Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Illusion X Tower Bushings

Malibudude

Just a heads up as most know that the Illusion X tower was built by Metcraft who is now longer in business, though he works for XTP now. Since the company dissolved Malibu only had a limited supply of bushings and have been out for sometime. Most of us given the age of these towers are in need of the bushings for the quick release and/or the bolted hinge portion of the tower. After working with Malibu they are now available via your dealer. While most dealers may not be up to speed on this have them speak to customer service in Tennessee if they tell you they are not available.

Good to know.

Just as a note the front bushing at the pivot point is a standard part from mcmaster Carr part. The rear pin bushing is proprietary, but i found a trailer bushing that works as well.

This is a thread I put together a while ago, with specs on replacement parts:

http://www.themalibu...__1#entry467408

Do you know if they are selling the front pivot bolt? Mine is the knurled style, I think they went to a shoulder style later.

Over this winter, I may also have a local machine shop make the bushing out of brass, and if anyone is interested, get more than 1 pair done.

Edited by Indyxc

Over this winter, I may also have a local machine shop make the bushing out of brass, and if anyone is interested, get more than 1 pair done.

I might be interested but I'm curious if there is a reason they are nylon. There might need to be a certain amount of flex to take some shock in the rough spots so that the Aluminum doesn't fracture.

My opinion on the material of choice is that its a designated wear point and is sacrificial in nature. Better the bushing wearing out than the cast aluminum its there to protect and keep from making contact with other metal surfaces. Using anything other than nylon is a bad idea. Just my opinion though.

Jimmy, given the amount of issues, clear engineering design flaws, I really don't think Metacraft put in much effort let alone did an fea analysis with different material specifications for the bushings :)

Edited by Indyxc

My opinion on the material of choice is that its a designated wear point and is sacrificial in nature. Better the bushing wearing out than the cast aluminum its there to protect and keep from making contact with other metal surfaces. Using anything other than nylon is a bad idea. Just my opinion though.

I agree that it is a good wear point, and more so an easy point to modify for people/dealers where the tower doesn't line up perfectly, because the dimensional control on these components is poor. It made it easy to "hog" out the bushing to make the pins fit. When I put new bushings in, it was hard as heck to get the pins in, because all the sudden the alignment between the tower, pins, and base had to be perfect.

For the flexing issue... The amount of compressability in the nylon bushing (assuming it has little or no axial movement) I believe is insignificant compared to the bending moment and the front and back bending of the tower itself. Infact the more compressibility, and in effect the more "play" the bushing have the more impact force you are adding to the tower points, which in effect is also bad. The more rigid the tower, and the more gradual the acceleration of the tower, given a constant pull force from the rope, the better for the tower. But of course the tower sees impact from the rope. I've read of the towers that have cracked, and I doubt the bushings had much effect on the result.

Edited by Indyxc

good points on the bushing discussion - very insightful - I know some of the more agressive riders we pull really do strain the tower - I would be willing to give the brass one's a go... keep me posted on where you land with this - the last thing I want is to be off the water for something like this.

I have an Illusion X tower that I NEVER fold down. If I never fold it down, do I still have to worry about the bushing wearing out? Seems to me it would only wear out if it was being used. Thanks

I have an Illusion X tower that I NEVER fold down. If I never fold it down, do I still have to worry about the bushing wearing out? Seems to me it would only wear out if it was being used. Thanks

Well, regardless of nylon or brass, the bushing will eventually compress in both push and pull. As mentioned, since the tolerances are a bit sloppy in the initial construction that will probably have more effect on how quick your particular bushings last. YMMV.

Just a heads up as most know that the Illusion X tower was built by Metcraft who is now longer in business, though he works for XTP now. Since the company dissolved Malibu only had a limited supply of bushings and have been out for sometime. Most of us given the age of these towers are in need of the bushings for the quick release and/or the bolted hinge portion of the tower. After working with Malibu they are now available via your dealer. While most dealers may not be up to speed on this have them speak to customer service in Tennessee if they tell you they are not available.

Why dont we set up a group buy for the bushings?

Why dont we set up a group buy for the bushings?

Honestly I had though about it but after months of working to get these able to be purchased it is a small victory. I'll look into a group buy, problem is what everyone needs a four point bushings or just the quick release. It's either a full set or just the quick release.

How many are interested in just the quick release bushings or a all four bushings?

Honestly I had though about it but after months of working to get these able to be purchased it is a small victory. I'll look into a group buy, problem is what everyone needs a four point bushings or just the quick release. It's either a full set or just the quick release.

How many are interested in just the quick release bushings or a all four bushings?

I'd have to look, but I'm guessing most people wont mind having the spares around if they don't need them right now.

jkendallmsce

I will need to repalce the bushings on my tower...count me in.

Malibudude,

Again I think only selling the quick release bushings (rear) is fine, because the pivot swivel bearing is a commodity item from mcmastercarr for 5 bucks. But just as a note too, it seems the quick release bushing vary in Id in some model year towers.