Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Houston and Dallas Crews SURF it UP...

RiverRunner

Well after posting on the Houston Owners thread

Looks like we are heading to Lake Fayette County on Saturday, Air High 77, south wind, water at damm was 72 last week and the water at the channel was 81. I will check late tonight to see if anyone else can make it.

BradB called and said he was putting a Dallas crew together to join us at Lake Fayette County. This is the third time that we have had the new boat out and the first time that we have truely loaded it up. Including Brad (BradB), TJ (Krakdaddie), John (Big John) and our crew we had 11 people. We loaded up the boat with a couple extra fat sacks put someone off the side of the boat in Texas Sling Rev. B and took advantage of the 78 degree air 68 degree water temp January day. Here are a few shots of everyone Surfing It Up!!!

Top Left - The New Boat

Top Middle - BradB

Top Right - TJ

Middle Left - John

Middle Middle - Dave (first time to EVER surf and went ropeless)

Middle Left - Bas (first time to EVER surf very good but, not ropeless)

Bottome Left - Katie aka Twitch (Usually surfs ropeless but, the big wake was giving her a hard time)

Bottom Middle - Yours Truely (Picture quality sucks taked from a video)

Bottom Right - Ryan (Picture quality sucks taked from a video)

Edited by RiverRunner

Looks like a great wake and a great time. I've been thinking about going there from Austin for the warm water. Where do you launch, how much does it cost, is the lake dangerous(logs-stumps) etc? Please let me know what you think of that lake.

Looks like a great wake and a great time. I've been thinking about going there from Austin for the warm water. Where do you launch, how much does it cost, is the lake dangerous(logs-stumps) etc? Please let me know what you think of that lake.

Besides the water being radioactive no. Some times your skin glows green afterwards though. :lol:

AWESOME! That wake looks sick.

I love that you have an 04 23 LSV. So, besides all the people, how'd you have it weighted?

DANG! That video pic is incredible! I need to get more people in the boat next time we surf. HUGE!

I would love to put that wave out behind my boat!! Howd you setup the fatsacs? Hey andy, we could have a wakesurfing get together!!!

It is a good lake an Oasis for winter water sports but, there is structure in the water in places. We launch at Oak Thicket Park, I think it is $4 per adult and $2 for kids at the gate. It is a nice park a big pavilion with picnic tables, very CLEAN restrooms, large playground, three boat wide ramp with three slip dock, big parking lot, really nice cabins, over all a really nice park and lake.

Looking at the map, come out of the cove the boat ramp is at almost straight across the lake to the dam, there are a few structure markers stay a good ways from them. You can run up and down the dam from the coffer dam to the other end (I have never ventured to close to the end where you will see a beach), go around the dam gate structure in the middle of the dam it has markers around it do not go between it and the dam. Make a BIG loop to go to the outlet, line up with the channel a ways out and run straight up the middle like you are landing an airplane there is a ridge of rocks on each side.

So....... I'm assuming you're happy with your new boat?

Looks like a great day!

We love the new boat after this weekend we know what it is capable of.

Besides the water being radioactive no. Some times your skin glows green afterwards though. :lol:

Yeah but, for a couple of days after being in the lake you do not have to turn on the light to pee in the middle of the night. Actually it is a coal power plant so you only get a nagging cough.

AWESOME! That wake looks sick.

I love that you have an 04 23 LSV. So, besides all the people, how'd you have it weighted?

DANG! That video pic is incredible! I need to get more people in the boat next time we surf. HUGE!

I would love to put that wave out behind my boat!! Howd you setup the fatsacs? Hey andy, we could have a wakesurfing get together!!!

We had all the stock MLS full a 440 lb. in each rear locker, a 200 lb. in the playpen on the side we were surfing on, a 200 lb. on the floor on the side we were surfing on and the Texas Sling with varying weight deployed off the side of the boat with 11 people.

We had all the stock MLS full a 440 lb. in each rear locker, a 200 lb. in the playpen on the side we were surfing on, a 200 lb. on the floor on the side we were surfing on and the Texas Sling with varying weight deployed off the side of the boat with 11 people.

That is some crazy weight.

Last time we had 11 adults in the boat and MLS full, I had a very difficult time keeping water from coming over the bow. With another 200lb'er in there it would have been near impossible. What was your experience?

That is some crazy weight.

Last time we had 11 adults in the boat and MLS full, I had a very difficult time keeping water from coming over the bow. With another 200lb'er in there it would have been near impossible. What was your experience?

We started off with two 200 lb. sacks in the bow after the first rider and two chili dips we put one of them in the back on the floor, after that we were fine. Learning from Brad and crew yesterday, when you loose your rider slow down to neutral, put the boat in reverse, let the boat make the turn it naturally wants to being weighted which will put your high side towards the rollers, once big rollers have passed head back to the rider, much less chance of taking a roller over the bow.

So you don't think he was running the 537? could it be he had an identical spare? ? ?

You say you're running the 537 on your LSV, Brad, 'and prefer it'. What else have you tried? What year is your LSV? 25V hull?

I've got the 857 sitting as a spare. Wondering if I should throw it on and give it a whirl.

Like Brad said the boat has the Monsoon 340, at this point I like it for a boat with about 2000 lbs. of ballest and 11 people it seemed to have enough power the only thing was with all 11 behind the wind shield and full ballest it was having a hard time getting on plane, dumped the rear tanks and it plained out without a problem.

The boat has been prop down do not remember to what, the original 537 is under the seat and the new prop is? I am going to buy a prop kit and try out the other one and I will let you know what the difference is.

I love the 857 - much better out of the hole than the 537, and very little impact to the top end.

No way I'm going back to the 537 - it is also much easier to hold the slower wakeboarding speeds when weighted, becuase it picks up quicker.

And Andy, you aren't a power turner are you? Tease2.gif If you just go to neutral for a couple seconds after your rider falls (surfing, riding, whatever) the wake will just go past you, and you can now turn around without having to cross back over it

So you don't think he was running the 537? could it be he had an identical spare? ? ?

You say you're running the 537 on your LSV, Brad, 'and prefer it'. What else have you tried? What year is your LSV? 25V hull?

I've got the 857 sitting as a spare. Wondering if I should throw it on and give it a whirl.

I have an '03 - last of the Diamond WS LSVs Biggrin.gif - and I've only run the 537.

I don't have any reason to change and fear that if I did I'd hafta tinker with everything else just to get back to "just right".

I figger Malibu put that one on there stock cuz they thought it would give the best performance and I have no reason to doubt their wisdom.

I have ballasted more than stock but thats only when we are going 10-12 mph and I can't see how a prop change would improve at low speed.

The rest of the time we use just stock ballast setup.

Darn it Troy

I took out my tanks cuz you said its better

Now this??????

Edited by Brad B

I would have to agree with what Troy said, the I believe 857 comes out of the hole much stronger that what I remember on the other LSV's I have been on. The only two drawbacks that I see is that at top speed the boat will over rev the prop and it seems to spit out more of an rooster tail than the stock prop at surf speed.

:) No, I'm definately not part of the power turning crowd. Always slow, let the wake pass and hook it around - always keep the rider on the driver's right, etc.

But man, when we had my boat fully loaded with 11 adults, I took so much water over the bow. I soaked the people up front probably 3 times :) I haven't taken any water over the bow in a long time, but this last summer when we were loaded, I really did. I guess just have to go that much slower.

RR - if he's propped it down, and it's an ACME, then I'm sure it's the 857.

http://www.wakeside.com/page/W/CTGY/acme_v...opellers_malibu

I talked to ACME directly about it. They said it was the one to go with on our boat. I may just have to get out the kit and pry that baby loose. Brad has a good point though. Things are running well, by 'fix it if it ain't broke?'. I just need to get more weight in the boat.

- and learn to drive it weighted, obviously.

BTW - the Weekend Saver Kit is $99 direct from ACME.

Edited by chathamsolutions

From the 537, I might have lost 1MPH on the top end, but it will bump the rev limiter if you really stay on it (I never run true WOT for very long anyway - but I cruise fast when getting somewhere)

I run in the 42-44mph (GPS) with the 857 and that is pretty much the same I had with the 537... the key difference is the crusin RPM did come up, but it is worth the additional 'umpf' outta the hole. I hate that struggling fealin when pulling a boarder with lots of ballast and/or folks

Can't wait to ride with you guys (RiverRunner, Brad, & TJ)... at the TX WOW Rockon.gif

I have an '03 - last of the Diamond WS LSVs Biggrin.gif - and I've only run the 537.

I don't have any reason to change and fear that if I did I'd hafta tinker with everything else just to get back to "just right".

I figger Malibu put that one on there stock cuz they thought it would give the best performance and I have no reason to doubt their wisdom.

I have ballasted more than stock but thats only when we are going 10-12 mph and I can't see how a prop change would improve at low speed.The rest of the time we use just stock ballast setup.

Darn it Troy

I took out my tanks cuz you said its better

Now this??????

I'm not sure "ballasted" is an english word, but we won't start that.

I have messed around with props, not on Bu's but on CC's, on boats with "significant" weight (11 people plus + or - 1400# of water is significant in my book) the lower pitch props push the boat with seemingly much less strain. Obviously this is not scientific, ie no rpm data, but if you don't need speeds over 36 you might like the lower pitch.

From the 537, I might have lost 1MPH on the top end, but it will bump the rev limiter if you really stay on it (I never run true WOT for very long anyway - but I cruise fast when getting somewhere)

I run in the 42-44mph (GPS) with the 857 and that is pretty much the same I had with the 537... the key difference is the crusin RPM did come up, but it is worth the additional 'umpf' outta the hole. I hate that struggling fealin when pulling a boarder with lots of ballast and/or folks

Can't wait to ride with you guys (RiverRunner, Brad, & TJ)... at the TX WOW Rockon.gif

The only time that the high end speed has been an issue is the first time we had the boat out, had to open it up being new and all and you could hear/feel the rev limiter backed off a little and no problem. For now I will trade the top end for power on the low end but, I plan to switch out the props one weekend to see the difference.

When I get around to getting a spare I'll probably get the 857 - at least for variation.

I frequent very familiar waters and only time I had a prop issue was when I backed over my own rope handle at one of the '04 WOWs.

Fixed it quick with pliers (had a marina mechanic on board).