Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

New Carpet

Snap in carpet is standard on the Centurions, which are not high-end boats. Snap-in carpet should not be an upcharge, if you ask me. If anything, it might be cheaper because there is less carpet to install. The interior of our boats already has a gelcoat underneath.

I didn't realize the '06 V-Ride came with the crappy carpet and the good carpet was an option, or I would have ordered it. My dealer skipped over that option assuming I didn't need it. Am I really missing out? Cry.gif

I don't know if that's true or not, but I can find out.

As for the snap in/out carpeting, it would cost more for this reason. Have any of you seen what's underneath the carpeting in our boats? Yes it's gel coat, but not of the finished variety. So not only would they need to do a finish grade gel on that, but all of the carpet that is currently on the floor couldn't just be cut & glued, it would have to have finished edges, snaps, etc. Then that runs into, how do they tie in the seat bases to look right, & what about under the seats....it just goes on & on & on. It would add to the cost over what they do now, make no mistake about it. I'm not advocating one way or another, just trying to point out how it probably would add up to more money than just going down & buying a carpet saver. :)

GalaxyToad,

Those stains are a warranty issue. Very common on the '05 boats & has something to do with the glue that they used (IIRC). Get with your dealer on that one.

I didn't realize the '06 V-Ride came with the crappy carpet and the good carpet was an option, or I would have ordered it. My dealer skipped over that option assuming I didn't need it. Am I really missing out? Cry.gif

My dealer tried to talk me into the good carpet for $100. It seems pretty impractical to me. Soaks up more water and doesn't look any better IMHO.

Snap in carpet is standard on the Centurions, which are not high-end boats. Snap-in carpet should not be an upcharge, if you ask me. If anything, it might be cheaper because there is less carpet to install. The interior of our boats already has a gelcoat underneath.

I don't know if that's true or not, but I can find out.

As for the snap in/out carpeting, it would cost more for this reason. Have any of you seen what's underneath the carpeting in our boats? Yes it's gel coat, but not of the finished variety. So not only would they need to do a finish grade gel on that, but all of the carpet that is currently on the floor couldn't just be cut & glued, it would have to have finished edges, snaps, etc. Then that runs into, how do they tie in the seat bases to look right, & what about under the seats....it just goes on & on & on. It would add to the cost over what they do now, make no mistake about it. I'm not advocating one way or another, just trying to point out how it probably would add up to more money than just going down & buying a carpet saver. :)

GalaxyToad,

Those stains are a warranty issue. Very common on the '05 boats & has something to do with the glue that they used (IIRC). Get with your dealer on that one.

Have you heard this from the dealer, about the carpet being a warranty issue? when I asked them at Bell Aqua they acted like they had neer heard about the stains. I have waited about taking my boat in for warranty work due to the fact that it has been raining like crazy and they leave them outside. I mentioned that in my recent customer satisfaction survey, I have not heard back from them yet. Anyway if anyone has heard about this from the dealer or had it fixed that would be nice to know cause I need to get my warranty work taken care of.

A lot of them have reacted that way, but it's probably because they really don't know about it. From what I've read, the factory does know about it though, you just need to push the issue with the dealer. Possibly a call to the factory may be in order.

I like an interior that is fully carpeted. All the snap-in carpets I have seen show the gel coat on the sides of the interior, and I just do not like the look.

I like an interior that is fully carpeted. All the snap-in carpets I have seen show the gel coat on the sides of the interior, and I just do not like the look.

I agree 100%

I have to say that the one thing have have been disappointed in with my boat is the carpet. I am sure Bu has probably changed several times since 01. First of all the carpet mats down way too easily. Secondly, the color of gray I have is way to light. It shows every little bit of dirt. The lighter color does keep things cooler in the boat, but with a bimini thigs don't really get hot anyway. How hard would it be to replace the carpet in my SLXi? Seems like a lot of work.

I have followed the advice of fellow Crew members and asked Santa for a Bissel Little Green. Haven't used it in the boat yet but man does it work wonders on the carpet in the house.

I was able to check out the 06 carpet over the weekend, along with a bunch of new 06 boats. But the carpet is and I hate to use the word Burber, but it has more of that style look to it than the old stuff, which btw was only used in 04-05. Malibu did use a "cheaper" carpet on the Ride series as a way to get costs down. I didn't have any long term experience with my 04s/05 but that carpet seemed day vs. night better than the 03 and older carpets. My understanding is the 06 stuff is supposed to wear better. We will see.

Snap out carpet RULES!!! It is a more expensive process because more of the boat has to be finished. Carpet can cover up a lot of imperfections. The 25 has snap out carpet btw. But the trends seem to be full carpet, at least all the new models still have the glued down stuff.

Yeah, I looked at the Ride series & its carpet is definitely different than the other boats this year. I personally like the berber better, it feels really nice on bare feet. Again, we'll see how it wears. As for snap out, every last boat that I saw that had it had a much more unfinished feel to it because of the exposed fiberglass. With the way that most people talk about their Bus & how they love the feel, the fit & finish, & the ergonomics, I have a really hard time believing that it would go over well with the majority of Bu buyers. I do think that the carpet saver is a good compromise.

Just visited the Austin boat show, and I do like the new '06 Malibu carpet. Speaking of snap-in carpet though, noticed all the new MC's have it. The new X2 is a very appealing boat from what I saw. Only 20 feet long but seemed hugeinside. As someone said, the snap-in carpet means the sides are gel-coat, but it looked pretty good actually in the MC's case.

I agree. For my situtation, I'd honestly pay extra to have a fiberglass floor with a snap in insert. I know, it sounds like something you'd see in a bayliner or a fishing boat, but I'd like it.

JZ

I agree snap-in carpet would be a great set-up. Cobalt has been using it for some time and it looks very nice.

I would agree, much easier to keep clean, plus it looks like the boat is finished off better IMO.

Greg, did you ever work out the carpet issue with your boat? Did you talk to Malibu about it?

I agree. For my situtation, I'd honestly pay extra to have a fiberglass floor with a snap in insert. I know, it sounds like something you'd see in a bayliner or a fishing boat, but I'd like it.

JZ

I agree snap-in carpet would be a great set-up. Cobalt has been using it for some time and it looks very nice.

I would agree, much easier to keep clean, plus it looks like the boat is finished off better IMO.

Greg, did you ever work out the carpet issue with your boat? Did you talk to Malibu about it?

They are going to address it next month when I take it in to get the center piece replaced (creeky floor) and the non-rusting wedge bolts installed. I will definitely post what happens.

JZ

They are going to address it next month when I take it in to get the center piece replaced (creeky floor) and the non-rusting wedge bolts installed. I will definitely post what happens.

when you say they are going to address this when they take care of the creaking floor, do you mean they are going to replace the carpet?

Edited by ricnvic
when you say they are going to address this when they take care of the creaking floor, do you mean they are going to replace the carpet?

doubt it, probably evaluate it and go from there. Its not bad enough for that to be their first step IMO, but I'll see how it goes. Hopefully they can just get the spots out.

My dealer told me that the carpet manufacturer has a cleaning solution that will take out any spots on the '05 carpet. It should be available through your dealer.

My dealer told me that the carpet manufacturer has a cleaning solution that will take out any spots on the '05 carpet. It should be available through your dealer.

When I was speaking with them about my issues that needed to be taken care of, they suggested that I use 303 upholstery cleaner for the spots. I don't know if that is what your dealer is referring to, but it would be nice to know if there is a product out there we can use.

This is exactly what the Malibu rep told me at the boat show last weekend. Malibu has some kind of chemical cleaning solution that will remove that glue (or whatever it is) stain from the carpet. You supposedly can only get it through the dealers.

Edited by stusumm
  • 4 months later...

doubt it, probably evaluate it and go from there. Its not bad enough for that to be their first step IMO, but I'll see how it goes. Hopefully they can just get the spots out.

Hi Chris -

Whatever happened with this. I have an '05 VLX with the brown stains and creaking floor board. Its down at Tilly's right now, but when my wife talked to them the first time we got the "never heard of it".

Hi Chris -

Whatever happened with this. I have an '05 VLX with the brown stains and creaking floor board. Its down at Tilly's right now, but when my wife talked to them the first time we got the "never heard of it".

I just had my replacement floor installed. They've heard of it and if they haven't, have them call the SM at Paradise Watersports and he can fill them in on it. I've even talked with Jorge Martinez at the factory about it. What's nice about the replacement is that you will get the new table mount which is much better than the 05 set up.

I'm just living with my carpet. Its not bad enough to really bother me and if I push too hard, I may ruin my relationship with my service department and its not worth it (to me).

• 9 years later...