Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

best wakeboard?

dutchtouch

Hey all,

looking at getting a "one size fits all" wakeboard. No one in my family has wakeboarded before. any recommendation for the best beginner board to get. Budget is a consideration as I got to do this on a high school teacher salary ;) thanks for the help

Hey all,

looking at getting a "one size fits all" wakeboard. No one in my family has wakeboarded before. any recommendation for the best beginner board to get. Budget is a consideration as I got to do this on a high school teacher salary ;) thanks for the help

Okay, the bad news is that it's almost impossible to have a "one size fits all" wakeboard unless 1) everyone in your family weighs

within a fairly narrow range, and 2) they all happen to have nearly identical foot sizes.

My wife and I started out on the same board (I was about 30 lbs. heavier than her at the time), but we still needed to have

two different sets of bindings. It was a PITA changing the bindings back and forth, but it allowed us to put off buying another

board for a while, long enough for her to figure out that she didn't need/want one. Eventually, her bindings became my daughter's

bindings, so it worked out okay.

Both of my kids started out on a cheapie wakeboard-package board (board and bindings included) from Overton's.

Your best bet may be to find some place where they allow you to demo a board. In my area, they typically charge

about $20 or so for a day, but they will subtract the cost of the demo from the price of the board if you purchase from them.

Edited by srab

Here's what we do.

I have the biggest feet at a whopping size 10, and I'm the heaviest at 170lbs. Not sure what size my wife's feet are, but she is 3" shorter than me, so pretty comparable I guess, but way lighter. The kids started on that big old board when they were 7 and 8. They are now 11 and 12 and still use it, but probably not for long as they are growing like weeds. The 5 year old daughter uses it too.

So, size the boots so that they fit the biggest foot. Smaller feet with have more wiggle room, but if you are just learning, it will be fine for learning. Again....my 5 year old daughter uses my board. It's enough to get up and have fun with for her, without costing a dime. My boots are open toe, lace-up (Hyperlite Spin) boots

So the next question is which board do you get? Stick with a good brand name: Hyperlite, Ronix, CWB, Liquid Force, etc. Go with a board rated for the heaviest person, and the rest will be fine with it.

I would just check online, Craigslist, or something similar and get a used board & boots combo. If someone gets really into it, you'll have had a chance to learn about the sport and can make an informed decision on new or better equipment.

Good advice in these other posts...

The most important thing I would reiterate is to buy a used wakeboard first. On any given day I can go to our local Craigslist and find a dozen or so "gently used" boards for 50% of the cost of a new set up.

IMHO, I would recommend looking for something within the past 3 - 4 years from one of the major companies - Hyperlite, Liquid Force, CWB, Ronix. That way you will be guaranteed quality. Buy one that fits your biggest rider. Everyone can use it. Since nobody's riding pro yet, you'll be fine. There are some sizing charts that can help (internet search).

Also, the small riders will have an easier time learning on a bigger board. (Like starting on a long board in surfing). You should be able to tighten the boots enough to fit everyone

Here's my testimony on this - I have an old 142 Byerly Hyperlite with extra large boots (this is the largest size board and boots you can get)... all 3 of my girls learned to ride on this board / boot set up at ages 10, 9, and 7. They were fine their first two seasons. They learned to get up, ride comfortably and even start jumping. Once they progressed, we bought a smaller board.

Happy riding!!