Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

High Pitch Screech in 12 O'clock throttle Idle position

I have a 2006 Sunsetter with a 320 Indomar engine. Lately when I go to idle I am getting a high pitched screeching sound when the throttle is in the 12 o'clock position. If I nudge the throttle it will stop. I am able to idle in the 11:58 throttle position with no high pitch screeching sound. Anyone with any thoughts. I previously had no issues idling in the 12 o'clock position. I am not mechanically inclined, so if anyone has any ideas I would be much appreciated.

Thank You

Sounds like the alternator belt to me (there is no fan). I had a similar issue; at low RPM my belt would chirp. I tightened the belt and the noise went away.

Check the condition of your belt and tighten as necessary. Just loosen the top bolt on the alternator and use a lever wedged between the alternator and engine to gain a little leverage and re-tighten the belt. I used a wooden hammer handle but anything will do. Don't over-tighten the belt as it will add stress to the bearings. Just tight enough to get rid of the noise.

• 2 weeks later...

Sounds like the alternator belt to me (there is no fan). I had a similar issue; at low RPM my belt would chirp. I tightened the belt and the noise went away.

Check the condition of your belt and tighten as necessary. Just loosen the top bolt on the alternator and use a lever wedged between the alternator and engine to gain a little leverage and re-tighten the belt. I used a wooden hammer handle but anything will do. Don't over-tighten the belt as it will add stress to the bearings. Just tight enough to get rid of the noise.