Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Leaking T Handle Drain Plug in 99 Sunsetter LXI

A small problem is driving me nuts. Our T Handle Drain Plug through the bottom just under the front of the engine leaks constantly. A normal teflon tape wrap does nothing to stop the leak. Wrapping a lot of teflon tape around it and screwing it in lightly will stop the leak for a week or so and then it starts leaking again. Tightning it more might stop the leak for another few days or not. We are pretty sure it's the threads leaking but the plug threads look OK and we can't feel any burrs on the female threads in the hull so we can't figure out why this brass plug leaks. We have tried the smaller transom plug in the drain hole but it still leaks. There must be a simple fix for this without resorting to a goey sealent used in gas and copper pipe threads and mucking up a nice bilge.

Does anyone have a fix?

A small problem is driving me nuts. Our T Handle Drain Plug through the bottom just under the front of the engine leaks constantly. A normal teflon tape wrap does nothing to stop the leak. Wrapping a lot of teflon tape around it and screwing it in lightly will stop the leak for a week or so and then it starts leaking again. Tightning it more might stop the leak for another few days or not. We are pretty sure it's the threads leaking but the plug threads look OK and we can't feel any burrs on the female threads in the hull so we can't figure out why this brass plug leaks. We have tried the smaller transom plug in the drain hole but it still leaks. There must be a simple fix for this without resorting to a goey sealent used in gas and copper pipe threads and mucking up a nice bilge.

Does anyone have a fix?

rub sum wax on the threads both male & female...not soap unless your bilige is dirty.

jkendallmsce

Does anyone have a fix?

Sounds like that is a warranty item.

Had the same problem on our 2010...not sure what Malibu did to fix the problem. But I had to use channel locks to tighten it so it would stop leaking before taking it in last fall for some warranty items.

Are you seeing the water come in from the center drain?

This may be way off, but search HDS on this forum. When I was seeing water in the bilge I thought it was coming from the center drain. It was actually the first sign that my HDS was leaking.

if the lxi is build like my response there may be another source for that problem.

my response has a (plastic?) liner laying in the hull under the engine. makes it look purdy.

this liner and the hull have been drilled for the drain.

water in the bilge will creep between that liner and the hull.

often it looks like there is water swelling up from that plug but in reality its just weeping out at that hole from between liner and hull.

Edited by tvano
  • 11 years later...

We have a Malibu sunsetter lxi 1999 and their is a leak coming from around the centre drain plug, it does not appear to be the plug itself. Any ideas as how to fix this..?

4 hours ago, HSOB said:

We have a Malibu sunsetter lxi 1999 and their is a leak coming from around the centre drain plug, it does not appear to be the plug itself. Any ideas as how to fix this..?

If the plug sleeve is loose it could leak.  They are installed by forming a flange on both ends while the sleeve is in the hull.  Yours could be a bit loose or maybe compromised by hitting something under water.  Carefully inspect above and below the hull to see if you can find any damage to the upper or lower flange.  If it is badly damaged, you may need to replace it.

If it is simply loose, your dealer should have a tool to reform the flange after applying some 3M 5000-type urethane sealant.  If it is not terribly loose, remove the plug and use some 4000 or 5000 sealant to caulk around the flange from below, and work it under the flange as much as possible.  You can then do the same thing from above, but be careful to not get a glob on the threads.  This would work best if everything is bone dry before you begin.