of water I thought I knew pretty well. I was towing one of my daughters and a couple of her freinds on a tube when she fell off. As I turned the boat around to get her I saw her stand up, the water was below her knees. That scared the hell out of me as she could of hit rocks, tree stumps or any other piece of junk on the river bed. I got lucky. when I saw she was OK my thoughts then turned to my boat. I could not get this gauge in sooner enough! well worth the $180.

After speaking with PP and testing tonight, the RPM sensing is now working. PP told me to only connect the black PP wire to the grey tacho wire and do nothing withing the grey PP wire. It worked, must be electrical noise.

The PP still does not work 100%. It won't hold speed at 21mph but it will hold rpms that = 21mph. I'll continue to work with PP and keep you guys posted. I'm not a PP advocate just yet, for $1,200 it better work perfectly!

Yeah, he's the guy I used for mine. I was also very happy with the result.

image_url-14611-1305906436.jpg

That guy does some good work. Do you miss your old boat, I think I know the answer, but I had to ask.