Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

LSA SC Engine not available in CA? per ISPEC

funkcity

Re: California Air Resource Board (CARB) Certification

EPA to follow!

I know Teague Marine is one of the first CARB certified high performance boat engine manufacturers to be CARB certified.

Their engines are between 700 and 1400 hp. and have a new high performance catalytic converter.

From Bob Brown on Riverdavesplace.com former Powerboat and HotBoat magazine editor:

<<<<Interesting news -- Teague Custom Marine is now one of only three marine engine builders (Mercury and Ilmor are the other two) to have received CARB certification on their high performance engine model line. CARB signed off on four Teague engine models (825EFI, 1025EFI, 1200EFI and the 1335/1365 EFI) about one-month ago after passing all the emission regulations. Don't have all the statistics, but have heard that the motors tested significantly under the current CARB limits. This is a big accomplishment for Teague, and even a bigger investment -- the testing wasn't cheap. The next step in the process is to get EPA to accept the CARB data in time for the January 1, 2013 federal (all states) deadline. Not sure what the rest of the smaller, independent high performance engine builders plan to do since non-certified engines will be illegal to sell in all states in about 18 months.>>>

The Indmar does not as-of-yet use a catalytic converter on the 500+ hp engine....and does not sell a lot of the LSA engines. But they will have to prepare for the upcoming EPA regs!

California is once again leading the race in emission standards.

Only Mercury / Ilmor / Teague are meeting the California Air Resource guidelines - we'll just have to pay more for those motors

Whats coming is stricter EPA regs. To get a feel and the different manufacturers comments...including Indmar go here:

http://www.epa.gov/nonroad/marinesi-equipld/420r08016-chp03.pdf

I have the 550 hp LSA engine. This was purchased from Central Valley Marine in Campbell, Ca. Malibu received their CARB Cert this year.

The buy it out of state and bring it in thing doesn’t work anymore by the way. All of the VIN’s are computerized now. When you try to register the boat it will be red flagged.

jkendallmsce

I have the 550 hp LSA engine. This was purchased from Central Valley Marine in Campbell, Ca. Malibu received their CARB Cert this year.

The buy it out of state and bring it in thing doesnt work anymore by the way. All of the VINs are computerized now. When you try to register the boat it will be red flagged.

So if you buy a boat, either new or used, and it is registered in any state other than CA for 90+ days, then move/transfer it to CA, just how can it be red flagged??

The key is the 90+ days.

Although CA has a ton of stupid regs, some of which eventually ruled to be unconsititional, not sure how the state can prohibit you from bringing your 550 hp boat into the state.

Edited by jkendallmsce

California is having no luck in getting the true gross polluters off the streets so instead will go after the clean burning high performance engines. Makes perfect sense to me :Frustrated:

jkendallmsce

California is having no luck in getting the true gross polluters off the streets so instead will go after the clean burning high performance engines. Makes perfect sense to me :Frustrated:

Welcome to land of fruits and flakes, Boxer, DIFI, Pelosi and that beacon of hope Maxine Waters....and lets not forget lets see just how much of their money we can spend Steinberg, Bass, Nunez, and the leader of the fuzzy math movement jerry moonbean brown.

I've purchased several motorcycles out of state and even Canada, boat and cars too. One thing you will not get around is the sales tax, pay up and be happy with your 555HP boat :biggrin:

So if you buy a boat, either new or used, and it is registered in any state other than CA for 90+ days, then move/transfer it to CA, just how can it be red flagged??

The key is the 90+ days.

Although CA has a ton of stupid regs, some of which eventually ruled to be unconsititional, not sure how the state can prohibit you from bringing your 550 hp boat into the state.

I'm not sure of all the details but I do know Malibu would not sell me the boat until it was CARB certified. Now that it is certified you can register it. As posted above you will still get stuck paying "your fair share" to Governor Moonbeam.

jkendallmsce

I'm not sure of all the details but I do know Malibu would not sell me the boat until it was CARB certified. Now that it is certified you can register it. As posted above you will still get stuck paying "your fair share" to Governor Moonbeam.

Being CARB certified has nothing to do with what I said. Reread what I previously posted.