Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Added second bilge pump to inspection hole in middle of boat

Fman

Since I have owned the boat this year, I have never been a fan of where Malibu put the Bilge pump in the rear transom area under the motor. It is mounted so high up off to the side of the bilge area it rarely actually pumps water out of the bilge area. I decided to add a second bilge pump where the inspection cover is in the center of the boat. My last boat had two pumps and I really liked having two of them, and this spot seems to be where water accumulates and the bilge will pick it up.

My question is I have the base mount installed with some waterproof adhesive but not screwed down, I am a little hesitant about screwing anything in the bottom of the boat. Has anyone used very short screws to install the bigle pump base? I am pretty sure the adhesive will hold it, but it would be nice to have a couple screws in place. My biggest fear is drilling through the bottom of the boat, not sure how thick the gelcoat is down in this area of boat.

Any information appreciated, thanks....

Bilge1_reduced.jpg

Bilge2_reduced.jpg

Edited by Fman

well using the rear hull drain plug as a guide, the hull is betweem 1/2" - 3/4" thick. if you used some stainless small self tapping pan screws I'd think you'd be fine. I'd still pre-drill tiny pilot hole to garuantee you dont loose 2-3 twists before the screw grabs...you want it to grab immediately with such a short length of screw available.

I would not use screws at all, the bottom is only about 3/8" thick. I just drilled a hole for additional ballast pumps. I would use and adhesive tape, or zip strip it in place using the existing pump hardware or a bracket screwed to the side panels.

• Like 1

I used epoxy and its held tight for 4 years

I t ed into the center drain line

And ran my own power to it

I did something similar for mounting, figure if it breaks free I will re-evaluate.... I tied into the existing rear pump electrical, now both bilge pumps come on when I turn on the switch. I also wanted the auto-bilge warning feature to be tied into both pumps. I did increase the fuse from 10 to 15 amps, together they draw about 8-9 amps, so I figured the 10 amp was cutting it a little close.

If you ever did run into a leakage problem, some peace of mind to have two pumps rather than one... especially if you moore your boat up.

Edited by Fman
  • 1 year later...

Since I have owned the boat this year, I have never been a fan of where Malibu put the Bilge pump in the rear transom area under the motor. It is mounted so high up off to the side of the bilge area it rarely actually pumps water out of the bilge area. I decided to add a second bilge pump where the inspection cover is in the center of the boat. My last boat had two pumps and I really liked having two of them, and this spot seems to be where water accumulates and the bilge will pick it up.

My question is I have the base mount installed with some waterproof adhesive but not screwed down, I am a little hesitant about screwing anything in the bottom of the boat. Has anyone used very short screws to install the bigle pump base? I am pretty sure the adhesive will hold it, but it would be nice to have a couple screws in place. My biggest fear is drilling through the bottom of the boat, not sure how thick the gelcoat is down in this area of boat.

Any information appreciated, thanks....

Bilge1_reduced.jpg

Bilge2_reduced.jpg

Just purchased my 3rd Malibu. The newest addition is a 06 wakesetter 23LSV. I was perusing the forum for any problem with this model. I noticed the bilge pump wasnt located in the best spot. As a result, I moved it forward 8 from its original position (its now under the oil pan). I elected to utilize the existing stainless screws instead of epoxying it. This was a little scary because I had to pre-drill holes into the hull. I measured the depth of the old existing holes and set the drill at that depth. I used a right angle die grinder and a spin-n-drive drill set to accomplish this task. Ill see how it works the next time out.

photo2_zpsf4ebb5c6.jpg

photo1_zpsc9088418.jpg

photo4_zpsa6059cec.jpg

The red screw driver is the location of the old existing holes. And the pump is mounted in the new location under the oil pan. PS what does this guy represent :plus1:

Edited by LUV2SKI

you can always epoxy studs to the floor and use those to bolt it down, that way it is removable. But I wouldn't drill into the bottom of my boat.

you can always epoxy studs to the floor and use those to bolt it down, that way it is removable. But I wouldn't drill into the bottom of my boat.

Falko, That kinda defeats the purpose of moving the bilge pump to the lowest point in the hull. I'm trying to prevent 5" of water from building up before the bilge kicks on. :surfing:

• 1 month later...

I used epoxy and its held tight for 4 years

I t ed into the center drain line

And ran my own power to it

Where did you run the power to? Is there an easy path direct to the battery?

• 1 month later...

I added a second pump as well. I powered it from the stereo battery though. I just used clear silicone to adhere it to the bilge plus I added its own manual switch under the rear middle seat.

I had a SLXI that developed a severe HDS leak while in a slip overnight in Shasta.... Killed the single battery in that boat...

I also added a ballast pump to my Ice chest which would work STELLAR if the chest was sloped a little.. Raising the bow on the trailer does not quite drain it all. loses prime easily.