Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

stock wakesetter ballast questions

OneMoreSet

I'm starting to do some research on my next boat and hoped you could help. I'm likely looking at a '02-04 year range wakesetter/sunscape, or even the '05+.

I've tried to piece info together from searches but its pretty tough to get the big picture, so was hoping you could help.

What kinds of ballast configurations came stock on the wakesetter/sunscape boats

-which models came stock with ballast (only VLX, not base or sunscape?)

-were there different models (rears only, belly only, both) and types (hard tank, bags, underfloor), and different weights

-major year changes in generations to ballast systems

-any differences on the vride vs vlx?

-what kind of pumps/switches/valves were used for the different generations

-any major issues with each of the generations

-what are people adding in addition to stock, or upgrading from no ballast

Thanks!

I'm starting to do some research on my next boat and hoped you could help. I'm likely looking at a '02-04 year range wakesetter/sunscape, or even the '05+.

I've tried to piece info together from searches but its pretty tough to get the big picture, so was hoping you could help.

What kinds of ballast configurations came stock on the wakesetter/sunscape boats

-which models came stock with ballast (only VLX, not base or sunscape?)

-were there different models (rears only, belly only, both) and types (hard tank, bags, underfloor), and different weights

-major year changes in generations to ballast systems

-any differences on the vride vs vlx?

-what kind of pumps/switches/valves were used for the different generations

-any major issues with each of the generations

-what are people adding in addition to stock, or upgrading from no ballast

Thanks!

I can answer a few but not all questions:

04 and less VLX ballast was above floor in the rear (lockers) and sub floor in the midship. Those same boats became the vrides 05-08ish with no change to the ballast config. Many people took out the rear tanks and replaced them with ballast bags that hold a lot more weight. All ballast uses pumps with through holes in the bottom of the boat.

05+ VLX ballast was all sub-floor. People are still adding sacks in the lockers especially for surfing.

Not too sure on the sunsetters.

Run a search and you will likely find a bunch more info.

Hey, thanks for the info, that helps me out.

From what it seems the malibu ballast systems use aerator type pumps - is that correct?

What type of valves are used to control the pumps from the switches to prevent water leaking in/out.

I take it that the above floor balast tanks (pre2005 vlx) were hard tanks not soft bags.

Cheers

I can answer a few but not all questions:

04 and less VLX ballast was above floor in the rear (lockers) and sub floor in the midship. Those same boats became the vrides 05-08ish with no change to the ballast config. Many people took out the rear tanks and replaced them with ballast bags that hold a lot more weight. All ballast uses pumps with through holes in the bottom of the boat.

05+ VLX ballast was all sub-floor. People are still adding sacks in the lockers especially for surfing.

Not too sure on the sunsetters.

Run a search and you will likely find a bunch more info.

Hey, thanks for the info, that helps me out.

From what it seems the malibu ballast systems use aerator type pumps - is that correct?

What type of valves are used to control the pumps from the switches to prevent water leaking in/out.

I take it that the above floor balast tanks (pre2005 vlx) were hard tanks not soft bags.

Cheers

Yes, they use aerator pumps. Stocks are 800 GPH.

They don't use valves to stop water leakage. They put a large loop in the tubing to stop the siphoning affect. Some people have problems with this and need to install an anti siphon part, but I think that's pretty rare.

Pre 2005 was above floor hard tanks.

What is your price range? Where are you located? Many of us on here keep a good eye out for boats for sale.