Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

New Carpet

One on the things that I didn't like about my 05 VLX was the carpet Malibu used. After seeing the 06 carpet at the show I thought it looked great and a little like the shag carpet we have in our family room! I was curious about how it is performing for the new 06 owners.

Do you find that it's matting down? Hard to get stuff out that gets stuck in it? IE food or other? There are a few pluses to the shorter carpet I'd think. But they may be waaay outweighed by the new stuff. Do tell.

Edited by chathamsolutions

I probably don't have enough time in the boat to really have a good opinion on that, but my initial reaction is that the new stuff is as good or better in just about every category. It doesn't seem to tamp/lay down the way the other stuff does (it does flatten down, but since it's much plusher I think it gives the illusion that it doesn't flatten as much, does that make sense?). The old stuff flattened out really, really bad & I consider the new stuff a huge improvement in that area. I haven't found that stuff gets stuck in it any easier, but time will tell on that one. (We may not be very good guinea pigs on that - we tend to be pretty anal about what we allow in the boat for the day, plus we clean/vacuum pretty frequently.) One thing that I do suspect, the plushness of the carpet & how it doesn't lay down as bad may actually help to keep things from getting caught in the carpet. On the yellow boat, there were times when I felt like I had to really dig to get at some of the stuff that I was trying to vacuum up, while this stuff seems "looser" & like it will give it up easier. Does that make sense?

Anyway, we're in full tilt snow ski season up here, so it will be another month or so before we start getting back out on the water.

Edited by WakeGirl

one of the regulars has an 03 mc pro-tournament with about 350 hours with about the same usage as my 04 response w 320 hours. the mc carpet is more like a padded mat. not plush at all but very comfortable, shows zero wear, zero dirt. looks MUCH better than mine with similar use. wish malibu would take a look at it. looks like it was fresh from the factory.

I'm trying to remember the details and years, but Malibu did change the carpet once already, recently - I think from 03 to 04 they went with a much more plush/thicker/heavier carpet. Then in 05 they offered a very basic carpet in the "ride" series as standard equipment and offered the better carpet as an option. The other boats still had the nicer carpet standard.

I've not spent any time in an 06 yet, are we saying they have upgraded the carpet again from the 05 premium stuff?

Boy I don't know Tony, but the carpet in my '04 wasn't anything special. Maybe you're thinking of '04 to '05? I know that there was a change there & you could get an upgraded, plusher carpet. The new carpet in the '06 boats is completely different, with more of a berber look & feel.

Edited by WakeGirl
I'm trying to remember the details and years, but Malibu did change the carpet once already, recently - I think from 03 to 04 they went with a much more plush/thicker/heavier carpet. Then in 05 they offered a very basic carpet in the "ride" series as standard equipment and offered the better carpet as an option. The other boats still had the nicer carpet standard.

I've not spent any time in an 06 yet, are we saying they have upgraded the carpet again from the 05 premium stuff?

I know that the carpet in my '97 Echelon was FAR FAR FAR supperior to the carpet in my '99 Lxi. The '97 did not mat and was easy to clean. It was upgraded carpet on the Echelon, because my buddies '97 Response Lx had similar carpet to my '99 (IE: crap).

My '97 Echelon had "neato" carpet.

I felt like I had to really dig to get at some of the stuff that I was trying to vacuum up, while this stuff seems "looser" & like it will give it up easier. Does that make sense?

Makes sense to me. I wish my carpet was "looser" so I didn't have to pick at it to get sock/towel fuzzies out of it. Mad.gif

I wish my carpet was "looser" so I didn't have to pick at it to get sock/towel fuzzies out of it. Mad.gif

uh Jack, you're wearing fuzzy socks on the boat? We clearly have work left to do...

I know that the carpet in my '97 Echelon was FAR FAR FAR supperior to the carpet in my '99 Lxi. The '97 did not mat and was easy to clean. It was upgraded carpet on the Echelon, because my buddies '97 Response Lx had similar carpet to my '99 (IE: crap).

You dont know neato carpet...This is neato carpet :lol:

35208HPIM2502.JPG

You dont know neato carpet...This is neato carpet :lol:

35208HPIM2502.JPG

There are many words that may be used to describe that carpet. Neato, is not on the list.

What posessed someone to put that carpet in a boat?

Personally, I'm very fond of the two tone interior. What do they call that? Yellow/sun-faded yellow? Maybe it's a work in progress although I'd bet it's hard to find vinyl that would go along with the new carpet.

I look at that picture of the 1973 Chris-Craft and wonder...Just how many recycled Leisure Suits went into the process of manufacturing that carpet. :lol:

Why do people with boats that get wet want thick plush carpet?

I agree. For my situtation, I'd honestly pay extra to have a fiberglass floor with a snap in insert. I know, it sounds like something you'd see in a bayliner or a fishing boat, but I'd like it.

JZ

I agree. For my situtation, I'd honestly pay extra to have a fiberglass floor with a snap in insert. I know, it sounds like something you'd see in a bayliner or a fishing boat, but I'd like it.

JZ

I agree snap-in carpet would be a great set-up. Cobalt has been using it for some time and it looks very nice.

One more vote for snap in carpet! I wish Malibu would start doing this.

It would be so nice not to worry about water getting in the boat, being that it is a boat. LOL

I had never heard of snap-in carpet so I Googled it and up popped this Centurion:

13.jpg

I kind of have mixed emotions...it seems practical from a cleaning standpoint but to me it seems like more of a fishing boat with so much of the interior being Gel Coat. I will keep what I have.

I had a '94 Ski Ray DD with snap-in/out carpet. The wake was terrible, but the fit and finish of that boat was second to none. The deck was gel coated like a sail boat's with a pattern in the gel coat. The carpet had a rubber backing to provide cushion and prevent slipping on the deck. When the carpet became wet, we would hang it up and it would be dry within 30 min. or so. I would gladly pay extra to see Malibu build that feature into their boats. THAT WOULD BE THE SHIZNIT!

Snap in carpet is standard on the Centurions, which are not high-end boats. Snap-in carpet should not be an upcharge, if you ask me. If anything, it might be cheaper because there is less carpet to install. The interior of our boats already has a gelcoat underneath.

I didn't realize the '06 V-Ride came with the crappy carpet and the good carpet was an option, or I would have ordered it. My dealer skipped over that option assuming I didn't need it. Am I really missing out? Cry.gif