Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

ENG ECU NO DATA for 25SECS

Hey Everyone, I have just bought a 2006 Malibu Wakesetter 247 and it seems I may have bought somebody's problem... My maiden voyage ended up with a tow from the sea rescue so not off to a good start :(

The Problem is when I put it to full throttle it comes up with the error on the display "ENG ECU NO DATA FOR 25 SECS". also the hour meter goes to 0, and all the LCD instrument readings on the Tacho go to 0. It actually runs fine until I put it full throttle and was wondering if anyone else has had this same problem. After the First time it did it and I had the boat back home and cleaned it all of a sudden everything started to work again (hour meter back to the right point and all gauges working) So it made it hard to fault find when there was no apparent fault. I have read every post on this site about the issue and checked the following points.

- Checked Batter Terminals (all were tight and not corroded)

- Checked Alternator Terminals (were loose so ended up re making off with the right size lugs)

- Checked Lanyard switch for corrosion (all looked ok)

- Checked all plug connections for moisture and sprayed out with CRC 226

So today I took it out again today and the same thing happened. Only this time I was trying to get it to fault again by putting it to full and was close enough to the boat ramp to tow it back on my surfboard. It still hasn't come back on yet so I'm desperate for ideas.

I understand that the main computer communicates with the ECU that is located on the Motor Via Can Bus comms? I was just wondering if you need a terminating resister at the end of the link for it to work. I am a sparky by trade and deal with many comms systems like Devicenet and Ethernet but have found it hard to suss out how it all works with out the drawing / schematic to look at. Let alone the fact this is the first boat I have ever owned and have no idea what I'm looking at :) I downloaded a wiring diagram but not sure if its the right one for the Hammerhead 383.

Does anyone with the same boat know the following:

Is there a Fuse box on the boat and if so what does it look like and where is it located? (have looked in every spot but still cant find it.)

Is the main computer the one just under the dash and which wires are the comms signal wires to the ECU on the motor?

Has there been any reports of bad sections of wiring harnesses that I should replace?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Kind Regards

Rhys

have you checked connections at the ecm and not just at mmdc (the box under dash)?

Yes I pulled the 3 plugs off the ECM and checked wiring and sprayed out... still no luck. Im thinking it may be something to do with the Throttle potentiometer as it only happened when I went to wide open throttle. I read that if the if the signal goes outside its min and max values it also faults the ECM...