Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Barefoot Skiing

rmdeeplake

Nice job. I would have a talk with your driver though. Seems like you went from 0-40mph now. I like to get an easy pull out of the hole, get over the wake then up to speed. But that is just me. What speed were you skiing at there? I'm very interested in a VTX/Sunscape but have not skied (footed) behind one yet. Also what is the top speed of the boat with what motor?

I'm pretty sure we were around 38-39mph (speed control is set to 39mph for me) I weigh 155lbs. I have lots of different drivers so I just adjust to the pull! I learned to deep water off in 1988 Rinker I/O so anything is better :)

Here is a video of my friend slalom skiing http://vimeo.com/27792446.

Also we ski and barefoot with the bow ballast tank about half to 3/4 full to flatten the wake out, as we have the wake hull and not the diamond hull. Our boats has the 350hp Monsoon with wake prop (high altitude per Malibu) and has 46 mph top speed (not gps verified). We got the boat last year and it seems to be great at everything. See my vimeo account http://vimeo.com/user3276835 for other videos if you want to see how the wake is.

Edited by rmdeeplake
  • 2 weeks later...

Congrats very cool!

I want to try barefooting so bad. I think I'm going to try to plan to buy a footing suit and some what do you call them? butt riders? or something? Sure I've got a wakesetter, but that doesnt mean I can't try me some footing once in a while :) I've only gone once off a boom and I'll probably drown myself learning but hey part of the fun right? Can you learn on a very short line (I'm thinking like 20-30') so that the tower helps pull you up more? Does the prop blast screw you?

Congrats very cool!

I want to try barefooting so bad. I think I'm going to try to plan to buy a footing suit and some what do you call them? butt riders? or something? Sure I've got a wakesetter, but that doesnt mean I can't try me some footing once in a while :) I've only gone once off a boom and I'll probably drown myself learning but hey part of the fun right? Can you learn on a very short line (I'm thinking like 20-30') so that the tower helps pull you up more? Does the prop blast screw you?

I wouldn't do that. When i learned deeps behind my wakesetter, the prop wash killed my butt and i was at 70 feet but i was also using a crappy wetsuit with a small amount of butt padding. If you have a v-drive, i think a good barefoot suit, padded shorts and a long line is needed. I was riding at 80' and now i always ride 100'. It really helps to have a nice barefoot rope and handle too. You can buy them in 75' and 100' lengths including the handle. Don't worry about getting out of the water. No matter what length you ride at, you'll get right out of the water using a tower.

A few years ago, I was on my friends boom trying to learn deeps on the 5 foot handle and the angle of the rope is pretty uncomfortable when getting up and then i went long line behind his boat and it felt much nicer. So the rope angle isn't everything. Just putting in my 2 cents.

Edited by jaciche

Long line attached to the tower will make a difference over attaching to the pylon. You will want the long line to foot, table is too turbulent close up and the wake edges will be pretty sharp. Good luck and have fun.

Here are a few photos of me learning off the boom.

IMG00404-20110704-0741.jpg

2011-07-04_07-37-37_224.jpg

Video of me footing for the first time. I sat on a wakeboard with no bindings to start and have since conquered the deep water start.

http://www.viddler.com/explore/pfeff/videos/27/

This was all done on my neighbors '99 Malibu Flightcraft

Edited by 2004WakeSetterVLX

We used to foot with our 2000 Response. Since August we have a 2004 Response LXI with Hammerhead 380. I do one foots, tumbles, back deep short line and long line. Must say that the RLXI has much smoother wake for barefoot slalom than our old Response, we're really happy with our new to us RLXI.

PS: we foot in The Netherlands.

Me short line:

post-16937-085547500 1315431126_thumb.jp

post-16937-082739200 1315431165_thumb.jp