Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

cracked silent rider muffler

I have 98 Malibu Sunsetter V-drive. Boat started acting like it was starving for fuel, looked in engine compartment to see a crack in the "Silent Rider" muffler, discharging water from the crack. Seems like this would be a seperate problem, does anyone have any input. They are made of fiberglass, so I am going to try and repair it, before dropping $400 on new one.

I had a 99 VLX with same issue. Mine had a small leak on the side as the joint came together. I had my reglassed it come out to about $275 from the dealer. What's odd is it never affected engine performance.

Sent from my iPhone 4

Edited by srintx

I have 98 Malibu Sunsetter V-drive. Boat started acting like it was starving for fuel, looked in engine compartment to see a crack in the "Silent Rider" muffler, discharging water from the crack. Seems like this would be a seperate problem, does anyone have any input. They are made of fiberglass, so I am going to try and repair it, before dropping $400 on new one.

I just used that super sticky foil heat tape on the crack, then 2" heat braid wrapped around with a hose clamp to hold it. Worked great until warranty replacement. Never had any performance isssues either. Cheers

Dave

If you have a performance issue it could be a broken baffle partially breaking the exhaust so I wouldn't rule out the muffler being your issue. I always tell people that when you have a performance issue, first things first is get the engine serviced, 90% of the time that corrects the issue but that's always step one in the repair manuals to make sure a engine is tuned in correct first.

To find out if the muffler is truly the issue, the one way is to remove it and look down the tubes to see if you can see any broken glass, you can shake the muffler to see if you hear anything rattling. If you do then most likely the baffle is broken. You can cut the muffler in half and repair it or replace it. You can pick up a new Malibu silent rider muffler for $360

If the muffler is falling apart I would suggest just replacing it, after 10 years of hot, cold and exhaust the fiberglass starts to fatigue so its better to just retire it instead of putting 1/2 or 3/4 of the cost to repair it.

Hope this helps you get the boat fixed up

-Paul

If you have a performance issue it could be a broken baffle partially breaking the exhaust so I wouldn't rule out the muffler being your issue. I always tell people that when you have a performance issue, first things first is get the engine serviced, 90% of the time that corrects the issue but that's always step one in the repair manuals to make sure a engine is tuned in correct first.

To find out if the muffler is truly the issue, the one way is to remove it and look down the tubes to see if you can see any broken glass, you can shake the muffler to see if you hear anything rattling. If you do then most likely the baffle is broken. You can cut the muffler in half and repair it or replace it. You can pick up a new Malibu silent rider muffler for $360

If the muffler is falling apart I would suggest just replacing it, after 10 years of hot, cold and exhaust the fiberglass starts to fatigue so its better to just retire it instead of putting 1/2 or 3/4 of the cost to repair it.

Hope this helps you get the boat fixed up

-Paul

Thanks for the help guys. I did hear a few hard knocks in engine comparment as this was happening. I am guessing that might of been the baffle breaking. Does the exhaust system need to have pressure in order for the boat to perform?

Check out http://www.themalibucrew.com/forums/index.php?/topic/31755-silent-rider-v-drive-muffler-construction-blow/page__p__457985__hl__muffler__fromsearch__1#entry457985

I went thru this already. My muffler was trashed on the inside. I think the prior owner let it get hot due to a cracked block. The new muffler from bakes made it much quieter and it still ran great!

Thanks for the help guys. I did hear a few hard knocks in engine comparment as this was happening. I am guessing that might of been the baffle breaking. Does the exhaust system need to have pressure in order for the boat to perform?

It needs some back pressure but the baffles are for sound dampening and to keep water from going side to side. They are notorious for having issues after a engine overheats when the fiberglass gets cooked.

-Paul

I had one that had one of the baffles come loose inside and was blocking the flow through the muffler. When I goosed it, the hose came off the muffler and while it would run when re-attached, it was rough. It was under warranty but they wouldn't commit to less than a 6 week turn around if I sent it back to the manufacturer for repair. No way I was going to not use the boat for the rest of the summer so, I cut a hole in the side of the muffler and repaired the broken baffle and then fiber glassed over the hole. Cost about $20 using a fiber glass kit from Walmart. Never failed again in the 11 years I had the boat.

/Steve

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...

Anyone ever just removed the muffler completely and put hoses connecting manifolds to the outlets?

I was wondering the same thing. I want to put an FAE on the boat so I don't think I need the quiet ride muffler. It takes up so much space...

@Walter: Yes, an unmuffled exhaust system is very loud, a very nice very loud but still very loud:) The captain call diverters do that for the offshore boats (Donzi, Powerquest, etc), so if you ever hear one of those, that is what you will get.

Most direct drives are sold without a silent rider muffler. I think they have small inline baffles on each exhaust hose to help but it isn't that loud. I did not purchase the silent rider muffler on the Txi and I don't miss it at all.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a 2010 axis and I just put on a FAE and figured if it doesn't hurt anything I might as well remove it, would make the impeller swap that much easier

I have a 2010 axis and I just put on a FAE and figured if it doesn't hurt anything I might as well remove it, would make the impeller swap that much easier

Let us know how that turns out. Thats exactly what I want to do.

Haha, I was hoping someone has already done it and could give some insight on any adverse effects, I took off my baffles when I did the FAE

Is it still very quite. Did you run it with it first and then take it off. Did the sound level change or the same.

I haven't done anything but the FAE yet, i meant i removed the flappers, not the muffler, I was just wondering if it would hurt anything to remove the muffler or if anyone had already done it and not had any problems, I'd like to remove it, need to roust up some hoses first

Edited by Walter