Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Paddle Wheel Speedometer sensor replacment versus GPS

2007 Sunscape - My Paddle Wheel Speedometer Sensor has crapped out and not sending the correct signal to my speedomoter. Lake temp and depth appear inaccruate upon occasion as well. It appears to be in the wiring and simply not sending an accurate signal. Instead of replacing for a cost of $120, I can upgrade for about $250 and get a nice GPS unit ( as seen on this site) to run my perfect pass and speedometer. But.....I will lose temp and depth.. What's a guy to do??

Because I like things working nice and neat and clean, my gut is telling me to replace the Sensor and get back to factory. But, my love of gadgets wants the GPS. This weekend, I used my Android phone app for GPS Speedometer and was pretty impressed with the results. I wonder if I could tie my phone into my dash somehow......

What's the vote?.....Fix back to original, or buy the GPS unit and ignore not having lake temp etc?

:)

Edited by KeithR

Are you ever on a river? If so you need the paddle wheel to get an accurat water speed. The GPS will give you a very accurate speed accross the bottom but inacurate in water speed if the water is moving..

You could always get the orginal fixed and get a mount of some sort for the phone and have both.

REW

have fun and remember it is YOUR boat don't let someone else's opinion ruion your fun.

Are you ever on a river? If so you need the paddle wheel to get an accurat water speed. The GPS will give you a very accurate speed accross the bottom but inacurate in water speed if the water is moving..

You could always get the orginal fixed and get a mount of some sort for the phone and have both.

REW

have fun and remember it is YOUR boat don't let someone else's opinion ruion your fun.

Umm yea that funky looking word above is supposed to be ruin. :rofl:

You might look a little closer at the cable for the paddle wheel. I had the same thing happen. When I inspected the wire I found a piece of the rubber coating missing. The wires then were exposed to water which caused the problem. I just spliced it back together and have not had a problem since. Might be worth looking into before ordering anything.

Yup, I will be running in rivers, so I guess it makes sense about not getting an accurate GPS reading. Re; the post about the wiring...the wiring is the problem for sure. in fact it was somehow run underneath the Vdrive and eventually rubbed and damaged. I tried to cut the pieces out pull them above the vdrive and resplice, but they are very small wires. I got a signal for a while, but crapped out again. For $120, I will jsut replace the whole thing. My other funny issue is how the wire was run from the bilge up to the dash. can't figure out how they got through the tiny little hole then then run along the inside up to the dash. Its' alomst like they built the boat around the cable?!?!

Oh well, I will replace and be a happy camper....until the next issue crops up...which they always do.

KR

Tie the new wire to the old one then gently pull the wire out and in at the same time, you can also pull in some string then use that to pull the new wire

good luck