Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Prop will not come off shaft

The Voodoo Cowboy

So over the weekend I hit a submerged log and put a small bend about 2 inches long on one of the prop blades. Using my prop puller and in the process of removing the damaged prop, it stopped moving as it was being pulled off the shaft. I released the tension on the puller and inspected everything to see if there was anything out of the ordinary. Everything appears to be fine. I can see the key in the slot and it doesn't appear to be twisted or sheared off. So attempt #2 I put the puller back in place, got it all lined up and started cranking. I put as much tension as I possibly could on the puller, to the point where is was starting to flex! Prop didn't budge one bit. Next I grabbed a 7lb dead blow hammer and gave it everything I had and gave the backside of the puller more than a few good whacks! Still will not budge. Anyone else ever have any issues with a stubborn prop? My next plan was to maybe take a propane torch to the prop to try to heat it up. I'm just not sure it will get it hot enough to make it expand. I would try to use an impact gun on the puller but there's no way I can fit one in there with the rudder there. If anyone has any suggestions I'd love to hear them. Thanks in advance!

I had issues like this with props and Pittman arms and used a propane torch w/o any problems. It won't require too much heat and I think it will probably fly off when you do IME. I would put a wet towel around the shaft to protect the seals just to be safe though. Good luck.

don't know if this will help but I was having a similar problem with mine, ended up being the key was sticking on the shaft. was able to get it loose by using a thin rod (1/8 '') and a ballpeen hammer to dislodge it from the front of prop through the key way . once the key was to the rear of the prop it came right off !

good luck..

don't know if this will help but I was having a similar problem with mine, ended up being the key was sticking on the shaft. was able to get it loose by using a thin rod (1/8 '') and a ballpeen hammer to dislodge it from the front of prop through the key way . once the key was to the rear of the prop it came right off !

good luck..

The key may be wedged in tight because of the log impact.

I had a guy up at the lake borrow my puller a few weeks ago - because he broke his trying to pull his prop. He used a propane tourch and heated up the hub when he used my puller - and it popped right off. By the way - I see you are in Eugene - I am REALLY happy with the service AMPRO up here in Portland did on my prop repair if you don't know of a good shop down there.

I had a guy up at the lake borrow my puller a few weeks ago - because he broke his trying to pull his prop. He used a propane tourch and heated up the hub when he used my puller - and it popped right off. By the way - I see you are in Eugene - I am REALLY happy with the service AMPRO up here in Portland did on my prop repair if you don't know of a good shop down there.

Good to know! I looked them up online earlier this morning and will be sending them my prop once I get it off. I'll be trying the propane heat method this evening and maybe even try a punch on the key too. Thanks for the advice everyone!

I can't believe no one has made the obvious recommendation yet... :unsure:

:whistle:

Hit it with your purse, Sally. :lol:

Use a pin punch to push the square key to the back of the prop hub, it's probably deformed from the prop strike. Then if necessary use a propane torch but be careful with the flame. You don't want to burn your cutlass bearing inner sleeve.

Crank that baby tighter, and two words bigger hammer!!

It probably over torqued when it was re-installed (should be done at 50 lbs) and make sure there is a little grease on the inside of the prop when you re install it.

If you use heat, keep a cold towel around the shaft and concentrate the heat on the hub of the prop only warming it up slow.

Good luck!!

-Paul