Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

How long should a replacement steering cable last?

I replaced by steering cable two years ago when my steering became VERY stiff. I purchased the cable from Discount Inboard Marine (www.skidim.com), but I can't remember brand or price that I paid, but I don't really remember many options when ordering. Now it seems my cable needs to be replaced again. I know it's not the rudder assembly seeing as I frequently and regularly inspect and grease it. Also, when I first installed the cable it was smooth as butter, but have progressively became stiffer and stiffer mainly this year.

So, my question is how long should a replacement cable last? Two years seems on the short side to me... :(

I replaced by steering cable two years ago when my steering became VERY stiff. I purchased the cable from Discount Inboard Marine (www.skidim.com), but I can't remember brand or price that I paid, but I don't really remember many options when ordering. Now it seems my cable needs to be replaced again. I know it's not the rudder assembly seeing as I frequently and regularly inspect and grease it. Also, when I first installed the cable it was smooth as butter, but have progressively became stiffer and stiffer mainly this year.

So, my question is how long should a replacement cable last? Two years seems on the short side to me... :(

Has the bilge filled up with water since the installation. I replaced mine about 4 years ago and it is still like new but I am very careful now not to drown the bilge in water. 2 years is too short of a time again...I think look for the problem??

Has the bilge filled up with water since the installation. I replaced mine about 4 years ago and it is still like new but I am very careful now not to drown the bilge in water. 2 years is too short of a time again...I think look for the problem??

Hmmm, my boat spends the majorly of it's life covered up in my driveway and also my bilge pump works just as it should. I'll look around when I get a chance this week

Hmmm, my boat spends the majorly of it's life covered up in my driveway and also my bilge pump works just as it should. I'll look around when I get a chance this week

with the plug out?

with the plug out?

Not usually. I do not have one of those t-handle plugs so I have to grab a wrench whenever I want to take it out. Is this something I should be doing? I thought it would be enough to leave the bilge pump on auto?

Not usually. I do not have one of those t-handle plugs so I have to grab a wrench whenever I want to take it out. Is this something I should be doing? I thought it would be enough to leave the bilge pump on auto?

absolutely not. Bilge pump will not remove all water, and in fact, leaves a substantial amount. IF your bilge isn't dry you are getting daily condensation on the cable which could be speeding this up. Are you also cracking engine hatch? IF not, that will also speed it up. Always pull the plug and leave hatch open a few inches to allow bilge to stay as dry as possible. If your plug is hard to remove, lubricate threads with motor oil and you don't have to tighten that tight. No water is going to come in so long as it's in place.

As 85 Barefoot said plug out... You may not see much water in the bilge but if you lift the front you may get enough water in the bilge to seep into the cable.

The boat should be bow high (just a little is enough) with the transom plug out or level with the mid-ship plug out. If the boat was sitting with the bow high and the plugs in then water in the bilge would submerge the steering cable well before the bilge pump would turn on. Once you submerge it...it's only a matter of time.

Well that's good to know I guess. I'll start pulling both plugs as well as leaving the motor box cracked to let things dry out. Thanks for all the responses.

one other tip when you replace your steering cable. after you've run it thru the tunnel hull, lubricate the chrome shaft with anti-seize lubricant, and don't be shy with it.

turn the wheel to fully expose the shaft, lube it, then work it back and forth to get the anti-sieze inside the cable. this should help with any condensation issues and will extend the life of your cable. cables on average last from 7 to 9 years

I also keep my wheel turned full left to have none of the cable exposed while sitting/stored. This should minimize moisture getting on the inner cable workings. I have heard that the newer cables are not as robust as older ones.

Great, thanks for the tips. Although it won't take long to switch out, I'd like to avoid spending $200 again after I replace the cable again.

The boat should be bow high (just a little is enough) with the transom plug out or level with the mid-ship plug out. If the boat was sitting with the bow high and the plugs in then water in the bilge would submerge the steering cable well before the bilge pump would turn on. Once you submerge it...it's only a matter of time.

I would need to park mine on a 45 degree angle to get the water to run out the drain plug. I always wet vac it out.

I would need to park mine on a 45 degree angle to get the water to run out the drain plug. I always wet vac it out.

Well the OP has a Sportster LX and I have some experience with that model. You, on the other hand, have one of those silly, motor-in-backwards, V-Drive things... :Tease3: ...you're on your own. :lol:

To the OP - Buy your cable from BoatFix.com and it won't cost you $200.00.

Well the OP has a Sportster LX and I have some experience with that model. You, on the other hand, have one of those silly, motor-in-backwards, V-Drive things... :Tease3: ...you're on your own. :lol:

Awesome! Thank you! :clap::yahoo::thumbup::rockon:

Awesome! Thank you! :clap::yahoo::thumbup::rockon:

• 6 months later...