Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Suggest me a decent anchor

Nitrousbird

The water in Ohio is muddy and not nice - we know it - we deal with it - we envy anyone in water that isn't brown.

I've never bought an anchor before. My last boat (17' I/O) came with a coated anchor that held pretty well and I was happy with it. My dumbass should have swapped it with the one that came in my Sunsetter (which is basically the cheapest POS you can possibly purchase).

The bottoms of our lakes and reseivors are all mud...mud, mud, and more mud. You might snag a loose tree branch or twig here and there. As such, I want a anchor that works well in that environment. Last time out it was really windy and the current anchor didn't hold for anything. Suggestions?

The water in Ohio is muddy and not nice - we know it - we deal with it - we envy anyone in water that isn't brown.

I've never bought an anchor before. My last boat (17' I/O) came with a coated anchor that held pretty well and I was happy with it. My dumbass should have swapped it with the one that came in my Sunsetter (which is basically the cheapest POS you can possibly purchase).

The bottoms of our lakes and reseivors are all mud...mud, mud, and more mud. You might snag a loose tree branch or twig here and there. As such, I want a anchor that works well in that environment. Last time out it was really windy and the current anchor didn't hold for anything. Suggestions?

http://www.slideanchor.com/Hlm_ShopIT_ProductDetails.aspx?ID=024a8189-c4ba-41dc-9a41-c5e749bb8688

Hands down the best anchor I have ever used.

Couldn't agree more. I love mine. It held our whole floatilla in place during the WOW this weekend. Scotty dubbed it the "man killer". LOL.gif I call it the "bear trap", but whatever you call it, it does not let go of the muddy bottoms of the lakes in our area. It also is not too bad to retrieve once your directly above it. It certainly holds tight!

med_gallery_7666_71_85006.jpg

med_gallery_7666_71_58833.jpg

I had someone at a local West Marine tell me that they didn't stock box anchors because they don't work well on our lake bottom. Could this be accurate, or were they just trying to sell me what they did have in stock?

I had someone at a local West Marine tell me that they didn't stock box anchors because they don't work well on our lake bottom. Could this be accurate, or were they just trying to sell me what they did have in stock?

Look around on this site, you won't find a single gripe about the box anchor.

Edited by Bozboat

My local W. Marine stocks them.

I guess the only thing a box anchor couldn't bite would be a super smooth, flat, rock bottom. But, then, I don't think anything would grab.

My local W. Marine stocks them.

I guess the only thing a box anchor couldn't bite would be a super smooth, flat, rock bottom. But, then, I don't think anything would grab.

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=46725&catalogId=10001&langId=-1&storeId=11151&storeNum=10105&subdeptNum=10372&classNum=10420

I would still buy from Paul at Bakesonline.com since he supports the Crew website and has AMAZING customer service. Support your friends :rockon:

I live in California and his shop is in Washington...no problem shipping is cheap.

:clap:

Homemade box anchor, 5 foot of chain and the anchor buddy. I only use the chain, to keep the anchor buddy from chaffing on debris on the lake bottom. Plus it helps keep mud and sand out of the fiber to the line.

I have the box anchor and I'm a fan overall. The only time it hasn't held so far is when it lands on top of a submerged branch structure. This is the only downside to the box (slide) anchor I've found yet, but I'm very satisfied with it. I have an evolution cover on the way but Cory has had a heck of a time making it ;) When it gets here I'm sure I'll be very happy with it :)

I don't use chain it really isn't necessary.

Straight from the TN Boaters Safety Handbook:

Attach 7-8 feet of galvanized chain to the anchor. The chain aids in setting the anchor by lowering the angle of the pull as the chain sinks and lies on the bottom. It also will help prevent abrasion of the anchor line from sand or rock on the bottom. Most anchors grip by digging into the bottom when the line is pulled horizontally. Any upward pull may break the anchor loose.

Straight from the TN Boaters Safety Handbook:

Attach 7-8 feet of galvanized chain to the anchor. The chain aids in setting the anchor by lowering the angle of the pull as the chain sinks and lies on the bottom. It also will help prevent abrasion of the anchor line from sand or rock on the bottom. Most anchors grip by digging into the bottom when the line is pulled horizontally. Any upward pull may break the anchor loose.

yea, most anchors "should" have a chain on it, but the box doesn't need it since it already has a piece of steel rod connected. plus, the box is designed differently and has a 2 to 1 scope. I was very impressed the first time I used mine.

OK, I have to ask: If the small box anchor was capable of holding MA's 8-boat grouping (granted, the conditions look relatively calm), shouldn't the baby anchor be able to handle a single boat with no trouble, while being a smaller size for easier storage? Does anyone use the baby instead of the small?