Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Wake shape vs weight / ballast placement

wakeboarder3780

It was my understanding that weight in the back of the boat created more lip.

I only put weight in the front when I have trouble planing or the wake in the back is crushing or rolling over - does it do something specifically to the shape of the wake?

Now lets talk about what happened to me last night. I had all stock tanks full plus about 400lbs extra in each rear locker, just 3 guys so small crew. It was a little choppy, and only wanted to do some big HS jumps so I was trying to get the starboard side wake big and lipped (since I'm a regular rider).

I noticed that the port side wake was actually lipped more than the starboard, so I told them to add more weight to the starboard locker. As we did this the PORT side wake got more and more lipped while the starboard side got less lipped. We even filled until the starboard bag was full - that's 750 lbs over the top of stock. The port side still had roughly 400. Yet the starboard wake was not bigger or lipped out so I was very frustrated (and by this time the port side was washing out from lack of weight).

Can anyone tell me what the heck was going on? I thought the more weight on that side the more lipped it got? Is this backwards?

Edited by wakeboarder3780

You were filling the wrong side. To get the lip you want you have to add weight to the oppsite side, Or to smooth out a wake that is washing over you add weight to that side.

ok I just wanted to verify with someone else, thanks. Also, what is adding weight to the nose supposed to do with the shape of the wake? Just make it shorter and more mellow? Basically increase the size of the transition?

ok I just wanted to verify with someone else, thanks. Also, what is adding weight to the nose supposed to do with the shape of the wake? Just make it shorter and more mellow? Basically increase the size of the transition?

If you add weight only to the nose it will flatten the wake making if fatter and more meaty, less lip. However if you are having trouble getting on plane or the wake is washing out at the rope length you like you will need to add weight up front. Once you find the ballace for your boat adding weight to the back will necessitate an increase in the front as well to offset the ballace change. 60/40 is a good place to start, some guys on here are going as much as 70/30 on distrabution but again once you find the ballace you like to add weight it will have to be in the front as well as the back. All this assumes no speed changes, that will affect the wake size shape and lenth as well.

Cheers man, thanks. Confirmed everything I knew, and taught me something new :) It's a shame I wasted a day because I didnt realize of you want one side more lipped you weight the opposite side. Won't make that mistake again. Starting to get fall weather here, the season's end is around the corner. Soon i'll be in my wetsuit.

Cheers man, thanks. Confirmed everything I knew, and taught me something new :) It's a shame I wasted a day because I didnt realize of you want one side more lipped you weight the opposite side. Won't make that mistake again. Starting to get fall weather here, the season's end is around the corner. Soon i'll be in my wetsuit.

You can really see the effects of weight by setting a speed and having your crew move around in the boat while crusing. (wedge up and ballast empty) This is also a good way to teach your crew how to ballance your wake for you while you are ridding. We have mostly teens as a crew and they are real good at ballancing left to right. Sometimes they will move as little as 6" to clean up a wake.

Have fun our summer is a bit longer in the south, we will probably be ridding until around mid november (shorties when necessary)

Have fun our summer is a bit longer in the south, we will probably be ridding until around mid november (shorties when necessary)

You lucky ducks. I ride into november but I have to wear a dry suit. The ice usually forms sometime in november and then Im done. Thanks for the help again :)