Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

95 EFI Sunsetter engine cutting out

Hey there, I've been lurking around here but haven't posted yet. I picked up a 95 Sunsetter with the 350 Merc EFI this summer. I've put about 50 trouble free hours on it except for today. Today we surfed for about three hours with no problems, however after we emptied the sacs and went to take off, the boat died. No stuttering or anything, just cut off like I turned the key off. After a few tries of starting she fired back up again, we took off, then died again, that happened twice. I did manage to get it started again and we cruised back to the marina (running great the whole time)and got her on the trailer. It did die while powering up on the trailer and took a few times to start as well.

I haven't had time to really diagnos as the ramp was busy and I needed to get the boat out. There isn't a safety lanyard, so we can eliminate that problem. It was pretty hot today for Utah maybe 90 degrees. When the boat dies, Perfect Pass still stays on as well, so I know I'm not losing complete power. Alternator, fuel pump relay, vapor lock?

Thanks for any suggestions!

Jay

Edited by parkcityxj

Hey there, I've been lurking around here but haven't posted yet. I picked up a 95 Sunsetter with the 350 Merc EFI this summer. I've put about 50 trouble free hours on it except for today. Today we surfed for about three hours with no problems, however after we emptied the sacs and went to take off, the boat died. No stuttering or anything, just cut off like I turned the key off. After a few tries of starting she fired back up again, we took off, then died again, that happened twice. I did manage to get it started again and we cruised back to the marina (running great the whole time)and got her on the trailer. It did die while powering up on the trailer and took a few times to start as well.

I haven't had time to really diagnos as the ramp was busy and I needed to get the boat out. There isn't a safety lanyard, so we can eliminate that problem. It was pretty hot today for Utah maybe 90 degrees. When the boat dies, Perfect Pass still stays on as well, so I know I'm not losing complete power. Alternator, fuel pump relay, vapor lock?

Thanks for any suggestions!

Jay

I have a 94 Echelon and had a very similar situation. You cansee it in my post. Long story short, I replaced the ignition coil. I have put over ten hours on it since the replacement and have had no issues. I bought it at Autozone for $20. Good investment.

I have a 94 Echelon and had a very similar situation. You cansee it in my post. Long story short, I replaced the ignition coil. I have put over ten hours on it since the replacement and have had no issues. I bought it at Autozone for $20. Good investment.

By the way, I had Auto Zone look up an ignition coil for a 94 chevrolet pickup 350. It is the same coil put on cars. Easy to replace. Good Luck.

Thanks for the reply. The more research I've done it is leading me a possible coil problem. When we were surfing I was sitting in back corner while giving my wife driving tips and the exhaust was smelling very rich prior to the issues. I found the manual online (Mercruiser Service Manual #17 GM V8 305 and 350 cid (5.0L 93-95) 1993 - 1997) and plan on doing some tests. We'll see what happens.

Thanks for the reply. The more research I've done it is leading me a possible coil problem. When we were surfing I was sitting in back corner while giving my wife driving tips and the exhaust was smelling very rich prior to the issues. I found the manual online (Mercruiser Service Manual #17 GM V8 305 and 350 cid (5.0L 93-95) 1993 - 1997) and plan on doing some tests. We'll see what happens.

Is your boat a TBI? If so it may be a That the float in the VST is sticking.

Is your boat a TBI? If so it may be a That the float in the VST is sticking.

It's MPI.

The distributor cap was the gnarliest looking one I've ever seen, corroded beyond belief! I replaced the cap, rotor and ignition coil. I hope to get it out the next day or so to see how it runs. I'll give an update. Thanks for the replies.