Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Oil filter stuck

Tacostik

Sorry for the multiple post my iPhone is being screwy

Have you tried something like this around the lip of the filter...Stupid question but are you turning it the right direction.

http://www.amazon.com/Jaw-Grip-Filter-Wrench-W157/dp/B0002KO0SQ/ref=sr_1_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1315237576&sr=1-1

This should work..

Hope it helps...

Edited by Living the Dream

L t D brings up a good point. Being the filter is mounted up side down, many people turn the wrong way. I use an all metal compressing type strap wrench. I'm guessing working room is a problem too. Put the new filter on hand tight. If it leaks, add an 1/8 of a turn.

Edited by electricjohn

After trying everyithing, I found the perfect tool at Walmart. It's shaped like the filter, goes on the bottom and has a square insert in it that accepts a 3/8" socket wrench. Came right off. You'll laugh at how easy it makes it.

http://www.walmart.com/search/search-ng.do?search_constraint=91083&ic=48_0&Find.x=0&Find.y=0&Find=Find&_ta=1&search_query=oil%20filter%20wrench&_tt=oil filter w

I got the Fram FM102 or 105. either way, best $6.00 ever spent.

Steve B.

Oil filter is stuck on like grim death. Tried wrench tried screwdriver. Nothing!!! Anyone have any ideas. Vdrive 340 monsoon

What type of wrench are you using?

I came to the realization that I was turning the filter the wrong way for a bit. I was using a grip wrench but couldn't squeeze it in to turn the right direction, so I made the mistake of stabbing a screwdriver into it. I finally went to Walmart and got a different type of wrench. But now the filter is starting to collapse and thus I can't turn it. I was thinking something like a pipe wrench would just grab the whole damn thing. Am I on the right track or should I just cut my losses and go to the dealer?

put the jaws type pliers I showed above around the lip or Rim of the filter right where it screws in to the filter mount....and take a deep breath and turn like heck....You can do it...dont use the Jaws around the body you will crush the filter focus on the LIP of the filter use the pressure there.

Good luck!! We all have faith that you can do it :thumbup: :thumbup:

Remember righty tighty and lefty loosie

Edited by Living the Dream

I had the same problem the first time I took my filter off after buying the boat. The screwdriver just tears up the filter. The metal isn't strong enough to take the torque. Especially as stubborn as mine was. I just used a giant pair of channel locks and kept working at the base of it (at the top technically, since it's upside down). After about two hours of grunting and cussing it finally came off. If you read the directions for replacing the filter in the manual it says hand tighten until tight, then another 1/4 to 1/2 turn and that's it. It doesn't have to be torqued down. I wish whoever changed mine last before I bought it had read that.

Once the filter starts to collapse it can be a female dog to get off. I've had luck in the past using a chain wrench.

post-45-053180400 1315248934_thumb.jpg

Good luck. Oh, and once you get the chain wrench on and adjusted tight...hit it with your purse, Sally.

:lol: Couldn't resist. ;)

Oil filter is stuck on like grim death. Tried wrench tried screwdriver. Nothing!!! Anyone have any ideas. Vdrive 340 monsoon

My dealer did this to me for the 20 hr service, they must have wrenched it on as tight as possible. At 64 hrs I did my oil own change, and I shredded the filter trying to get it off. I finally ended up purchasing a very good filter wrench from autozone, placing it as high up as possible on the neck of the filter and was able to break it free. Sometimes you need a very good filter wrench, If you still cant break it free you can remove the filter assembly from the boat and bring it to the workbench. The bloody knuckles added to victory! It took me about 1.5 hours by the time I went down and purchased a new wrench.

I could not figure why they put it on so tight, all you need it hand tight and a little but more with the filter wrench. My next oil change it came right off with no problem, same filter type.

Trust me, I feel your pain. During my first filter change with this boat I tried everything - strap wrenches, pliers, screw driver, the "socket" type that fits on the end of the wrench, etc. It wouldn't move. Using google, I found other owners had the same issues. One Supra owner documented how he had the filter completely torn apart, just exposing the base ring where it threads to the block. He had fabricated a tool that fit into the holes on that base ring and was finally able to get the filter removed. I thought I was headed down that same path when I finally gave up and took it to Jiffy Lube. A couple of their guys crawled in the and beat on it for about 20 minutes before they finally got it off.

You all can laugh all you want that I took it to Jiffy Lube, but I was convinced at that point it wasn't coming off in my driveway :crazy:. I had spent the better part of two days trying to get it off, with multiple trips to the auto parts store to keep buying more tools to try. What a pain!

On my first oil change my oil filter was completely stuck on there. I had a top of the line NAPA oil filter wrench along with my biggest screwdriver and a buddy and we finally got that mangled oil filter off. For me it took a combination...two people, one on the screwdriver and one on the wrench. Still ended up bending the wrench.

I've never had a problem again since I started doing my oil changes.

On my first oil change my oil filter was completely stuck on there. I had a top of the line NAPA oil filter wrench along with my biggest screwdriver and a buddy and we finally got that mangled oil filter off. For me it took a combination...two people, one on the screwdriver and one on the wrench. Still ended up bending the wrench.

I shudder to think how you got 2 guys in the rear locker at once :biggrin:

So we had myself, the brother in law, and a buddy on it for an hour until we gave up. Labor day went from a day on the boat to drinking at the house, but some nasty weather rolled in, so our water time wouldve been short anyways. I think I can break it free once I borrow some tools from my dad, but I am definitely cursing the prior owner and myself for the wasted hours on a holiday weekend. I'll post some pics this week so you guys can laugh at how mangled the filter is. Thanks for the help everyone, glad to know I'm not alone.

Exactly. Started doing my own, and I don't even need a wrench now.

I had the same issue with mine the other day. Whomever changed it before put it on tight enough that I was worried about getting it off. I had it torn to crap after I resorted to the screwdriver stabbing. I've never had to use a wrench on my own oil filters.

I wonder if dudes are not putting a film of oil on the rubber ring on the filter when going on?

Didn't want to let this pearl get by without being mentioned twice. Most of the guys with oil filters from hell probably were not actually put on that tight, but were not put on with a film of oil on the seal. Then the seal bonds to the engine and the experiences noted above start to come into play.

My first oil change on my previous boat resulted in a carpet burn on my right forearm that scarred pretty nicely. Thanks to the genius who put the oil filter in a next to impossible to reach location near the bottom of the 8.1 L engine. I have a couple of different oil change tools now.

I finally used this and have had good success.

648659.jpg

Edited by TallRedRider

Didn't want to let this pearl get by without being mentioned twice. Most of the guys with oil filters from hell probably were not actually put on that tight, but were not put on with a film of oil on the seal. Then the seal bonds to the engine and the experiences noted above start to come into play.

My first oil change on my previous boat resulted in a carpet burn on my right forearm that scarred pretty nicely. Thanks to the genius who put the oil filter in a next to impossible to reach location near the bottom of the 8.1 L engine. I have a couple of different oil change tools now.

I finally used this and have had good success.

648659.jpg

get a filter relocation kit from your dealer or indmar.