Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Replacing Distributor Cap, Rotor, Plugs and Wires?

It's about time to replace the distributor cap, rotor, plugs and wires on my 2001 5.7L Indmar (310HP). I've found all the parts I need online but wanted to know if anyone had experience or a procedure that would make my chances of screwing this up less likely. Thanks in advance.

Replace only one wire at a time.

furthermore, the OEM ones they sell through skidim are now red. (vs the blue that likely came with your boat). So changing them one at a time is even more obvious (and they are numbered).

Edited by flapjack
martinarcher

Just take your time and you'll be fine. Remove the distributor cap leaving the wires on. I usually slide it forward with the wires and just lay it in front of the distributor so it's out of my way.

Remove the old rotor and replace it with the new one. They are keyed so the new one should only go on the way the old one comes off. After the new rotor goes on, put the new distributor cap on the distributor cap and clamp it down.

Now you can put a new wire on the distributor and put the other and on the plug that was connected to the same contact on the old distributor.

That's how I do it, but I'm sure there are many ways to do it. Have fun! It's money well spent. Thumbup.gif

Use dielectric grease on the spark plug wire boots so its easy to take them on and off next time you need to (they tend to stick really bad after they've been on there for a little while)

One suggestion, replace the wires first one by one, then install the new cap & rotor (leaving the new wires attached to the new cap then move them over one by one so you don't mess up the firing order. Just in case you need it, here it is 1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2

Hope this helps!

-Paul

Many thanks to everyone who replied. I feel much more confident heading into this project this weekend. Lot's of corrosion inside the distributor cap when I looked this morning so I'm hoping this might improve the rough first start I'm experiencing when I first back down the ramp on Saturday mornings.