Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

What Prop is best for 1996 Sunsetter LXi w/ 350 MAG

jimmyd

In 1996 we had 3 blades, then 4 and now 5. What is the proper stock prop? Are any of the newer prop better performance, mileage or easier on the engine?

In 1996 we had 3 blades, then 4 and now 5. What is the proper stock prop? Are any of the newer prop better performance, mileage or easier on the engine?

I think your boat had a 13 x 13 stock prop but I don't know the cup. You should check with ACME or OJ. I called ACME and they recommend a 525 for my boat, which is a year newer than yours. BTW, no LXi for 1996. That came in '99. You likely have an LX. We love ours. It's been a great boat! I'm going to get a 525 next season, so I'll report back on performance then.

I had that same boat for quite some time, and always ran a 525, which performed fantastically for all around use, including surfing and wakeboarding with quite a bit of additional ballast. That's pretty much all we fit for our customers with that same boat, and they're thrilled with it.

I recently replaced the stock SS CVP prop on my '98 Sunsetter (Monsoon 320) with the ACME 525. With the stock CVP prop I was only getting a WOT RPM of 4500. With the new prop WOT RPM is 4800 and gained 1-2 mph on the top end and..... the bottom end pull is very very good. This prop is very versatile and has no problems wakeboarding, slalom skiing or surfing with ballast. I think the 3 blade props are the most versatile.

I have done quite a bit of research lately on this subject due to a prop strike and the need for a back up in case we have another DA moment in the future. We have a 2002 SSLXI with the Monsoon 320 that was sold originally with the Acme 491, 3 bladed (13x12, .050 cup). Your boat is similar in size and weight so I would think your prop is also similar We purchased the boat last Sept. so do not have a lot of experience with it's performance but it only had 102 hrs on it with 200 psi comp at ea. cyl. so I am fairly confident engine performance is not a problem. With minimal weight and passengers we have struggled to get anything higher then 4500 rpm @ WOT with top speed around 42 -43mph. Hole shot is ok unless the boat is loaded, and/or the wedge is down, or we're pulling up a wide-body.

After reviewing the many posts on this site, talking with the local Malibu dealer, the dealer located at the lake we frequent, and speaking with Acme and OJ, I decided on the Acme 525. This is a 3 bladed prop, 13dia. x 11.5pitch, .080 cup, that should better the 491 in all aspects; shot, top speed, and fuel economy.

Another quality that should improve is the boat’s ability to hold speed at a given setting. We currently do not have PP, broke the budget this year on the stereo up-grade so this is on next years plan, so speed control is important, especially when slalom skiing, which is primarily what we like to do.

I use to have a 98' Sunsetter which we slalom ski behind and I still have the spare acme prop for it #653 3 blade (13x11.5) for sale. *see classified forum

We felt it had a good hole shot and wake for skiing, better then the stock 4 blade.